Re: [SoloWarGame] torpedo firing solitaire?

  • Bob M.
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
      I play "Sea Wars" and "Warship" by A & A Games Engineering.

      http://andrew.finch3.users.btopenworld.com/sea_wars.htm

      Sea Wars has long turns (in scale. 15 minutes IIRC). Warship has shorter
      turns but torps are handled in the same way.

      Torpedoes are launched and hits determined by die roll. No need for aiming
      or tracking shots.

      Hope this helps,
      Regards,
      Bob

      On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:50:26 -0000, thedrake70458

      > Have a quick question on firing torpedos while playing solo naval
      > games--how do you handle this in your solo games?
    • Bob M.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
        Had some coffee now!

        To make this a bit more universally useful...

        Rather than having to worry the player with aiming and tracking the fish,
        develop a system that puts the emphasis on crew skill.

        For example A wants to launch torpedoes at B.

        Now in most systems, player A has to figure out the angle he wishes to use
        in hopes of intercepting B at some future point in the game.

        Instead figure an approximate time to impact, assuming all goes well. Note
        this down.\

        If the rules have provisions for torps launches to be unobserved, test B.
        If B has spotted the launch, B can take evasive action. This may alter the
        time of impact computed above. Note the change.

        When time of impact arrives, conduct the attack. First see if the
        torpedoes were well aimed by testing against the quality of the launching
        crew. If they fail this test, the attack is over (although you could allow
        for the possibility of ships further along being hit).

        If A passed its aim test, time to test B to see if they avoid. If B passes
        its test, the torpedoes have missed. If not they hit and inflict damage.

        Some record keeping involved but no need to actually lay the fish on the
        table.

        Mind you even the above is a bit more involved than the Sea Wars and
        Warship rules. Still this is a system that could probably be adapted to
        any of the other naval rule sets out there.

        Regards,
        Bob M.

        > Torpedoes are launched and hits determined by die roll. No need for
        > aiming
        > or tracking shots.

      • thedrake70458
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004