Re: [SoloWarGame] how to start

  • ken.blackley@agric.gov.ab.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2000
      A bit of basic question this. I've newly taken up wargaming (or retaken it
      up after many years) and I want to try solo gaming. Any hints on how to go about
      starting? I have medieval in mind (WOTR) and I'm UK based. All hints gratefully
      received.

      Chipco's "Days of Knights" isn a good system for solo play (not a lot of
      micro-management) and works well for the Wotr.

      Ken
    • kennhart@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2000
        Greetings Graham,

        I would contact Kris Constable, membership secretary of the Solo Wargamers
        Association, but there again I'm the Editor of Lone Warrior and am definately
        biase!

        Good Soloing,

        Kenn
      • David.Heading@jet.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2000
          Graham Hill wrote:
          > A bit of basic question this. I've newly taken up
          > wargaming (or retaken it up after many years) and I want to
          > try solo gaming. Any hints on how to go about starting? I
          > have medieval in mind (WOTR) and I'm UK based. All hints
          > gratefully received.

          Well, you already have had some good advice, so I'll add my ha'p worth.

          Try the WRG set DBA (which means something in Latin, which I'm not going to
          try to spell - well, De Bellis Antiqatis or something close). Nice fast
          games which give an abstract feel. Ken's suggestion of DoK is probably good
          too, although they are slightly harder to find this side of the Atlantic.
          Also, look for Paul Grace's comments on using the boardgame 'Kingmaker' as a
          campaign for the battles, it should be in the list's onelist archive
          somewhere.

          More generally, try to run a campaign game - it keeps your interest up. Join
          the Solo Wargamers Association for lots of 'Solo' ideas, and make sure your
          initial attempts are not too grandiose, I've had more projects fail through
          over ambition or complexity than I care to remember. If you have to run it
          all, Keep it Simple. Start small and let it build up gradually.

          And keep asking questions here - we are all quite friendly I think.

          Cheers
          David Heading