battle cry - any way to play solo?

  • briansommers777 <brian777@centurytel.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
      i have bought this game over ebay and its mint and still in
      shrinkwrap, i was thinkin' of selling it, but.... i have been reading
      about the mechanics and it sounds really great and simple, would love
      to try it but dont want to open it unless i can easily play it solo,
      im afraid it wouldnt' work out to easily.

      Brian S

      any comments/ideas??
    • Bob S
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
        Brian,

        Assuming that you are talking about Avalon Hill's Battle Cry, I play it
        solo all of the time. My wife and daughter refuse any games that even
        hint of war so I'm on my own with Battle Cry. The game is generally not
        well respected by "serious" wargamers but it does have a big following.
        The mechanics work well for solo play with a little tweaking of how the
        cards are played. Here's what I do and it works well for me:

        Set up any scenario as suggested in the rule book (or additional
        scenarios off the net of which there are many) but ignore the number of
        cards that are to be used by each player. Instead, deal six cards face
        down for your "opponent" and four cards face up for yourself. The
        opponent cards are laid out in a line (face down) and numbered 1-6 from
        left to right. Your four cards are also laid out in a line (face up)
        and numbered (1)-(2&3)-(4&5)-(6). When it is your opponents turn roll
        2d6 (or 1d6 twice) and turn over the two cards that match the numbers on
        the dice. Decide which card would be most advantageous for your
        opponent to play - play that card - discard that card and draw another
        to put face down in its place. The other card that was not played is
        turned back face down. If you roll two of the same numbers, too bad for
        your opponent, you only turn over one card.

        To play from your four cards, place the cards such that the two that
        that you would most like to play are in the center two positions. Roll
        1d6 and play the card that matches the number on the die. For 2 and 3
        play the second card in the row, for 4 and 5 play the third card in the
        row. This means that the two center cards have a 2:1 chance of being
        played over the outside cards.

        All other rules remain the same or any of the numerous variations from
        the internet can be introduced. I use a number of other variations that
        are too long to discuss here, but none are necessary to play. The game
        lends itself to tinkering and the card driven moves make it great to
        play solo. I've played about 20 games using my method and the results
        are split about evenly between the programmed opponent and me. I like
        my method because you are kept in the dark about the opponent's cards
        and still have some choice over which card you will play. So the "fog
        of war" can still play a part in the game yet you have some control over
        your forces.

        I hope that this is helpful to you. If you have questions or comments,
        please contact me. In any event, get that shrinkwrap off of the box and
        start playing!

        Much more info at: http://users.erols.com/jadf/bc/

        Bob
        teamspader@...

        i have bought this game over ebay and its mint and still in
        shrinkwrap, i was thinkin' of selling it, but.... i have been reading
        about the mechanics and it sounds really great and simple, would love
        to try it but dont want to open it unless i can easily play it solo,
        im afraid it wouldnt' work out to easily.

        Brian S

        any comments/ideas??

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2821106.4184440.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        059196:HM/A=1328027/R=0/*http:/ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870030;7586687;u?
        http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2821106.4184440.1925585/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1328027/rand=598409142>

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: SoloWarGame@onelist.com
        Subscribe: SoloWarGame-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/SoloWarGame

      • Mike Crow <mikecwxman@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
          --- In SoloWarGame@yahoogroups.com, "briansommers777 <brian777@c...>"
          <brian777@c...> wrote:
          > i have bought this game over ebay and its mint and still in
          > shrinkwrap, i was thinkin' of selling it, but.... i have been
          reading
          > about the mechanics and it sounds really great and simple, would
          love
          > to try it but dont want to open it unless i can easily play it solo,
          > im afraid it wouldnt' work out to easily.
          >
          > Brian S
          >
          > any comments/ideas??

          Brian,

          Bob's solo approach looked very interesting. I have seen other solo
          approaches to BC discussed on the "battlecry2000" yahoo group.
          There were almost as many solo methods as players.

          Mike
        • Steve Williams <speedracer550@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
            Bob, your solo system for Battlecry seems like an excellent way to
            go. I wonder if it would transfer to other games? Also, I'd be
            interested in hearing other general or specific ways gamers solo play
            non-card games such as Squad Leader or Third Reich.
          • Bob S
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
              The main reason that I like it is that it stays pretty true to the
              mechanics of the game. Cards are discarded as used so that the choices
              are not skewed in favor of any particular type of card and the system is
              not completely random as with a dice based programmed system. You still
              get to make decisions for your army. Additionally, there are many
              variants suggested for Battle Cry at:

              http://users.erols.com/jadf/bc/

              By sticking with the card driven mechanics of the game, most of the
              variants are easy to implement.

              Bob

              059196:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http:/ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?
              http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>