Re: [SoloWarGame] Help with an opposing force generation mechanic

  • Andy Cowell
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
      In message <20021129062140.57077.qmail@...>, jim davis writ
      es:
      > write up 52 forces, assign them to cards, draw 52 maps, assign these
      > to cards. shuffle terrain deck and lay out on table, or on grid to
      > represent table. move your recon unit from area to area, turn onver
      > card and see what terrain is. roll die, decide on what die roll you
      > turn over a card form the forces deck.

      These are good ideas, but don't address the concept that I don't want
      to know what force I am facing. For example, I might be opposed by a
      squad, a platoon, a company, a battalion, or an infantry reinforced
      tank company, and after discovering a squad on the table, I still
      don't know. It seems to me that if I'm drawing cards to see what I'm
      facing, I can always refer to the reference table and see exactly what
      possible compositions my opponent might have. I wouldn't be able to
      resist. ;-)

      Maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on trying to match a real-world
      TO&Es. I could just take whatever is randomly generated, but I'd
      prefer to follow TO&Es. Yes, I agree real world forces didn't follow
      paper TO&Es, but they weren't generally random, either.

      I like the idea for the terrain, though. I had planned to use the
      multiple maps like Programmed Wargame Scenarios, but I can see a place
      for both.

      --
      "...we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain...
      that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall

      --
      "...we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain...
      that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall
      not perish from the earth." --Abraham Lincoln

      --
      "...we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain...
      that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall
      not perish from the earth." --Abraham Lincoln
    • jim davis
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
        Make up as many forces as you think reasonable 52
        being easy to work with, have your chart made but
        shuffle several decks of cards together. Now you have
        multiples of any one unit. Or make up as many as you
        want, and write them on the cards, (several decks so
        yu again have multiples) cut the deck and put part
        into a box, shuffle out number needed. At that point
        you should have no idea what is coming. The other
        alternative is to do about the same on a computer and
        have it choose.
        Jim

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Ed Lizak
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
          Start with the 52 cards. Define define black as real units and red as fake.
          Define clubs and hearts as armor cards and spades and diamonds as infantry
          cards. Mix in jokers for special events (enemy air strike?), units (HQ?),
          or whatever (civilians?).

          Place cards in all possible locations where you might find the enemy and
          reveal when appropriate. You don't know what you are facing until the
          battle is over. (i.e. If you encountered 7 infantry squads and 3 tanks -
          you just fought a company with an attached armor platoon.)

          Sure it's not really following an official TO&E but it will more often than
          not fit into one (at least as close as real armies end up at times). At
          least you have the benefit of totally not knowing if you will face a couple
          of squads or two companies or (more likely) something in between.

          Vary the ratio of armor to infantry and fake to real units to fit your
          taste.

          -EJL

          > > write up 52 forces, assign them to cards, draw 52 maps, assign these
          > > to cards. shuffle terrain deck and lay out on table, or on grid to
          > > represent table. move your recon unit from area to area, turn onver
          > > card and see what terrain is. roll die, decide on what die roll you
          > > turn over a card form the forces deck.
          >
          > These are good ideas, but don't address the concept that I don't want
          > to know what force I am facing. For example, I might be opposed by a
          > squad, a platoon, a company, a battalion, or an infantry reinforced
          > tank company, and after discovering a squad on the table, I still
          > don't know. It seems to me that if I'm drawing cards to see what I'm
          > facing, I can always refer to the reference table and see exactly what
          > possible compositions my opponent might have. I wouldn't be able to
          > resist. ;-)
          >
          > Maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on trying to match a real-world
          > TO&Es. I could just take whatever is randomly generated, but I'd
          > prefer to follow TO&Es. Yes, I agree real world forces didn't follow
          > paper TO&Es, but they weren't generally random, either.
          >
          > I like the idea for the terrain, though. I had planned to use the
          > multiple maps like Programmed Wargame Scenarios, but I can see a place
          > for both.
          >
          > --
          > "...we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain...
          > that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall
          > not perish from the earth." --Abraham Lincoln
          >

          > --
          > "...we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain...
          > that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall
          > not perish from the earth." --Abraham Lincoln
          >

          > --
          > "...we here highly resolve these dead shall not have died in vain...
          > that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall
          > not perish from the earth." --Abraham Lincoln
          >

          > Community email addresses:
          > Post message: SoloWarGame@onelist.com
          > Subscribe: SoloWarGame-subscribe@onelist.com
          >
          > Shortcut URL to this page:
          > http://www.onelist.com/community/SoloWarGame

        • Thomo the Lost Chilling
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
            Indeed, if you really really want a TO&E organisation, then draw a couple of
            possible TO&E you could be facing.

            Then, break eack of those TO&E's down into their components (battalions down
            to companies, companies down to platoons etc) and assign each of those
            compnents a card from the deck. Do this for each of the full TO&E's you
            decided are likely in the area.

            Now the randomising begins.

            When you are first likely to contact or be spotted, randomly select which
            TO&E you will be facing. Yes, you will then know what you are up against -
            sort of. Follow Ed's suggesting then by putting down the cards and slipping
            them to see what is in there (you've already assigned the component parts in
            the setup).

            Randomises it somewhat and results in some days facing a Varus, other days
            facing a Scipio :-)

            Cheers, Thomo the Lost
            Thomo's Hole temporarily at:
            http://thomo.coldie.net