Still active?

  • kroum_batchvarov
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
      I was wondering if the list is still active... A whole month has
      passed without any postiongs:)

      Regards,
      Kroum
    • jim davis
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
        probably not. I check it about once a week, and never
        find any postings. This is the first time it has sent
        a message to my mail box since I joined and I signed
        up for forwards.
        Jim
        --- kroum_batchvarov <kroum_batchvarov@...>
        wrote:
        > I was wondering if the list is still active... A
        > whole month has
        > passed without any postiongs:)
        >
        > Regards,
        > Kroum

        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/SoloWarGame
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com
      • steveoliverc
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
          I only joined last month so I'd hate to see the list dry out
          now! So I guess I should chip in something to the discussion...

          For those of you who haven't seen it yet, there is a nifty little
          magazine that appears about 2 to 4 times a year called Panzerschreck
          which is published by Minden Games. I recently picked up issue #8 and
          what a delight! This issue contains three games, two of which are
          solitaire. One is a quick game using a counter sheet and a deck of
          cards about Ernst Rohm and the Night of Long Knives in Nazi Germany
          (haven't played it yet).

          The other solo game is pretty amazing. It's a hex and counter
          treatment of the British naval raid at Zeebruggee in WWI. You have to
          mount the counters yourself (no big deal -- I put them onto magnetic
          tape) but they are full-color and show pictures of the ships and
          leaders. The mechanics are fairly robust yet definitely not
          over-blown. Worth the $14 all by itself, and for that you also get
          the other two games, scenarios for other games (including London's
          Burning), and a historical article on the Zeebrugge raid which serves
          as a nice background for the game.

          More info at: http://www.homestead.com/minden_gam
          es/Panzeschreck8.html

          Let's keep this list alive!

          Steve

          --- In SoloWarGame@y..., jim davis <jhdavis19@y...> wrote:
          > probably not. I check it about once a week, and never
          > find any postings. This is the first time it has sent
          > a message to my mail box since I joined and I signed
          > up for forwards.
          > Jim
          > --- kroum_batchvarov <kroum_batchvarov@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > I was wondering if the list is still active... A
          > > whole month has
          > > passed without any postiongs:)
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Kroum
        • The Prez
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
            Thanks for the info Steve, I have just bought an issue of the magazine on ebay to find out where it comes from and its quality.
            It's issue #5 with a WWI solitaire game "First Day of Somme ".

            It seems there is not subcription available....

            Alex

            --
            Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

            Sponsor:
            Ti serve un idraulico? Un elettricista o un imbianchino?
            Vai su QxService e troverai chi ti serve!!
            Clicca qui: http://adv2.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=845&d=21-11

          • jim davis
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
              Havn't seen the magazine, which is no surprise, as I
              am in Dallas, Tx, with no gaming shops and only a few
              model shops.
              I need to resubscribe to Lone Warrior. I let it lapse
              while i was on Magweb. Do you game solo much or is it
              just a minor interest?
              Jim

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • grbr25235@blueyonder.co.uk
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
                On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:06:33 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                >probably not. I check it about once a week, and never
                >find any postings. This is the first time it has sent
                >a message to my mail box since I joined and I signed
                >up for forwards.
                >Jim

                Does anyone sense a poetic irony here?
                It's the Solo Wargame list; what did we expect? ;-)
                John (Rohde).
              • steveoliverc
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
                  You're right, Alex -- there is no subscription available for
                  Panzerschreck -- they seem to want to keep the quality up and only
                  publish a new issue when they have something worthwhile to publish.
                  They also seem to have all of their old issues available for purchase.

                  Would you let me know how you like First Day of Somme?

                  http://www.homestead.com/minden_games/FAQ.html

                  --- In SoloWarGame@y..., "The Prez" <alextrov@e...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for the info Steve, I have just bought an issue of the
                  magazine on ebay to find out where it comes from and its quality.
                  > It's issue #5 with a WWI solitaire game "First Day of Somme ".
                  >
                  > It seems there is not subcription available....
                  >
                  > Alex
                • steveoliverc
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
                    Jim -- I've only recently gotten into the solo wargame thing. Somehow
                    I stumbled onto Raid on St. Nazaire (maybe on eBay? I can't remember)
                    and love it. Since then I've also gotten London's Burning but haven't
                    played it yet. Also picked up Pegasus Bridge (Strategies & Tactics)
                    which is a lot of fun, which is no surprise since it's by the same
                    team as ROSN.

                    I used to play a fair amount of wargames but gave it up in the 80's as
                    I got busier and finding opponent just got harder and harder. And the
                    waiting while your opponent takes their turn -- I can't believe I ever
                    had the time for that. Then a few years ago I gave the PBEM a shot
                    but most games fizzled out which was a big disappointment. So far the
                    solo games have been great -- no worries about finding an opponent,
                    and the game can progress as fast (or as slow!) as I like.

                    One aspect of solo wargames that has been a pleasant surprise is how
                    readily they lend themselves to historical research. For example,
                    I've dredged out a few books on the St. Nazaire raid from my local
                    library as well as eBay, and playing the game has become an extension
                    of researching or recreating the details from the books. The game and
                    the books go nicely hand-in-hand: the books bring detail to the
                    historical facts, while the game lets me play out my own strategies --
                    and greatly increases my appreciation for the courage of the men
                    involved in the raid.

                    The other thing I've realized is that even if a solo game has a
                    CyberBoard gamebox available, I still prefer to play the "real" game.
                    Something about laying out the board and handling the pieces? Or
                    maybe after working with computers all day I just don't want to spend
                    my leisure time on a computer :)

                    So, Jim -- what solo wargames do you recommend?

                    Steve

                    --- In SoloWarGame@y..., jim davis <jhdavis19@y...> wrote:
                    > ... Do you game solo much or is it
                    > just a minor interest?
                    > Jim
                  • jim davis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 20, 2002
                      I got interested i solo as I tried to learn and figure
                      out the best ways to play miniature games rather tahn
                      board games. I had started in board games with
                      Tactics 2 in 58 or 59 in the service. After I
                      discovered miniatures I played them more than board
                      games. When I had a family my 3-4 nights a week
                      gaming ended, and I started to do more small solo
                      games I could play in spare moments. Then a move from
                      Los Angeles to Dallas, where there are less gamers.
                      I use board games as basis for setting up miniatures,
                      or campaigns. And I still use solo to learn new
                      rules.
                      I have subscribed to Lone Warrior and picked up ideas
                      from it, but don't have a fixed system. I would guess
                      WW2 and 7 years war are the periods I solo most
                      frequently. I use some Lone Warrior ideas to lay our
                      the forces, but mostly it is just walk around the
                      table and try to think what an aggressive or defensive

                      commander would do. I frequntly have to take breaks
                      between moves for real life, so this helps keep me
                      "unaware " of the enemy plans.
                      A friend was telling me of a set of Scirmish rules,
                      Guns and Girls, that have reaction tests that cause
                      the characters to act in certain ways, which sounds
                      interestion. So I intend to look into that.
                      So far as rule sets, I have been using Spearhead and
                      Battlefront for WW2 and Konig Krieg for 7YW.

                    • RGS48@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                        << I was wondering if the list is still active... A whole
                        month has passed without any postiongs:) >>

                        That's because we've all been busy playing with ourselves!
                      • The Prez
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                          Sure. The problem is that it will be the 15th in the queue of games (mainly solo but not only) that I still have to play since I decided to
                          re-start my collection. I will try to give it an higher priority ;-)

                          Ciao,

                          Alex
                          You're right, Alex -- there is no subscription available for
                          Panzerschreck -- they seem to want to keep the quality up and only
                          publish a new issue when they have something worthwhile to publish.
                          They also seem to have all of their old issues available for purchase.

                          Would you let me know how you like First Day of Somme?

                          http://www.homestead.com/minden_games/FAQ.html

                          --
                          Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

                          Sponsor:
                          Mobili da giardino, semi, piante, abbigliamento. Tutto questo (e molto altro...) lo trovi solo da Peraga.
                          Clicca qui: http://adv2.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=449&d=21-11

                        • The Prez
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                            > while i was on Magweb. Do you game solo much or is it
                            > just a minor interest?
                            > Jim

                            I think I have now all the solo wargames available (not modern wars), I
                            have not time to play them too much and the queue of unplayed games is very
                            long. I also collect other non-solo wargame and boardgame and for my
                            preferite ones I decided to give me the utopic goal to develope solitaire
                            rules.
                            I am fascinated by this aspect, to develope solitaire rules for non-solo
                            games, I had a lot of projects in the 80s now lost so I decided to free the
                            waiting list playing at least once all the games, then to focus on this
                            activity again dedicating more time to each single solo-game or game to be
                            "solitairized".

                            I always played solo since no one in my community shared with me this hobby
                            and, on the other hand, I never had the coherence to join any local game
                            club. Too many different hobbies, commitments and interests for so few time,
                            so solo was a consequence.

                            What is Lone Warrior?

                            Ciao,

                            Alex

                            --
                            Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

                            Sponsor:
                            Vuoi dare nuova vita ai colori della tua casa? L'imbianchino adatto a
                            te è su QxService! Ridai vita alla tua casa cliccando qui!!
                            Clicca qui: http://adv2.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=841&d=21-11
                          • jim davis
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 21, 2002
                              A magazine published in both the US and UK devoted to
                              solo wargaming. comes out 4x year. (US contact/editor
                              is Rich Barbuto at rbarbuto@.... It is also
                              available on Magweb (www.magweb.com)
                              Several articles each issue by people on how they
                              conduct their solo games, program their opponents, run
                              campaigns.
                              Jim