Mexican caballeros

  • drickman1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6 6:16 AM
      Hello,
      Several years ago someone (was it Quatro?) posted a description to
      this site of Mexican caballeros of the 18th century. It was in
      Spanish and rather obscure Spanish at that. Does anyone else
      remember that quote and can they tell me how to find it again?
      Thanks.

      David
    • Frank C. Martinez IV
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7 11:28 PM
        Hola David y amigos,
        Well, the message is #1280, which can be found by putting the
        number in the "go to" box in any screen on the group website that
        shows messages. So what goes, David, are you going to paint
        something like that? That would be cool. Speaking of which, how
        goes the manual for La Puri? Anyway, hope the message link gets you
        there.
        Oh yeah, by the way, I found an entry for another movie, I was
        wondering if anyone had ever seen it. It's got Ricardo Montelban in
        it, and it's called:

        Kino, the Padre on Horseback
        http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:97837
        http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:125459

        Anyway, more later.
        iv

        --- In Soldados@yahoogroups.com, "drickman1" <drickman@s...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > Several years ago someone (was it Quatro?) posted a description to
        > this site of Mexican caballeros of the 18th century. It was in
        > Spanish and rather obscure Spanish at that. Does anyone else
        > remember that quote and can they tell me how to find it again?
        > Thanks.
        >
        > David
      • drickman1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8 7:26 AM
          Hola Quatro!
          Many thanks for replying. Odd that I thought this Spanish was
          obscure. That was 2001, and at the time I was working on other
          projects. I hadn't done research in old Spanish documents for quite
          a while. Since then, between La Purisima, the Anza Trail, and
          another project, I have had a real refresher course in Spanish. This
          stuff reads pretty easily, even if it does contain words
          like "cuaco." But again, muchas gracias, amigo.

          I have been stretched in a lot of different directions lately,
          between the projects I mentioned above, a new one for San Juan
          Bautista State Historic Park in California, and just earning a
          living. I licensed to McGraw-Hill Publishers a picture of a soldado
          de cuera I did for Carlos Lopez and "Ristre" magazine last year. It
          will go into their new California History textbook for elementary
          schools. I have to tell you that what set me off on my research
          years ago was my own 4th grade California History textbook, which
          used those illustrations of Anza in a plumed hat followed by
          soldados in morions and cuirasses. You know the ones. I believe I
          was inspired at first (because they are nice pictures) and then
          diappointed. I realized even then that if Anza came into California
          in 1776, then he and his men would look more like George Washington
          than the Three Musketeers. So this is the culmination, in a way, of
          a lifelong ambition - and earned me a whopping $200 besides.

          I have promised that the La Purisima Costume Manual will be
          completed in time for Joe McCummins' retirement later this year, and
          so it must be. It is practically written now, and is waiting on
          illustrations.

          The Anza Trail illustrations are coming along as well. I have been
          grabbing spare hours at lunch to answer the comments of the
          reviewers. I've been told by my client, the National Park Service,
          that my replies are not required, but I do them because they have
          really made me review my research and improve it - and I am grateful
          to my reviewers for that, especially Dr. Jack Williams.

          Best wishes,
          David

          --- In Soldados@yahoogroups.com, "Frank C. Martinez IV"