Mostly improbable or mostly impossible?

  • Jessie Randy Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
      I'm just totally shocked that our history books would lie about where
      Washington died and was reburied. Just simply shocked. I was
      discussing the matter with Queen Victoria and Genghis Khan while we
      had tea with Emperor Maximilian. Genghis told me that he is waiting
      to die while his burial tomb is being built in the Australian
      Outback. The Gobi Desert secret place was just a blind.

      Okay I'm jes a touch crazy sometimes when I'm funnin a little, but
      seriously, this dude needs to come up with a more plausible "theory"
      I am anxious to hear new ideas about history all the time. BUT BE
      REALISTIC!
    • prezelskijr@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
        I am surprised that with all this discussion concerning this Nevada thing
        that not one individual has mentioned the bizarre but true affair concerning the
        confusion between Captain Antonio Pol of the Catalan Volunteers and Benedict
        Arnold. That nugget could potentially be the basis for all sorts of wacky
        historical fiction.

        Tom Prezelski
        Tucson, Arizona
      • gus martinez
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
          This is the obvious "stun grenade thrown into the crowded room". Well, do
          tell Tom. You're the first native of the area in question to answer the
          Area 51-ish story that's been going on for a bit now.

        • prezelskijr@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2003
            The tale is briefly detailed in Joseph Sanchez' book about the Catalan
            Volunteers (Spanish Bluecoats).

            It seems that Lieutenant Antonio Pol was reported AWOL to the 2nd Company of
            Catalan Volunteers in 1774 after a spat with his superiors. For some reason,
            a spectacular and elaborate rumor emerged that Pol had changed his name to
            Benedict Arnold and was serving in the army rebelling against British rule in the
            13 colonies. Apparently, the two men shared a physical resemblance. At any
            rate, Spanish agents in Philadelphia checked up on the story, and after
            lengthy investigation, decided there was nothing to it. Well before this time, of
            course, Pol had returned to service.

            What I am not clear about is where Pol served. A major flaw in Sanchez's
            book is the unclear chronology and the habit of mingling the stories of the two
            companies. As most folks know, the 2nd Company served in central Mexico,
            Sonora and California, but I am not sure where Pol was assigned, or when. Pol's
            previous company, the Mountain Fusiliers, did serve in the Seri wars of Sonora
            from 1767-1772. There are folks on this site far more knowledgeable (and
            pedantic) about these things than I. Perhaps one of them could contribute or
            correct me.

            At any rate, I just mentioned this to illustrate a pet peeve that I am sure I
            share with most of you, namely the habit of so many people to just make
            things up about the Spanish frontier when there is plenty of legitimate history to
            be found that is full of bizarre stories. This goes beyond the black legend
            misconception of men in funny helmets randomly killing Indians and seeking
            gold. The delusional folks who tear up our public lands looking for "Spanish
            Mines" and the random hucksters like this guy in Nevada have people convinced that
            some conspiracy exists to suppress the "real history." Oddly enough, they
            never seem to have looked into the conspiracy that exists to suppress the
            reality of our Spanish heritage.

            Thanks,

            Tom Prezelski
            Tucson, Arizona
          • gus martinez
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27, 2003
              Cool story. Spanish Bluecoats is one of those books I look forward to
              picking up someday on E-bay since the title is long out of print (or so I'm
              told).

              I won't forward the latest reply by "The Insidious Nevada Huckster" who
              lately claims that simultaneous to the American Revolution, Nicholas the
              last Czar of Russia was secreted to Nevada or Arizona to escape their 1918
              revolution. The guy can't keep his chronology straight since one minute
              he's in the 1700s the next he's floored it to the late 1800s before dropping
              back to the early 1800s. Characters of all types from Washington,
              Jefferson, et. al., end up being the college drinking buddies of guys like
              Czar Nicholas. Whut the hey even the least knowledgable of the members on
              our board is far smarter & keen than this screwball. I've decided to leave
              well enough alone on the other board since I think (or I hope) the
              membership over there will see what a sham the guy is. Unfortunately, in a
              land where there's a sucker born every minute, someone will come along with
              money in tow and decide to "invest it" in this guy's schemes, believing
              hook, line, & sinker. Did I forget to mention this apparently Asian guy
              claims also to be part Native American with telepathic powers that will
              allow him to see the land "for what it is" and not what was taught to us in
              books or Schoolhouse Rock?

              g.
              who's quite happy looking into the future with his Magic 8 ball, thank you
              very much.