9191Books for Soldados

  • virgilee711
    Jan 22, 2014

      Hola Soldados,

      I've been sorting through my collection and have come up with some material for your winter reading pleasure; here are two books for sale:

      "Without Noise of Arms  The 1776 Dominguez-Escalante search for a route from Santa Fe  to Monterey."

      Walter Briggs and art by Wilson Hurley  Northland Press, Flagstaff  2nd print 1986

      This book is a coffee table size edition with gorgeous art showing some sights the expedition would have viewed;  it is in great condition -- I just finished reading it and recommend it as source material for geographical points in the South - West.

      Also noted are other explorers as well as Lt. Col. Anza's contributions toward 'pacification' of the New Mexican tribes and his expeditions to Alta California.

      Asking $ 15.00 + shipping (probably $ 4.00)

      And for those Soldados with a sailor's heart:

      "For Honor & Country; The diary of Bruno De Hezeta"

      (Translation and annotation by Hebert K. Beals

      Western Imprints   The Press of the Oregon Historical Society  1985

      A good read of the naval explorations sent by the Spanish crown to find the North-West passage and scout out new outposts to the North of Monterey. Starting with Cabrillo and finishing with Hezeta' diary.

      The dust-jacket shows a little wear, but the book is in excellent condition.

      Asking $ 12.00 + shipping (probably 4.00)

      If interested, please contact me off-list.  I check emails regularly.

      Thanks for looking.

      Lee