Moving Forward..also posted on NASC announcements list serv...

  • formulasun
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2007
      A couple of years ago Toyota used the slogan "Moving Forward"...That
      seems appropriate in the context of the announcement I have today.

      The North American Solar Challenge 2008 will moving forward now thanks
      primarily to a generous donation from the Toyota Corporation. More
      details will follow but know that we will do all we can to produce an
      event on par or better than we've done before.

      So, keep working on your project...(maybe even those who put their
      projects on hold????) and come prepared to test your ideas and dreams
      against those of your peers...

      I must, in this email, give credit where it is due...

      Many of you wrote letters and made phone calls to help find us the
      resources we needed to continue. I offer a heartfelt thanks to all
      that have continued to work and help find support for our mutual goal
      of presenting a safe and fair arena to test your ideas. The contact
      with Toyota came as a result of persistence by Brian Ignaut, Project
      Manager of the University of Michigan's solar car team. From all of
      us, THANKS, Brian for staying in there long enough to make it happen.

      OK back to work...more later..

      Dan Eberle
      North American Solar Challenge
    • Ryan Ellis
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2007
        Great work Dan, Brian and crew.

        On 8/30/07, formulasun <deberle@...> wrote:

        > A couple of years ago Toyota used the slogan "Moving Forward"...That
        > seems appropriate in the context of the announcement I have today.
        >
        > The North American Solar Challenge 2008 will moving forward now thanks
        > primarily to a generous donation from the Toyota Corporation. More
        > details will follow but know that we will do all we can to produce an
        > event on par or better than we've done before.
        >
        > So, keep working on your project...(maybe even those who put their
        > projects on hold????) and come prepared to test your ideas and dreams
        > against those of your peers...
        >
        > I must, in this email, give credit where it is due...
        >
        > Many of you wrote letters and made phone calls to help find us the
        > resources we needed to continue. I offer a heartfelt thanks to all
        > that have continued to work and help find support for our mutual goal
        > of presenting a safe and fair arena to test your ideas. The contact
        > with Toyota came as a result of persistence by Brian Ignaut, Project
        > Manager of the University of Michigan's solar car team. From all of
        > us, THANKS, Brian for staying in there long enough to make it happen.
        >
        > OK back to work...more later..
        >
        > Dan Eberle
        > North American Solar Challenge

      • Brian Cole
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2007
          http://tinyurl.com/2pwth5
          Info on Design Reviews for the Vehicle Design Summit.
          The Systems Architecture Review will be at MIT on
          September 9th, 2007.

          I can't locate the message from someone who attended
          the VDS and learned useful info applicable to solar
          cars, but didn't give specifics. Such info would be of
          value to other solar car teams as well. Please tell us
          more.

          http://www.technewsworld.com/story/58833.html
          "Nanotubes Power Paper-Thin Battery"

          http://tinyurl.com/yudg6x
          "World's First Air-Powered Car: Zero Emissions by Next
          Summer"
          In Popular Mechanics magazine, no less. Cool looking
          car, but I'm still thinking "weird science."

          Lastly, how would all-wheel steering and/or all-wheel
          drive, vs that of a single wheel/axle, affect vehicle
          handling should a tire blow?
          -brian

        • Jerome Powell
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2007
            So is the preliminary mechanical part still due Sep 1st ? Do we still need
            to give $5,000? Are A-300 cells approved?

            Jerome Powell

            PM Electrical Team

            UTSVT

            _____

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2007
              Jerome,
              The regulations as written continue to be in force...
              Your mechanical report should be done Sept 1. (however I believe Andrew
              Rutgers will make some adjustment due to the holding pattern we have
              been in... But the report needs to be done soon so we can get feedback
              to you...Watch the listserv for updates...

              Your entry fee does not change... We need it to put on the event...

              Nor does the criterion for cell selection for use on the larger array
              the cells need to be available commercially to any team that wants them
              at less than $10 per watt (bare cell) Right now the Sunpower cells you
              referenced fit that category.....Thanks for your interest..Take care..DE

              Dan Eberle
              Building Technologies Program
              Crowder College MARET Center
              417.455.5666