Re: Ikeda's true identity [SGI] Buddha images

  • Don Gropp
    Message 1 of 98 , Nov 1, 2008
      <<attaining Enlightenement - it is only through Shakyamuni that
      we are able to do so>>

      No. It is not.

      "Now in the Latter Day of the Law, neither the Lotus Sutra nor the
      other sutras lead to enlightenment. Only Nam-myoho-renge-kyo can do
      so. And this is not merely my own opinion. Shakyamuni, Taho and all
      the other Buddhas of the ten directions have so determined. [WND, p. 903]

      --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Rogow"
      <illarraza@...> wrote:

      > Dear Don:
      >
      > I advise you to read Dharmajim's commentary, Two Good Dharma Friends
      > Discuss the Lotus Sutra and believe Nichiren when he says the Lotus
      > Sutra was preached from the golden mouth of Shakyamuni Buddha. Now as
      > far as
      >
      > Both the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren Daishonin state that "Shakyamuni
      > Buddha attained enlightenment at a time even more distant than
      > gohyaku jintengo." (MW, Vol.2, p.268)
      >
      > "But forever here preaching the law."
      >
      > "I forever remain in this [world]"
      >
      > "And then I tell all creatures
      > That I exist forever in this world"
      >
      > "I [Shakyamuni] tell all creatures that I [Shakyamuni] exist forever
      > in this world."
      > "By the power of tactful methods
      > Revealing [myself] extinct and not extinct"
      >
      > "[If] in other regions there are beings
      > Reverent and with faith aspiring
      > Again I am in their midst"
      >
      > "I behold all living creatures
      > Sunk in the sea of suffering
      > Hence I do not reveal myself"
      >
      > "Hence I [Shakyamuni] do not reveal myself" (although "I" am always
      > present.)
      >
      > "Till, when their hearts are longing,
      > I appear to preach the Law:"
      >
      > "I therefore appear to all living creatures."
      >
      > All living creatures include those who have existed since time
      > without beginning, those who now exist, and those who will exist in
      > the infinite future.
      >
      > "[I am] always on the Divine Vulture Peak
      > And in every other dwelling place".
      >
      > This is self explanatory.
      >
      > "Tranquil is this realm of mine,
      > Ever filled with heavenly beings,
      > Parks, and many palaces
      > With every kind of gem adorned,
      > Precious trees full of blossoms and fruit,
      > where all beings take their pleasure"
      >
      > Again, "ever" is forever [eternal] and "all" is all throughout the
      > Three Existences. This passage brings up a very important point: Not
      > only the Buddha Shakyamuni who teaches all beings the eternity of
      > life is eternal but so is his land and so are the masses of beings.
      >
      > "But all who perform virtuous deeds
      > And are gentle and upright
      > These all see that I exist."
      >
      > Again, "all" is all. Those who existed, exist and will exist(from
      > the standpoint of the Truth of Temporary Existence) who perform
      > virtuous deeds and are gentleand upright, these beings see that
      > Shakyamuni always exists. Does that mean that those who don't see
      > Shakyamuni Buddha exists, those such as Nikken, Ikeda, and yourself,
      > are not virtuous and upright?
      >
      > "For the Buddha's words are true, not false.
      > Like the Physician who with clever device,
      > In order to cure his demented sons,
      > Though indeed alive, annonces his own death
      > Yet can not be charged with any falsehood,
      > I, too, being father of this world,
      > Who heals all misery and affliction,
      > For the sake of the perverted people,
      > Though truly alive, say [I am] extinct;
      >
      > Who is the father of this Saha world who heals all misery and all
> [...]
    • jodine richards
      Message 98 of 98 , Nov 3, 2008
        Dear Mark,

        Pondering our dispute on the true teacher, I think the Lotus Sutra is a conversation with the Buddha, the Thus Come One, the World honored one..According to our teachings, the law is inherent in all life n death phenomena since time without beginning, shakyamuni buddha was awakened to it since time without beginning as do all the buddhas throughout existences..

        Therefore, shakyamuni buddha was just awakened to it, n entrusted his learning to the other bodhisattvas...

        In the life span, he revealed that the eternity of his life, which is not even half exhaustd was due to this bodhisattva practice, yet, he, n all the buddhas of the 10 directions, as well as treasure tower were awakened to it along with him...

        In this world, this shakyamuni buddha was tasked to propagate it, but in the Opening of the eyes, he was also entrusted by Asita, a seer...He learned Nam Myoho Renge Kyo from Asita n in turn, entrusted it to Bodhisattvas Superior Practices team...

        As of today's reality, I learned it from Nichiren daishonin, n without the efforts of Makiguchi, Toda n Ikeda of achieving this propagation far n worldwide,  I wouldnt be here, so whatever the argument is.....we, at soka gakkai, owe debts of gratitude regarding Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, first to Nichiren Daishonin because he propagated it in this latter day of the law, just as Shakyamuni said it would...and so I follow the path of this entrustment in that order...
        And I guess thats for soka members too...It is not to the hokke kempon or any other sect that we owe it to...My proof is our membership at soka gakkai international..

        Sincerely,
        Jodine