Re: [SGI] Re: DC incident (Was Exeunt)

  • thedaddy@bloomingpouf.com
    Message 1 of 78 , Aug 1, 2008
      dharmaseeker64 wrote:

      > --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:SokaGakkaiUnofficial%40yahoogroups.com>, "thedaddy@..."
      > <thedaddy@...> wrote: Hi thedaddy,
      >
      > I was only aware of the D.C. incident as it was reported during our
      > last district meeting hosted at my house. I only read about West
      > Hollywood on this board.
      >
      > - ds

      FWIW

      I understand that SGI in all it's multitudinousness forms across the
      planet recognises that Violence, whether active or passive, is not
      acceptable and should not be encouraged. That SGI-USA promotes a Youth
      Initiative known as Victory Over Violence (VOV) should be considered in
      light of the reports of Violence, whether seen as active or passive,
      since 13 July 2008 and should there be any value in this initiative ...
      well evidently some folks may need to look at the works books and other
      materials that are freely available on-line.

      Considering the Ghandi, King, Ikeda exhibitions world wide it is most
      interesting that Ghandi's words on the nature of passive violence are
      used by VOV! Mahatma Gandhi said, "passive violence fuels the fire of
      physical violence; and if we want to put out the fire of physical
      violence, logically we have to cut off the fuel supply."

      Perhaps some of the folks need to have a look at the VOV pledge and even
      take it! http://www.vov.com/VOV%20Pledge.PDF

      I _____________________
      (print name)

      · will value my own life. Recognizing that a lack of self-identity and
      hope for the future
      lay at the roots of all violence, I will reach beyond my limitations,
      taking concrete steps
      each day to uncover my real potential. I will never give up on my
      dreams, even if they
      seem impossible.

      · will respect all life. Recognizing that violence comes in many forms,
      I will not isolate
      myself but will create an environment where others feel comfortable and
      can be
      themselves. I will see beyond superficial differences and reflect on my
      own behavior.

      · will inspire hope in others. With courage, I will resolutely stand up
      against violence, be
      it verbal, physical or passive and teach others through my own example.
      I will support
      others and encourage them to follow their dreams.

      ________________________ ___________
      (signature) (date)
      © 1999 Soka Gakkai International-USA

      @~>~>~~~

      vi·o·lence - Pronunciation: \ˈvī-lən(t)s, ˈvī-ə-\
      Function: noun
      Date: 14th century

      1 a: exertion of physical force so as to injure or abuse (as in warfare
      effecting illegal entry into a house) b: an instance of violent
      treatment or procedure
      2: injury by or as if by distortion, infringement, or profanation : outrage
      3 a: intense, turbulent, or furious and often destructive action or
      force <the violence of the storm> b: vehement feeling or expression :
      fervor; also : an instance of such action or feeling c: a clashing or
      jarring quality : discordance
      4: undue alteration (as of wording or sense in editing a text)

      The SGI Website Known As "Victory Over Violence" http://www.vov.com/ says;

      Victory Over Violence FACT SHEET

      Quest For Peace- Working Toward a Non-Violent World

      Victory Over Violence (VOV) is a youth-sponsored initiative to help
      young people identify and counteract the root causes of violence in
      their lives and in their communities. VOV outreach programs began in
      1999 as a response to growing concerns over the rise in youth-related
      violence.

      The Goals of VOV

      1. To promote awareness, introspection and the spirit of non-violence
      through dialogue among our youth, our families, our schools and our
      communities in order to inspire and awaken the energies for positive change.

      2. To provide "a source of hope and courage for young people who have
      suffered the effects of violence."

      3.To "transform the tendency to downplay the sanctity of life that
      became deeply rooted in the minds of our children during the twentieth
      century, the century of war and violence."

      The Many Faces of Violence

      "It's hard to imagine a time in my life when there was no violence."
      Acts of violence take many forms. The impact may be subtle or severe,
      but it is always destructive. Few were unaffected by the images and
      stories of school shootings in places like Littleton Colorado, West
      Paducah, Kentucky, Jonesboro, Arkansas, or Santee, California.

      The physical acts of violence like school shootings and fighting are
      obvious, but what about the passive violence we commit each day?

      "Being treated like a non-entity was perhaps the deepest act of anger
      against my soul, one that still cuts me to the bone today."

      Mahatma Gandhi said, "passive violence fuels the fire of physical
      violence; and if we want to put out the fire of physical violence,
      logically we have to cut off the fuel supply." What is passive violence?
      According to Gandhi and his grandson Arun, passive violence are the
      things that we do to disrespect other people's (and our own) lives, such
      as name-calling, teasing, judging and criticizing. These small and often
      inconspicuous acts that we commit are actually a form of violence. So
      what causes passive violence?

      On a deeper level, many people, including great leaders of our time,
      have said that a lack of self-identity can lead to passive violence. In
      other words, without a strong sense of confidence in knowing who we are,
      we can end up feeling insecure and even develop an insecurity complex.
      As philosopher Daisaku Ikeda put it, "When you succumb to a complex, you
      are likely to see everything about yourself in a negative light. When
      something doesn't work out for you, you tend to blame it on those things
      which make you feel inferior: 'It's because I'm short' and so forth."
      Lacking a solid sense of who we are makes us feel insecure, and this can
      cause us to compare ourselves to others and even criticize or judge
      others because they are different from us. Gandhi was referring to
      judgment and criticism when he stated that passive violence leads to
      physical violence.

      Be The Change You Wish To See In The World

      How do we counteract violence, especially passive violence? First of
      all, it is important to stop comparing ourselves to others, since it is
      neither good for us, nor for others. Second, we can embrace and accept
      ourselves for who we are today - not for the person we want to be in 5
      years, or for the person we're glad we're not, but for the person that
      we are today. When we accept ourselves for who we are, we free ourselves
      from the shackles of comparison and allow ourselves to grow and develop
      from where we are now. Next, we can do our best to confront whatever
      task or challenge with which we are faced. By doing our best, we develop
      a form of confidence that enables us to feel good about who we are as
      individuals and that helps us to see our shared identity as human
      beings. When people start to awaken to their deeper identity, we create
      a revolution in consciousness and begin to see our similarities rather
      than focus on our differences.

      This is the idea that Martin Luther King Jr. spoke of when he said, "I
      have a dream my four little children will one day live in a nation where
      they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of
      their character." We can all make a difference by changing ourselves,
      one step at a time. A Nobel Laureate recently said, "If you wish to
      change the people then you have to change yourself. If you're successful
      at changing yourself, then you have a responsibility to change the
      world." It is up to all of us. Are we going to do nothing and let
      violence continue its bloody path, or, as Gandhi said, are we going to
      "be the change we wish to see in the world?"

      Trust & Tolerance through Dialogue

      The VOV approach is a grassroots, peer-to-peer and heart-to-heart
      dialogue in a supportive and open atmosphere. It encourages participants
      to reflect on how violence affects their lives and how they can begin to
      make a change for the better.

      While VOV was inspired by the long-standing Buddhist traditions of
      nonviolence and respect for all living beings, VOV programs are
      interfaith and community based. This all -inclusive approach allows VOV
      programs to focus on our human potential and on the value of dialogue in
      building a culture of peace. VOV programs encourage youth to develop
      tolerance, trust and friendship with each other despite differences in
      backgrounds such as race, religion, sex, color, language, or sexual
      orientation.

      An eight-minute video, an information kit with interactive exercises, a
      VOV Peace Pledge, and vov.com website have been created to inspire and
      facilitate this dialogue toward a common ground. The kit can be adapted
      for elementary school age as well as workplace environments.

      Pledge your Peace

      At VOV events throughout the nation, we are encouraging youth to make
      their own pledge toward living a non-violent life. This pledge is both a
      personal statement, as well as a call to action for our governments,
      schools and other institutions to take up the work of building a
      non-violent society. By signing the pledge, we resolve to:

      * Value our own lives
      * Respect all life
      * Inspire hope in others
    • Will Kallander
      Message 78 of 78 , Aug 5, 2008
        --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "sunderlandmick"
        <mickg1@...> wrote:
        > I'm impressed Will.
        >
        > I once helped a buddy move out of an apartment in London. He
        > found a slip of paper behind a radiator which turned out to
        > be a task list he had written one Saturday morning 5 years
        > earlier. It was a list of ten tasks he planned to do that
        > day, stuff like fixing the leaking faucet in the kitchen.
        > Five years later 7 of the 10 items on the list still hadn't
        > been done.

        Well, you probably shouldn't be impressed, my list is probably at
        about the same level of completion... after much more time.

        --Will