Re: Happy New Year..

  • gaydave53
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
      "Dave"wrote:

      > may all your personal determinations come to pass.
      >
      > Earth - Q Dave
      > (the other gay Dave)

      And may the other gaydave return the blessing...and may I wish you
      all a most wonderful new year!

      Lest anyone think I harbor just the negative, I want to say that my
      practice continues to be a source of unbounded personal joy,,,I
      deeply appreciate even the most challenging relationships here.

      One thing I know from my own practice is the benefit of study and the
      personal relationship we can all have with Nichiren...

      Lets all renew that personal relationship with the understanding that
      Nichiren is our ultimate mentor.

      The great benefit of this practice comes from the realization of the
      humanity of our mentors. When we see them as real human beings, then
      we can appreciate their human imperfections.

      My Japanese war bride "mama-san" taught me over 34 years ago that
      buddhism was about real human life...and not an abstraction...

      She is still with us, and I owe her a great debt of gratitiude.

      It is our humanity that gives us value...not our perfection.

      Nichiren buddhism is the revolutionary teaching that we are buddhas
      just as we are...that each of us has qualities beyond our
      comprehension.

      Josei Toda stands in my mind as a great example because of his
      imperfect humanity...not in spite of it.

      Mr. Ikeda shows me this as well...when I study his writings, I see a
      real human being...sometimes transcendent, and sometimes less so.

      That is the beauty of the Soka Gakkai, and that is why I maintain my
      relationship. My SGI friends have revealed both their vulnerable
      aspects and their innate buddhahood.

      All of my friends who have continued their practice have transformed
      their lives and proven the validity of this buddhism....without a
      single exception.

      I have watched my dearest friends conceive a lovely child even though
      it was supposedly not possible, through the earliest form of test
      tube babies.

      Today, I watch her grow in college as a real adult...and I feel the
      same joy as her parents.She is as much my child as any biological
      offspring could be...as a gay man, that is indeed a real treasure.

      For myself, I have come to see and live the concept of karma as
      mission, and I treasure my sometimes challenging relationship with
      the organization. I truly believe I have something profound to offer
      the organization...the protection and preservation of the SGI is my
      primary concern, even though it may often seem otherwise.

      I have distinct mission...and not always the most pleasant one. Yet,
      the importance of that mission cannot be overstated.

      I am here to help guide our movement into the new century...and
      beyond the magic thinking of Taisekiji. To that end, I pledge to
      continue my mission, while deeply respecting my fellow members.

      The SGI has been a source of unbounded support and friendship. I
      thank all of you for that.

      I truly believe that the SGI is our community of real human
      beings...from which we can learn the realities of this buddhism.

      I admit I don't understand this incessant emphasis on the
      mentor/disciple relationship...but at the same time, I can't see
      myself as having an inferior relationship with Mr. Ikeda.

      It's Mr. Ikeda's humanity that I try to absorb...I do believe he is
      trying to guide us away from the myths of Taisekiji...although that
      process is admitedly too slow for me.

      The fact that Ikeda and my late father were about the same age has a
      profound meaning for me...on several levels. First, it puts a human
      face on the man, just as I have come to love and appreciate my father
      for the man he was.

      My father was a very imperfect man...and yet a man of honor and
      integrity. How can I expect Mr. Ikeda to be anything else?

      I read Mr. Ikeda's writings, and I see in them an attempt to gently
      and compassionately guide us away from the myths of Taisekiji.

      I understand that many millions of his disiples hold these doctrines
      close to their hearts. It is not my wish to destroy their faith in
      these doctrines, but to come to a realization that these doctrines
      may not reflect Nichiren's teachings.

      In my case, this process has not been easy...and I don't expect it to
      be easy for others. Yet, it has to happen...it is the natural
      evolution of this buddhism.

      Brian spoke beautifully of the fact that Nichiren buddhism is
      completely compatible with even the most non-mythical concepts of
      this religion...There are no magical teachings in Nichiren
      buddhism...it is completely in accord with the natural laws of
      science.

      In the new year, I vow to continue to deeply study Nichiren's
      writings...they hold a monumental amount of wisdom and compassion,
      and I rediscover their humanity every time I reread them.

      To conclude, I extend my heartfelt appreciation to all of you here on
      this forum, and a deeply sincere wish that all of us can tap the
      unlimited fortune of this buddhism.

      Every day I seem to rediscover that unlimited fortune. After almost
      35 years of practice, I can say that every aspect of my very mundane
      life has become a priceless treasure, and that every one of you is a
      part of that.

      No matter how severely we may disagree on the minutia of doctrine, I
      do believe that we are all sincerely trying to understand this deep
      and profound teaching.

      On the first day of this year, I send all of you my most heartfelt
      best wishes and my personal vow that we, the members of this forum,
      will be the finest examples of buddhist study and dialogue among our
      peers.

      To accomplish this goal, our primary obligation is to maintain a deep
      respect for each other. I vow to do my best toward that end, and I
      ask all of you to correct me when I fall short of that goal...as I am
      inclined to do.

      I intend to initiate real, in-depth study in the SGI and Soka Spirit
      this year...I will be attending FNCC conferences on Nichiren's
      writings and I hope some of you will also commit to attend...I can
      assure you it will be a valuable investment of time and money.

      Love,
      David
      January 1, 2008
    • Robin Beck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
        --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "gaydave53"
        <gaydave53@...> wrote:

        > Nichiren buddhism is the revolutionary teaching that we are buddhas
        > just as we are...
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        No. We have to restore, reform, rehabilitate.

        that each of us has qualities beyond our comprehension.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        yes.

        robin
      • gaydave53
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
          "Robin Beck" wrote:

          > --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "gaydave53"
          > <gaydave53@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Nichiren buddhism is the revolutionary teaching that we are buddhas
          > > just as we are...
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > No. We have to restore, reform, rehabilitate.

          Well, yes, of course...but it's still there, if we can recognize and
          manifest it.

          > that each of us has qualities beyond our comprehension.
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > yes.
          >
          > robin

        • Nancy Rogow
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
            Buddha-nature, yes. Buddhahood, you have to earn it.

            Illarraza

            > > Nichiren buddhism is the revolutionary teaching that we are buddhas
            > > just as we are...
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~
            > No. We have to restore, reform, rehabilitate.

            Well, yes, of course...but it's still there, if we can recognize and
            manifest it.

            > that each of us has qualities beyond our comprehension.
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
            > yes.
            >
            > robin

          • Robin Beck
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
              <gaydave53@...> wrote:

              > "Robin Beck" wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "gaydave53"
              > > <gaydave53@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Nichiren buddhism is the revolutionary teaching that we are buddhas
              > > > just as we are...
              > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > > No. We have to restore, reform, rehabilitate.
              >
              > Well, yes, of course...but it's still there, if we can recognize and
              > manifest it.
              > >
              > > that each of us has qualities beyond our comprehension.
              > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > > yes.
              > >
              > > robin

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              We agree I think. My thought is that excessive hongaku thinking leads
              to no real need to practice more deeply; to thinking we already have
              it "as we are."

              robin
            • Robin Beck
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
                --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Rogow
                <illarraza@...> wrote:

                > Buddha-nature, yes. Buddhahood, you have to earn it.
                >
                > Illarraza
                Yes and no. I think, with faith, we do not have to accumulate all the
                merits one at a time -- Shakyamuni cedes them to us. That is a
                metaphor for unattained Buddhahood. I think.

                robin