Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

You are Wrong!

Expand Messages
  • Lee Wolfson
    President Ikeda s Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach: SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first round. The Coach wrote to PI:
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
      President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:

      SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first round.

      The Coach wrote to PI:
      "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as we
      were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and become
      a greater and more capable team."

      President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability to
      win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then your
      Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you are
      relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
      capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
      should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
      becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
      hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very important
      because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
      capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
      the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
      become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
      shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
    • kumilela
      May i ask where you received this information? It sounds very strict however encouraging. thank you! kumilela ... round. ... we ... become ... to ... your
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
        May i ask where you received this information? It sounds very
        strict however encouraging. thank you!
        kumilela
        --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Wolfson"
        <LKWolfson@...> wrote:
        >
        > President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:
        >
        > SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first
        round.
        >
        > The Coach wrote to PI:
        > "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as
        we
        > were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and
        become
        > a greater and more capable team."
        >
        > President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability
        to
        > win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then
        your
        > Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you
        are
        > relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
        > capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
        > should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
        > becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
        > hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very
        important
        > because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
        > capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
        > the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
        > become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
        > shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
        >
      • Steve Bell
        ... Lee, thanks for posting this. I read it recently - can t remember where - and I thought it was significant, but I didn t think much more about it. To me
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Wolfson"
          <LKWolfson@...> wrote:
          >
          > President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:
          >
          > SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first round.
          >
          > The Coach wrote to PI:
          > "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as we
          > were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and become
          > a greater and more capable team."
          >
          > President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability to
          > win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then your
          > Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you are
          > relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
          > capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
          > should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
          > becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
          > hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very important
          > because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
          > capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
          > the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
          > become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
          > shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
          >

          Lee, thanks for posting this. I read it recently - can't remember
          where - and I thought it was significant, but I didn't think much more
          about it.

          To me this consolidates and validates a way of thinking about my
          practice that has been developing for many years. I don't practice
          Nichiren Buddhism in order to achieve my goals. I practice as a
          Bodhisattva of the Earth because that is who I am and what I do. I
          exert myself to achieve my goals because it satisfies me as an
          ordinary human being, and because doing so supports my practice.

          Regards
          Steve
        • Lee Wolfson
          I heard this at the Culture Department meeting at FNCC. Lee
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
            I heard this at the Culture Department meeting at FNCC.


            Lee


            -- In SokaGakkaiicial@yahoogroups.com, "kumilela" <kumilela@...> wrote:
            >
            > May i ask where you received this information? It sounds very
            > strict however encouraging. thank you!
            > kumilela
            > --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Wolfson"
            > <LKWolfson@> wrote:
            > >
            > > President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:
            > >
            > > SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first
            > round.
            > >
            > > The Coach wrote to PI:
            > > "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as
            > we
            > > were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and
            > become
            > > a greater and more capable team."
            > >
            > > President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability
            > to
            > > win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then
            > your
            > > Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you
            > are
            > > relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
            > > capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
            > > should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
            > > becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
            > > hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very
            > important
            > > because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
            > > capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
            > > the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
            > > become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
            > > shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
            > >
            >
          • Andy Hanlen
            This (below) is really great. I have felt this way for years, and it s wonderful to see it in print. Completely the opposite of Santa Claus Buddhism. Great
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
              This (below) is really great. I have felt this way for years, and
              it's wonderful to see it in print. Completely the opposite of Santa
              Claus Buddhism. Great stuff.

              Cheers!

              Andy

              --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Wolfson"
              <LKWolfson@...> wrote:
              >
              > President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:
              >
              > SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first
              round.
              >
              > The Coach wrote to PI:
              > "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as
              we
              > were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and
              become
              > a greater and more capable team."
              >
              > President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability
              to
              > win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then
              your
              > Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you
              are
              > relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
              > capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
              > should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
              > becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
              > hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very important
              > because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
              > capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
              > the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
              > become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
              > shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
              >
            • gaydave53
              [Top Post] Thanks, Lee..excellent guidance...a big move away from magical thinking . I know I have fallen into that kind of thinking.How many of us have
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                [Top Post]

                Thanks, Lee..excellent guidance...a big move away from "magical
                thinking". I know I have fallen into that kind of thinking.How many
                of us have learned to use Daimoku as a crutch?

                Chanting doesn't just cause things to happen as we wish...rather, it
                helps us develop the ability to make things move in the right
                direction for our benefit and the benefit of all others.

                I really like what I'm hearing from Mr. Ikeda...I only wish I could
                get my head around the mentor disciple thing.

                At any rate, I agree with what you posted before...my "relationship"
                with Ikeda is entirely personal and I will not make public
                pronouncements or demonstrations of gushing adulation.

                Thanks, Lee

                David

                "Lee Wolfson" wrote:
                >
                > President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:
                >
                > SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first
                round.
                >
                > The Coach wrote to PI:
                > "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as
                we
                > were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and
                become
                > a greater and more capable team."
                >
                > President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability
                to
                > win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then
                your
                > Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you
                are
                > relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
                > capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
                > should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
                > becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
                > hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very important
                > because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
                > capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
                > the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
                > become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
                > shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
                >
              • ryuei2000
                ... I remember at one point when I was down in LA this past weekend saying that to me Odaimoku is kind of a meta-cause, in other words it is the cause that
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                  --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "gaydave53"
                  <gaydave53@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > [Top Post]
                  >
                  > Thanks, Lee..excellent guidance...a big move away from "magical
                  > thinking". I know I have fallen into that kind of thinking.How many
                  > of us have learned to use Daimoku as a crutch?
                  >
                  > Chanting doesn't just cause things to happen as we wish...rather, it
                  > helps us develop the ability to make things move in the right
                  > direction for our benefit and the benefit of all others.


                  I remember at one point when I was down in LA this past weekend saying
                  that to me Odaimoku is kind of a meta-cause, in other words it is the
                  cause that enables us to see and empowers us follow through on
                  whatever the particular right cause would be in any given situation.
                  Well, maybe I didn't state it that clearly, but I did talk about
                  Odaimoku as a meta-cause (as opposed to a "Santa Claus" I guess) at
                  some point.

                  I am glad that Daisaku Ikeda, who many if not all SGI members will at
                  least give some credence to, is saying these kinds of things. I think
                  it will help people mature in their practice.

                  Namu Myoho Renge Kyo,
                  Ryuei

                  ********************************************************************
                • sgiswememba
                  Love this one..! No hokus pokus daimoku just plain common sence. Thanks Lee /J ... round. ... we ... become ... to ... your ... are ... important
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                    Love this one..!
                    No hokus pokus daimoku just plain common sence.
                    Thanks Lee
                    /J

                    --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Wolfson"
                    <LKWolfson@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:
                    >
                    > SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first
                    round.
                    >
                    > The Coach wrote to PI:
                    > "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as
                    we
                    > were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and
                    become
                    > a greater and more capable team."
                    >
                    > President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability
                    to
                    > win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then
                    your
                    > Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you
                    are
                    > relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
                    > capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
                    > should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
                    > becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
                    > hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very
                    important
                    > because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
                    > capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
                    > the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
                    > become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
                    > shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
                    >
                  • Lee Wolfson
                    What I like about this guidance, is it then leaves it up you to ponder how you might go about becoming more capable ...or to ponder what virtues or strengths
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                      What I like about this guidance, is it then leaves it up you to ponder
                      how you might go about becoming more "capable"...or to ponder what
                      virtues or strengths you would like to cultivate. Daimoku is like
                      Miracle Grow. No substitute for good gardening, but it really does
                      make all of your efforts work just a little bit better.

                      You gotta MULCH, Jerry!

                      --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "gaydave53"
                      <gaydave53@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > [Top Post]
                      >
                      > Thanks, Lee..excellent guidance...a big move away from "magical
                      > thinking". I know I have fallen into that kind of thinking.How many
                      > of us have learned to use Daimoku as a crutch?
                      >
                      > Chanting doesn't just cause things to happen as we wish...rather, it
                      > helps us develop the ability to make things move in the right
                      > direction for our benefit and the benefit of all others.
                      >
                      > I really like what I'm hearing from Mr. Ikeda...I only wish I could
                      > get my head around the mentor disciple thing.
                      >
                      > At any rate, I agree with what you posted before...my "relationship"
                      > with Ikeda is entirely personal and I will not make public
                      > pronouncements or demonstrations of gushing adulation.
                      >
                      > Thanks, Lee
                      >
                      > David
                      >
                      > "Lee Wolfson" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:
                      > >
                      > > SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first
                      > round.
                      > >
                      > > The Coach wrote to PI:
                      > > "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as
                      > we
                      > > were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and
                      > become
                      > > a greater and more capable team."
                      > >
                      > > President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability
                      > to
                      > > win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then
                      > your
                      > > Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you
                      > are
                      > > relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
                      > > capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
                      > > should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
                      > > becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
                      > > hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very important
                      > > because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
                      > > capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
                      > > the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
                      > > become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
                      > > shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
                      > >
                      >
                    • Robin Beck
                      I had this discussion in another context; that of Kuan Yin. The principle is the same. If we look at the Brahma Vihara in the Pali Canon, it becomes very clear
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                        I had this discussion in another context; that of Kuan Yin. The
                        principle is the same. If we look at the Brahma Vihara in the Pali
                        Canon, it becomes very clear that the intent is for each person to
                        cultivate amity, compassion, appreciation, and equanimity toward
                        others. However, in the Kanzeon Chapter of the Lotus Sutra, this is
                        expressed as invoking the protective power of the Bodhisattva Who
                        Hears Our Cries. This gives the impression we are asking to receive
                        compassion from a divinity; rather than cultivating it toward others.
                        So many Buddhists pray to Kanzeon asking for divine help; much like
                        Xians pray to Mary or Jesus. It still works though.


                        From: "The Universal Door Of The Bodhisattva Who Listens To The Sounds
                        Of All The World" Translated from Chinese into English by the Buddhist
                        Text Translation Society:

                        Surrounded by a mob of heartless bandits,

                        Their weapons drawn, with murder on their minds,

                        Evoke the strength of Gwan Yin Bodhisattva,

                        Their evil hearts will soften and turn kind.

                        If you are on the verge of execution,

                        Sentenced by the State, condemned to die,

                        Evoke the strength of Gwan Yin Bodhisattva,

                        The sword will break to pieces just in time.

                        --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Hanlen"
                        <andyhanlen1@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > This (below) is really great. I have felt this way for years, and
                        > it's wonderful to see it in print. Completely the opposite of Santa
                        > Claus Buddhism. Great stuff.
                        >
                        > Cheers!
                        >
                        > Andy
                        >
                        > --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Wolfson"
                        > <LKWolfson@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > President Ikeda's Guidance to Soka High School Baseball Coach:
                        > >
                        > > SHS finally made it to the playoffs, only to lose in the first
                        > round.
                        > >
                        > > The Coach wrote to PI:
                        > > "Our ace pitcher was drafted and is gone. We are not as strong as
                        > we
                        > > were; I believe our capability is lower, but we will chant and
                        > become
                        > > a greater and more capable team."
                        > >
                        > > President Ikeda: "You are wrong. You should have enough capability
                        > to
                        > > win without having to go back and chant. Become capable and then
                        > your
                        > > Daimoku will become a strong wind behind your capability. If you
                        > are
                        > > relying on Daimoku to make it happen rather than on your own
                        > > capability, then you are just using faith like a superstition. You
                        > > should practice, and therefore, become capable. The team which
                        > > becomes the most capable will be the one which practices and works
                        > > hardest and has the most perseverance. Capability is very important
                        > > because it requires constant courage and training, but if your
                        > > capability counts only 50% and you base the other 50% on Daimoku to
                        > > the Gohonzon to bring it about "somehow", then your religion has
                        > > become a crutch for you. Religion is not there to hide your
                        > > shortcomings, but to strengthen you as a human being."
                        > >
                        >
                      • vorotyntsev
                        ... Robin, do you think we should use that approach on Osama bin Laden?
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                          --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Beck" <rrobinrb@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > I had this discussion in another context; that of Kuan Yin. The
                          > principle is the same. If we look at the Brahma Vihara in the Pali
                          > Canon, it becomes very clear that the intent is for each person to
                          > cultivate amity, compassion, appreciation, and equanimity toward
                          > others. However, in the Kanzeon Chapter of the Lotus Sutra, this is
                          > expressed as invoking the protective power of the Bodhisattva Who
                          > Hears Our Cries. This gives the impression we are asking to receive
                          > compassion from a divinity; rather than cultivating it toward others.
                          > So many Buddhists pray to Kanzeon asking for divine help; much like
                          > Xians pray to Mary or Jesus. It still works though.
                          >
                          >
                          > From: "The Universal Door Of The Bodhisattva Who Listens To The Sounds
                          > Of All The World" Translated from Chinese into English by the Buddhist
                          > Text Translation Society:
                          >
                          > Surrounded by a mob of heartless bandits,
                          >
                          > Their weapons drawn, with murder on their minds,
                          >
                          > Evoke the strength of Gwan Yin Bodhisattva,
                          >
                          > Their evil hearts will soften and turn kind.
                          >
                          > If you are on the verge of execution,
                          >
                          > Sentenced by the State, condemned to die,
                          >
                          > Evoke the strength of Gwan Yin Bodhisattva,
                          >
                          > The sword will break to pieces just in time.
                          >

                          Robin, do you think we should use that approach on Osama bin Laden?
                        • Robin Beck
                          ... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Yes. WE as Buddhists should. He is an ideal target for metta-waves. robin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                            --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "vorotyntsev"
                            <vorotyntsev@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Beck"
                            <rrobinrb@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I had this discussion in another context; that of Kuan Yin. The
                            > > principle is the same. If we look at the Brahma Vihara in the Pali
                            > > Canon, it becomes very clear that the intent is for each person to
                            > > cultivate amity, compassion, appreciation, and equanimity toward
                            > > others. However, in the Kanzeon Chapter of the Lotus Sutra, this is
                            > > expressed as invoking the protective power of the Bodhisattva Who
                            > > Hears Our Cries. This gives the impression we are asking to receive
                            > > compassion from a divinity; rather than cultivating it toward others.
                            > > So many Buddhists pray to Kanzeon asking for divine help; much like
                            > > Xians pray to Mary or Jesus. It still works though.
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > From: "The Universal Door Of The Bodhisattva Who Listens To The Sounds
                            > > Of All The World" Translated from Chinese into English by the Buddhist
                            > > Text Translation Society:
                            > >
                            > > Surrounded by a mob of heartless bandits,
                            > >
                            > > Their weapons drawn, with murder on their minds,
                            > >
                            > > Evoke the strength of Gwan Yin Bodhisattva,
                            > >
                            > > Their evil hearts will soften and turn kind.
                            > >
                            > > If you are on the verge of execution,
                            > >
                            > > Sentenced by the State, condemned to die,
                            > >
                            > > Evoke the strength of Gwan Yin Bodhisattva,
                            > >
                            > > The sword will break to pieces just in time.
                            > >
                            >
                            > Robin, do you think we should use that approach on Osama bin Laden?
                            >
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Yes. WE as Buddhists should. He is an ideal target for metta-waves.

                            robin
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.