Re: Straight talk

  • gaydave53
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
      "Brian Holly" wrote:
      "...Well, I have the same question about myself. So far, with all its
      faults, it's by far the best thing available to me. - Brian

      Thanks, Brian, I agree...I am proud to practice with the SGI...

      Although, according to the most recent guidance,since I cannot accept
      all the doctrines, I cannot in good conscience be a leader...
      Actually, I feel a tremendous sense of relief in giving up my current
      position as well as any future one... It liberates me and allows me
      to freely practice with my SGI friends while not being obligated to
      compromise my own sense of ethics and suppress my own opinions as a
      representative of the church.

      "gaydave53"
      > <david@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello:
      > >
      > > My earlier posts were indirect. let me state it bluntly.
      > >
      > > The SGI is an organization of Nichiren Shoshu protestants....
      > >
      > > I want nothing to do with Nichiren Shoshu doctrines...
      > >
      > > Therefore, do I belong in the SGI...or do I not?
      > >
      > > David

    • Byrd Ehlmann
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hi, Dave - I'm a little confused, here - maybe things are different
        in NY than in LA (d'oh!), but it seems to me that the issue syou're
        talking about here are still somewhat in flux. Although I have been
        visited and I suppose some sort of an inquiry, although by leaders
        who were generally ill-read on the topic, I have not as yet been
        relieved of duty. Maybe it's because I keep demanding a trial, I
        dunno...
        For me, the position I take is that I am free to say and do as I
        choose, unless there is a rule to the contrary. The process, then,
        is one of getting the organization to write down and clarify the
        rules. For example, if we need to embrace discredited NShoShu
        doctrines as a pre-condition of leadership, then that has to be
        clearly stated, together with an acknowledgement that these octrines
        have been discredited by independent, peer-reviewed scholarship.
        That's OK - the Gakkai can do that. But will it? That's the
        question? Anyway, I am petrsonally enjoying my Learning Review
        study very much, and my district is really focussed on that this
        month. I would enjoy tralking about some of the reading material
        here, if anyone else is "up for it" - best, Byrd in LA

        --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "gaydave53"
        <david@...> wrote:

        > "Brian Holly" wrote:
        > "...Well, I have the same question about myself. So far, with all
        its
        > faults, it's by far the best thing available to me. - Brian
        >
        > Thanks, Brian, I agree...I am proud to practice with the SGI...
        >
        > Although, according to the most recent guidance,since I cannot
        accept
        > all the doctrines, I cannot in good conscience be a leader...
        > Actually, I feel a tremendous sense of relief in giving up my
        current
        > position as well as any future one... It liberates me and allows
        me
        > to freely practice with my SGI friends while not being obligated
        > compromise my own sense of ethics and suppress my own opinions as
        > representative of the church.
        >
        > "gaydave53"
        > > <david@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello:
        > > >
        > > > My earlier posts were indirect. let me state it bluntly.
        > > >
        > > > The SGI is an organization of Nichiren Shoshu protestants....
        > > >
        > > > I want nothing to do with Nichiren Shoshu doctrines...
        > > >
        > > > Therefore, do I belong in the SGI...or do I not?
        > > >
        > > > David

      • philip brett
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
          --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd Ehlmann"
          <wahzoh@...> wrote:
          > I would enjoy tralking about some of the reading material
          > here, if anyone else is "up for it" - best, Byrd in LA

          We could go through it all topic by topic, I'd be into it. I'd have to
          post from home though. The entire study guide is on-line I believe
          isn't it?
          clown hidden
        • Byrd Ehlmann
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
            Yes, it is - all 84 pages of it! It's uner "study" at the sgi-usa
            site. my district's review is on Friday, October 27. We're having a
            national study leader come to review with us on the 19th. This
            should be a very interesting month, I'm excited! Bst, Byrd in LA

            --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "philip brett"
            <clownhidden@...> wrote:

            > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd Ehlmann"
            > <wahzoh@> wrote:
            > > I would enjoy tralking about some of the reading material
            > > here, if anyone else is "up for it" - best, Byrd in LA
            >
            > We could go through it all topic by topic, I'd be into it. I'd have
            > post from home though. The entire study guide is on-line I believe
            > isn't it?
            > clown hidden

          • free2woowoo
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
              Byrd: I've been looking on the web site for the material. I don't see
              a heading for 'study'. Is there a main heading to go to first?
              Help!

              Ashley

              <wahzoh@...> wrote:

              > Yes, it is - all 84 pages of it! It's uner "study" at the sgi-usa
              > site. my district's review is on Friday, October 27. We're
              having a
              > national study leader come to review with us on the 19th. This
              > should be a very interesting month, I'm excited! Bst, Byrd in LA
              >
              > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "philip brett"
              > <clownhidden@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd Ehlmann"
              > > <wahzoh@> wrote:
              > > > I would enjoy tralking about some of the reading material
              > > > here, if anyone else is "up for it" - best, Byrd in LA
              > >
              > > We could go through it all topic by topic, I'd be into it. I'd
              have
              > > post from home though. The entire study guide is on-line I
              believe
              > > isn't it?
              > > clown hidden

            • Byrd Ehlmann
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
                Hereyou go, Ashley:

                http://www.sgi-usa-study.org/annrev2006.htm

                Ihope thissorts it out. If you go tothe home page, "Study materials"
                are in the left-hand column about halfway down. There'a lot of
                stuff on that site. Best, Byrd in LA

                --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, free2woowoo