RE: [SGI] Hi from a former SGI member

  • jeannette
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 1, 2006
      HI Dave,
      I just wanted to comment on the way you shared your SGI experience. I
      was expecting the "normal" SGI bashing but was really taken aback by your
      honest expression of your feelings and by the way it made me feel. So I
      wanted to thank you for sharing that with us! (The Buddhist " Jehovah's
      witnesses" made me spew my coffee all over laughing because I have had that
      cross my mind before as well) Anyway, I have been a happy SGI member for
      almost two years and to be honest if I had the same experience I really
      think I would have felt the same way as you and left. As I don't like things
      pushed on me and to me "encouragement" should be up lifting and with
      direction to help me in my practice, not harassment or guilt trips if I
      can't come to meetings. I am very fortunate that the members in my
      district/chapter are the way they are and I haven't been bombarded with the
      "other schools" being bashed or quilted or harassed about activities. I
      have been a group leader for a few months and your letter really has made me
      look at my self. I'm not a pushy kind of person but you letter highlighted
      how not to be to members and I found it to be encouraging as I believe your
      honesty will help others who are trying to share Nichiren Buddhism.
      Take Care,
      Jeannette
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 8, 2006
        --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "catflap_ka"
        <leder_ka@...> wrote:

        > Hi Todd
        > I can certainly send it to you via traditional mail as I don`t
        seem to
        > have all the differnt chapters on file (It was done in 1998 - and
        the
        > scanning part on an apple computer).
        > Its only about 30 pages long as we had to keep strict limit in
        terms
        > of words. Some parts I would write rather different today, but
        since
        > it was extremly hard to find any literature on the subject so I
        > concentrated on the main developments in the times of the Nara
        > Buddhism (the six old schools of Nara), the pure land buddhism and
        the
        > esoteric sects.
        > regards
        > gunther
        >
        > --

        ''''''''''''
        Thank you for the offer Gunther, if you were more local I would say
        go right ahead, or just drop it by my Kaikan. You seem to be
        in the Monet section of the world, where the skies are a different
        color.
        I hope you continue your practice as I would hope I might be
        encouraged to.
        I look forward to reading more of your posts, as I do for almost all
        our board members.

        Todd Evans