Kosen-rufu - What will it look like?

  • Ivan Skavinsky
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2005
      As a practising Buddhist and an SGI member I am encouraged to pray for
      Kosen-rufu to achieve world peace and happiness. KR is literally
      translated to mean to widely declare and spread (SGI Buddhism)
      To achieve a goal one needs to be able to visualise it, believe in it,
      earnestly desire it, commit to it and make every effort to achieve it.
      Can readers help me with their visions of ultimate Kosen-rufu?
      Best to all
      Ivan
    • Joe
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2005
        "Ivan Skavinsky" wrote:
        > As a practising Buddhist and an SGI member I am encouraged to pray
        for
        > Kosen-rufu to achieve world peace and happiness. KR is literally
        > translated to mean to widely declare and spread (SGI Buddhism)
        > To achieve a goal one needs to be able to visualise it, believe in
        it,
        > earnestly desire it, commit to it and make every effort to achieve
        it.
        > Can readers help me with their visions of ultimate Kosen-rufu?
        > Best to all
        > Ivan

        Hi. Well, to me, Kosen-rufu is to spread Nichiren Buddhism, not SGI
        Buddhism. And this, to me, is to make Nichiren Buddhism rise above
        sectarianism, and be just rooted by the Gosho and practice, as well
        as respect for others, and to make action to propagate, with the goal
        of making Nichiren Buddhism available to all. I must give credit to
        SGI, esp during the formative years esp in the USA, that they did
        really make an effort to propagate. I really don't see it that much
        today, or at least where I live. I have always wondered why they
        won't put Living Buddhism at the magazine racks, as so many other
        Buddhist groups sell their magazines there. But, also, I don't see
        any effort of the other Nichiren groups, be it Shu, or Shoshu, or
        whatever making efforts to propagate the teachings and spread their
        respective groups. I know my experience with Shoshu at least was that
        you are doomed if you do not physically connect with a Temple and
        priest and recieve their specific material Gohonzon scroll, or you
        are incorrect with your practice. I hope SGI does not have that same
        stance, as from what I gather, SGI officially says that one need not
        an intermediary, or even an actual Gohonzon, and the true Gohonzon is
        with, and one can attain Buddhahood through Nam-myoho-renge-kyo
        alone. If I am mistaken here please correct me. But still, from what
        I have read from SGI, it does seem they have the most correct view,
        but I think SGI Buddhism is not synonomous with Nichiren Buddhism, as
        SGI seems more like a socio-political group based on Ikeda, and I
        think this actually works against real Kosen-rufu, in light of
        Nichiren's ideal of it.

        Joe
      • Terry Ruby
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          There is a breakdown of the meaning of the Chinese characters
          for "Kosen Rufu" at:
          http://www.gakkaionline.net/Imagery/KosenRufu.html

          Terry

          --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Ivan Skavinsky"
          <ivanskavinsky@n...> wrote:
          > As a practising Buddhist and an SGI member I am encouraged to pray
          for
          > Kosen-rufu to achieve world peace and happiness. KR is literally
          > translated to mean to widely declare and spread (SGI Buddhism)
          > To achieve a goal one needs to be able to visualise it, believe in
          it,
          > earnestly desire it, commit to it and make every effort to achieve
          it.
          > Can readers help me with their visions of ultimate Kosen-rufu?
          > Best to all
          > Ivan
        • Phil
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2005
            <ivanskavinsky@n...> wrote:
            > As a practising Buddhist and an SGI member I am encouraged to pray
            for
            > Kosen-rufu to achieve world peace and happiness. KR is literally
            > translated to mean to widely declare and spread (SGI Buddhism)
            > To achieve a goal one needs to be able to visualise it, believe in
            it,
            > earnestly desire it, commit to it and make every effort to achieve it.
            > Can readers help me with their visions of ultimate Kosen-rufu?
            > Best to all
            > Ivan

            My view mwy be different than most to me kosen rufu has two aspects.
            One is the spreading of the truth. I don't see that as having to be
            nichirenism or even buddhism but more as George Harrison said,"That you
            may realize that we're all one and life flows on within you and without
            you." The second aspect is world peace which I don't think will happen
            until global capitalism fails and falls. It's gonna be awhile.

            Philip
          • sunderlandmick
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2005
              --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Phil"
              <philipjamesbrett@y...> wrote:

              > My view mwy be different than most to me kosen rufu has two
              aspects.
              > One is the spreading of the truth. I don't see that as having to
              be
              > nichirenism or even buddhism but more as George Harrison
              said,"That you
              > may realize that we're all one and life flows on within you and
              without
              > you." The second aspect is world peace which I don't think will
              happen
              > until global capitalism fails and falls. It's gonna be awhile.
              >
              > Philip

              As much as I don't like global capitalism, I hope it doesn't fall
              until someone comes up with something better.

              Maybe that's where Kosen Rufu comes in. I would like to think that
              the attitude of human beings will change. Like we won't see life so
              much in terms of wealth and possessions, and we won't feel the need
              to shoot people who have different lifestyles. And we won't feel the
              need to validate our own religious beliefs by rubbishing other
              people's religions and trying to shut them down.

              Mick