Re: [SGI] Re: official "mentor", good or bad?

  • andyhanlen1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 1, 2005
      In a message dated 3/1/2005 1:10:28 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      ThusOne@... writes:

      << Question to you, Andy. Do you think this definition of "mentor" might
      have value for me, or other people? It IS a personal experience. It is
      also a faith experience. >>

      Of course. We all create our own value. My son is a Christian of the "born
      again" kind, and he clearly gets great value from that. Before his epiphany
      he was lost and in trouble (big time - I recall visiting him in youth
      correctional facilities). Now he's making me swell with pride every day. He
      attributes all of his change and success to "the Lord," etc. I don't argue. In
      his world, he's right. In mine, of course, I consider the fact that I've
      never stopped chanting for him, and his connection to the Gohonzon, however
      seemingly distant at present, to be hugely significant, but that's MY faith, isn't
      it?

      At any rate, while I think it to be a misuse of the language, nevertheless
      this definition of mentor can't hurt, can it? Just an annoyance to
      literalists like me.

      << Maybe I'm not seeing Ikeda or sensei so much as a proper noun, than as a
      function? Perhaps a bit as an understood ideal. An ideal of real life
      manifestation of the Law in an ordinary human being? >>

      Okay. That sounds pretty worshipful to me, but so what? If it works for
      you, carry on. I personally see no need for such a function. We have the Law
      itself. I didn't need anyone to manifest it for me when I began years ago,
      and I don't now. That's up to me. Nor do I need "proof" that it's possible
      (if that's what you look for in Mr. Ikeda). And, quite frankly, I haven't
      seen anything from him that is so remarkable. He's certainly a fortunate man,
      right place; right time and all that. Sharp and apparently (for many) quite
      charismatic. Some of his earlier writing was quite good and inspirational.

      Cheers!

      Andy

    • Joe
      Message 54 of 54 , Mar 6, 2005
        "Ivan Skavinsky" wrote:
        > That is why the Buddha has left us those golden words, 'Rely on the
        > Law and not upon persons,' and why it is said that those who
        > encounter the correct teaching are as few as the grains of earth
        that
        > can be placed on a fingernail. [WND013, Page 105, col 1, line 17,
        > sentence 4 in para 0]
        >
        > Nevertheless, even though you chant and believe in Myoho-renge-kyo,
        > if you think the Law is outside yourself, you are embracing not the
        > Mystic Law but an inferior teaching. [WND001, Page 3, col 1, line
        35,
        > sentence 4 in para 3
        >
        > Hope this helps
        >
        > Ivan

        "In this sect (Nichiren Shoshu), the Living Essence, Uninterrupted
        Light of the Law has been bestowed like the transferal of the water of
        the Law from one vessel to another upon each specifically chosen High
        Priest in the lineage until the present day. To the last, the True
        Buddha is Nichiren Daishonin, and we must revere the inner
        enlightenment of the High Priests, which is only bestowed on and
        between High Priests, in the same way that we revere the Daishonin."
        Daisaku Ikeda, May 3, 1979