Re: To Jim and Piluf and all the Boddhisattvas of the Earth

  • gachiriki
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
      Very inspiring post, Bill. It touched my heart in various aspects,
      but in particular I share the following :

      >And I thought "what scares me?" And I realized that
      > what really scares me is the possibility that I truly am a
      > boddhissatva of the earth, that I have a job to do, that I need to
      > put aside all thoughts of laziness, slothfulness, and ease.

      This was exactly what I felt one day after few years of my practice:
      I was before the Gohonzon chanting. Many thoughts visited my mind,
      and I wondered what am I doing? Why am I attracted to this Gohonzon
      and chanting, as if I am in a dream? Then, at a certain moment, I
      realised that I am a Bodhisattva of the Earth. At that moment I had a
      strange mixture of feelings of fear and wonder in the same time. A
      feeling like suddenly facing the truth that I have a function in this
      universe, and that I really exist. I also experienced, that this
      Gohonzon is a reality, that it is true, and Nichiren's words flashed
      in my mind, that to be a Bodhisattva is an "unavoidable destiny". It
      was the rarest feeling I had ever.

      That "I have a job to do" was exactly what triggered my fears,
      because it meant that I have to change many things. No more
      halfheartedness. It was the "taking responsibility" that I feared,
      but the whole experience was immensely overwhelming and since then I
      had no doubts about my identity.

      gachiriki

      --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "banker91344"
      <banker@a...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Then I read this:
      >
      > "If you wish to preach this sutra,
      > you must set aside jealousy, hatred, arrogance,
      > a mind that is fawning, deceitful, false,
      > and constantly practice honest and upright conduct.
      > Do not look with contempt on others,
      > or hold frivolous debates on the doctrine.
      > Do not cause others to have doubts or regrets
      > by saying "You will never become a Buddha!"
      > When a son of the Buddha preaches the law
      > he is at all times gentle and full of forebearance,
      > having pity and compassion on all,
      > never giving way to a slothful mind.
      > The great boddhisattvas of the ten directions
      > out of pity for the multitude carry out the way.
      > One should strive to respect and revere them,
      > saying, "These are my great teachers!"
      >
      > I was inspired by these passages. I thought, "tommorrow is
      > Halloween, when we put on maskes of the things that scare us, in a
      > spirit of fun. And I thought "what scares me?" And I realized that
      > what really scares me is the possibility that I truly am a
      > boddhissatva of the earth, that I have a job to do, that I need to
      > put aside all thoughts of laziness, slothfulness, and ease. That as
      > a boddhisatttva of the earth my own needs don't matter, and that I
      > have a job to do. That my job is to set aside jealousy, hatred,
      > arrogance. To not not look with contempt on others,
      > or hold frivolous debates on the doctrine, (I have to admit that I
      > find sport in that!). What scares me is that it might just be my
      job
      > to draw the pain and poison of the Earth to me, and to be willing
      > absorb it. And to join with:"The great boddhisattvas of the ten
      > directions" and "out of pity for the multitude carry out the way."
      > to "strive to respect and revere them,
      > saying, "These are my great teachers!"
      >

      > Today I have decided to do these things. To put on my mask
      > of "Bodhisattva of the Earth". I'm going to employ the strategy of
      > the Lotus Sutra by chanting daimoku with my friends. I'm going to
      > open my life and take on the pain of others as my own. Wheter they
      > are republicans or democrats, Nichiren Shu, Nichiren Shoshu, SGI,
      > Jewish, Christian or Muslim. I know that everyone's afraid, and
      > every strategy we employ is an attempt to lead peaceful and happy
      > lives. Rather than criticize the unintended consequences of those
      > strategies I will try to employ the Strategy of the Lotus Sutra. I
      > have no solutions, but I beleive in the power of Nam Myoho Renge
      > Kyo. And I know all of you do too. What I lack faith in is my own
      > ability to fully employ that power.
      >
      > I am going to pray to join my life with the "great boddhisattvas of
      > the ten directions". To set aside differences and join in our
      common
      > desire. Shakyamuni, Tien Tai, Nagarjuna, Nichiren, Makaguchi, Toda,
      > Ikeda, Nikken, Piluf, Jim, Andy, Gay Dave and Stoney David, Will,
      > Gachiriki, Laurie, John, Chris, Brian, Laisi Daisy (who's not
      > really), Mirror Sojourner, Kathy Ruby, Lisa Jones, Joe, Blue
      Buddha,
> [...]
      > >

      > > Dear Jim,
      > >
      > > First of all, I have to apologize, because it wasnt your
      > website...but came from my very own place...when I re-read it
      today,
      > but then that website acknowledged you with a very special
      > acknowledgement..so the first thing I did was write to you here as
      > this is where I have first and regularly known your name before my
      > brother sent me the websites that attacked my practice....My
      brother
      > is in london now...I have got what I expected from you as a
      > practitioner of SGI, to offer to help me shakubuku my brother..he
      > lives in london, temporarily for five months while he studies
      there,
      > he is in his early 30s...I would like to know where I can give you
      > his email or whatever way he can be made to understand...Your reply
      > to me was complete and compassionate..I also thank chief seattle
      for
      > his/her kind views..and the rest, you are all right in some
      > respects..but I agree with chief seattle..although personally i
      dont
      > deify ikeda..also, the forever sensei is a chorus.., and the sensei
      > does not refer
      > > to ikeda as that sensei, coz lets face it, every meeting, we use
      > Nichiren writings, not ikeda...only the leaders use ikeda to quote
      > guidance for everyday living...anyway as for the forever sensei
      > song, the rest of the lyrics talk about victory, we use it
      regularly
      > every kofu gongyo..
      > >
      > > the websiteS speak against sgi as a cult, ikeda deified.., his
      > political powers, the gohonzon as evil, and soka as enemy of high
      > priests..(i.e. nikken)..
      > >
      > > personally i have no attachment to ikeda...I dont agree to
      > everything he writes but I respect him coz every votary is worthy
      of
      > respect...
      > >
      > > Jim, maybe the problem is with me thats why I cant shakubuku my
      > brother...I gave my negative discoveries of christianity myself, so
      > he searched of negative things about us..since I gave him chapters
      2
      > and 16 of the Lotus, he hasnt responded yet...
      > >
      > > Please advise me how to do it..or would you..or someone from
      > london...personally im not sure how to do it...whether to leave him
      > alone or not..he said, if I take Jesus away from him, he will have
      > nothing left....Ahh! I understand and I dont know if it done good
      > force and send him chapters 2 and 16...thus his silence....
      > >
      > > the websites that attacked sgi are the following..:
      > http://www.daisaku-ikeda.com this is the web from cebu that
      > specially acknowledged Jim celer....and the other web that doesnt
      > have to do with jim but comes from an ex-sgi member is
      > http://www.rickross.com/reference/gakkai/gakkai19.html
      > >
      > > thank you very much for the time...take care and happy
      > chanting...thanks to all who replied to me.

    • Lee Wolfson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
        Thus spoke Taho Buddha!

        Just to add, I read this wonderful gosho quote:

        "The five characters of Myoho Renge Kyo do not represent the sutra
        text, nor are they its meaning. They are nothing other than the
        intent of the entire sutra. So, even though the beginners in
        Buddhist practice may not understand their significance, by practicing
        these five characters, they will naturally conform to the the sutra's
        intent."

        How marvelous when our minds,heart's and soul, match the "intent" of
        the Sutra! AND, we get it!

        Namaste,

        Lee