Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: love is within us

Expand Messages
  • gachiriki
    On love, war and violence, Ikeda said: Although the viewpoint of Confucius, who advicated a graded love moving outward from the family.. , and Mo Tzu, who
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      On love, war and violence,
      Ikeda said:
      " Although the viewpoint of Confucius, who advicated a graded love
      moving outward from the family.. , and Mo Tzu, who insidted on
      universal love to all as intense as the love one has for oneself,
      differ, you are correct in saying that benevolent love of one or
      both of these kinds is extremely important in modern society. Lack
      of love is only too aparent in many cases today. Poeple who do not
      love their parents, brothers or sisters are not rare. Some parents
      do not love their own children. Lack of love is often reflected in
      the actions of people who come to regard their own lives so
      lightly,that they attempt suicide. What can be the meaning of
      admonition to love others as one loves oneself, when there are
      people who hate themselves ..."

      "In trems of international conditions, the universal love [advocated
      by] Mo Tzu is entirely opposite to [what is evident] in our world,
      afflicted as it is with hatred, prejudice, and lack of
      understanding. Mo Tzu's ideas harminize well with ideals of
      abolition of war, [based on] his insistence that mankind must
      abandon selfish goals and pursue altruistic ideals."

      " I am convinced that the only way to regenerate love
      in our world, is for people to understand the meaning of their own
      lives, the life of the Universe, and the relation between the two.
      This is true because it is possible to show understanding of the
      lives of other beings only when one has an understanding of one's
      own life".
      Expanding the Sphere of Love, Choose Life, a dialogue, Arnold
      Toynbee and Daisaku Ikeda, p.362/363
      ====
      I think that in terms of the Ten Worlds, the World of Joy is usually
      associated with Love, however, it belongs to the realm of the 6
      lower worlds which are dependent (if not controled) by the
      environment.
      The World of Bodhisattva is basically the mind of unconditional love
      to all human beings, and also to all sentient beings,including
      animals, and all life. If one bases one's basic life tendency on
      this World of Bodhisattva, then all inner emotions will resonate in
      harmony with the universal life.

      Within this basic tendency of Bodhisattva one experiences the whole
      spectrum of the other Ten Worlds, (including the Joy of personal or
      altrustic love), as well as other Worlds including also the emotion
      of hatred, HOWEVER, properly directed to be in harmony with the
      Dharma.
      This means that it is proper to experience, (not only lack of love
      but even ) hatred to jealousy, violence, inner arrogance,
      foolishness, lack of seeking spirit, grudges etc.. All these powers
      of love and hatred are perfectly harmonised in the world of
      Bodhisattva aspiring to Buddhahood, which real actions in dailylife
      is the practical manifestation of one's Buddha nature.

      gachiriki

      --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "lazydaisi"
      <lazydaisi@y...> wrote:
      > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
      > <bholly72@h...> wrote:
      > > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > Love is within us. Let us awaken our inner love and joy and
      then
      > > we
      > > > will spread our unconditional love to others naturally.
      > >
      > > Well, as wonderful as love is to give and to receive, I think it
      > > gets over-rated as a religious notion. Love has its dangers. It
      > is,
      > > after all, love that is behind most of the violence in this
      world.
      >
      > Well, I thought that (apart from domestic violence), that it was
      > Love of Money that was behind most wars and violence. No?
      > Daisi
    • Craig
      ... Well said, Byrd. And thanks for the I Corinthians 13 reference. I m not a fan of the Bible and contemporary Christians, but this passage has always
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, wahzoh

        Well said, Byrd. And thanks for the I Corinthians 13 reference. I'm
        not a fan of the Bible and contemporary Christians, but this passage
        has always spoken to my heart.

        -Craig
        >
        > I don't think that's love, Brian, that's more like loyalist
        jealousy
        > or rage. As Jesus, said, "Love is not boastful or proud...it hopes
        > all things and endures all things." I spent a long time working in
        a
        > domestic violence clinic,and I can tell you that what motivates
        your
        > typical stalking ex-boyfriend is not love, but terror and rage. We
        > call it love becuse of our popular songs, telling us that love
        equals
        > a need to possess and be possessed. But it's not love.
        >
        > It was
        > > love that led the US and USSR to build vast stockpiles of nuclear
        > > weapons.
        > >
        > Huh?
        >
        >
        > > People like me who lived through the 60's discovered that the
        > > logical conclusion of the "All you need is love" philosophy is
        > > Altamont. - Brian
        >
        >
        > No, the melee at ALtamont was the logical conclusion of hiring drug-
        > addled biker gangs as security forces. This was an act of anti-
        love
        > toward the people who attended the festival at Altamont. That's
        just
        > common sense.
        >
        > I have found myself in cultivating lovingkindness toward myself and
        > others that it does in fact radiate outward as it develops. I've
        > enjoyed the experience,although I sometimes wish (as with so many
        > things) that it was a "magic bullet" for sealing with troublesome
        > people (like some of my constituents in my Co-op)! Talk to you all
        > later, Byrd in LA
      • Brian Holly
        I think this is completely wrong. The dangers of love have nothing to do with with its being conditional or unconditional -- it has to do with what people
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          I think this is completely wrong. The dangers of love have nothing
          to do with with its being conditional or unconditional -- it has to
          do with what people naturally do to protect and preserve that which
          they love. Talking about "Real" love just means that you don't want
          to confront love as it actually is, with both its glorious and its
          terrible side. Love is not always simple and warm -- it is very much
          more complex and multi-sided. And all love inovolves subjective
          thougths and desires. There is no love without them. I believe you
          are intoxicated with a word. - Brian


          --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Is love has its dangers? Conditional love has its danger. However,
          > unconditional and wise love doesn't have its danger. Real love is
          not
          > dangerous to beings. The reason why love turns into pain is one's
          > subjective thoughts. Love is simple and warm. However, through
          one's
          > subjective thoughts and desires, love is not love. One is
          controlled
          > by them. When he is mastered by them, he is unable to love himself
          > really. Moreover, he spreads his so-called love to others. Then,
          > others suffer from this so-called love. The mistake is not love,
          but
          > one's subjective self or ego. Buddha said that we have inherent
          > Buddha Nature. When we awaken our Buddha Nature, love and wisdom
          > arise naturally. However, when we are led by desires, greed, anger
          > and ignorance, Buddha Nature is hidden. Human essentials are good.
          > Love is our essential.
          >
          >
          >
          > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
          > <bholly72@h...> wrote:
          > > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
          > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > > Love is within us. Let us awaken our inner love and joy and
          then
          > > we
          > > > will spread our unconditional love to others naturally.
          > >
          > > Well, as wonderful as love is to give and to receive, I think it
          > > gets over-rated as a religious notion. Love has its dangers. It
          is,
          > > after all, love that is behind most of the violence in this
          world.
          > > It is, ultimately, love of a certain ideal or a certain homeland
          or
          > > even just of ones' friends and family that motivates Palestinian
          > > suicide bombers and terrorists who blow up Russian schools. It
          was
          > > love that led the US and USSR to build vast stockpiles of
          nuclear
          > > weapons.
          > >
          > > People like me who lived through the 60's discovered that the
          > > logical conclusion of the "All you need is love" philosophy is
          > > Altamont. - Brian
        • Brian Holly
          ... Well, consider the teenage Palestinina suicide bomber -- what is he motivated by? Surely it is love -- love of his family, love of his people, love of his
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "lazydaisi"
            <lazydaisi@y...> wrote:

            >
            > Well, I thought that (apart from domestic violence), that it was
            > Love of Money that was behind most wars and violence. No?
            > Daisi

            Well, consider the teenage Palestinina suicide bomber -- what is he
            motivated by? Surely it is love -- love of his family, love of his
            people, love of his religion. His hatred of the Israelis is
            precisely proportional to his love. - Brian
          • flow mckenzie
            I am an SGI member, and an astrologer. With reference to LOVE IS WITHIN-- I have found the Magi Society -- www.loveoracle.com extremely inspiring, after all,
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              I am an SGI member, and an astrologer.
              With reference to LOVE IS WITHIN--
              I have found the Magi Society -- www.loveoracle.com
              extremely inspiring, after all, we are trying to act on our wisdom in
              love relationships.
              PLEASE CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Have Fun
              Any opinions most welcome---Please forward to all list members.

              Brian Holly <bholly72@...> wrote:
              I think this is completely wrong. The dangers of love have nothing
              to do with with its being conditional or unconditional -- it has to
              do with what people naturally do to protect and preserve that which
              they love. Talking about "Real" love just means that you don't want
              to confront love as it actually is, with both its glorious and its
              terrible side. Love is not always simple and warm -- it is very much
              more complex and multi-sided. And all love inovolves subjective
              thougths and desires. There is no love without them. I believe you
              are intoxicated with a word. - Brian


              --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Is love has its dangers? Conditional love has its danger. However,
              > unconditional and wise love doesn't have its danger. Real love is
              not
              > dangerous to beings. The reason why love turns into pain is one's
              > subjective thoughts. Love is simple and warm. However, through
              one's
              > subjective thoughts and desires, love is not love. One is
              controlled
              > by them. When he is mastered by them, he is unable to love himself
              > really. Moreover, he spreads his so-called love to others. Then,
              > others suffer from this so-called love. The mistake is not love,
              but
              > one's subjective self or ego. Buddha said that we have inherent
              > Buddha Nature. When we awaken our Buddha Nature, love and wisdom
              > arise naturally. However, when we are led by desires, greed, anger
              > and ignorance, Buddha Nature is hidden. Human essentials are good.
              > Love is our essential.
              >
              >
              >
              > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
              > <bholly72@h...> wrote:
              > > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
              > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > > Love is within us. Let us awaken our inner love and joy and
              then
              > > we
              > > > will spread our unconditional love to others naturally.
              > >
              > > Well, as wonderful as love is to give and to receive, I think it
              > > gets over-rated as a religious notion. Love has its dangers. It
              is,
              > > after all, love that is behind most of the violence in this
              world.
              > > It is, ultimately, love of a certain ideal or a certain homeland
              or
              > > even just of ones' friends and family that motivates Palestinian
              > > suicide bombers and terrorists who blow up Russian schools. It
              was
              > > love that led the US and USSR to build vast stockpiles of
              nuclear
              > > weapons.
              > >
              > > People like me who lived through the 60's discovered that the
              > > logical conclusion of the "All you need is love" philosophy is
              > > Altamont. - Brian



              Views expressed by individuals above do not necessarily reflect the views of the Soka Gakkai nor its membership.


              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


              ---------------------------------
              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SokaGakkaiInternational/

              To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              SokaGakkaiInternational-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



              ---------------------------------
              ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Blue Buddha
              One of my favorite teachings of the Buddha comes from the Dhammapada where the Buddha says, “Hatred never ceases through hatred in this world, by love alone
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
              • 0 Attachment
                One of my favorite teachings of the Buddha comes from the Dhammapada where the Buddha says, �Hatred never ceases through hatred in this world, by love alone hatred ceases, this is an eternal law�.



                In my opinion what should be understood in talking about love in respect to Buddhism is that the Buddha taught we must love and respect ALL people and cause no harm to ANYONE. The love expressed in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, as they are today, is very limited in their concept of love.



                I understand where you are coming from Brian and I have often thought about this myself. Love as expressed in Buddhism, as far as I am concerned, takes much more effort and discipline. It�s not just a peace and groovy kinda feeling. :-)





                Respectfully,

                BlueBuddha


                Brian Holly <bholly72@...> wrote:I think this is completely wrong. The dangers of love have nothing
                to do with with its being conditional or unconditional -- it has to
                do with what people naturally do to protect and preserve that which
                they love. Talking about "Real" love just means that you don't want
                to confront love as it actually is, with both its glorious and its
                terrible side. Love is not always simple and warm -- it is very much
                more complex and multi-sided. And all love inovolves subjective
                thougths and desires. There is no love without them. I believe you
                are intoxicated with a word. - Brian


                --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Is love has its dangers? Conditional love has its danger. However,
                > unconditional and wise love doesn't have its danger. Real love is
                not
                > dangerous to beings. The reason why love turns into pain is one's
                > subjective thoughts. Love is simple and warm. However, through
                one's
                > subjective thoughts and desires, love is not love. One is
                controlled
                > by them. When he is mastered by them, he is unable to love himself
                > really. Moreover, he spreads his so-called love to others. Then,
                > others suffer from this so-called love. The mistake is not love,
                but
                > one's subjective self or ego. Buddha said that we have inherent
                > Buddha Nature. When we awaken our Buddha Nature, love and wisdom
                > arise naturally. However, when we are led by desires, greed, anger
                > and ignorance, Buddha Nature is hidden. Human essentials are good.
                > Love is our essential.
                >
                >
                >
                > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
                > <bholly72@h...> wrote:
                > > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
                > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > > Love is within us. Let us awaken our inner love and joy and
                then
                > > we
                > > > will spread our unconditional love to others naturally.
                > >
                > > Well, as wonderful as love is to give and to receive, I think it
                > > gets over-rated as a religious notion. Love has its dangers. It
                is,
                > > after all, love that is behind most of the violence in this
                world.
                > > It is, ultimately, love of a certain ideal or a certain homeland
                or
                > > even just of ones' friends and family that motivates Palestinian
                > > suicide bombers and terrorists who blow up Russian schools. It
                was
                > > love that led the US and USSR to build vast stockpiles of
                nuclear
                > > weapons.
                > >
                > > People like me who lived through the 60's discovered that the
                > > logical conclusion of the "All you need is love" philosophy is
                > > Altamont. - Brian



                Views expressed by individuals above do not necessarily reflect the views of the Soka Gakkai nor its membership.


                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


                ---------------------------------
                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SokaGakkaiInternational/

                To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                SokaGakkaiInternational-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.




                ---------------------------------
                Do you Yahoo!?
                Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • closeconnections
                BlueBuddha - well put! Colin ... the Buddha says, Hatred never ceases through hatred in this world, by love alone hatred ceases, this is an eternal
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                • 0 Attachment
                  BlueBuddha - well put! Colin

                  --- Blue Buddha <issendai2003@y...> wrote:

                  <snip> the Buddha says, "Hatred never ceases through hatred in this
                  world, by love alone hatred ceases, this is an eternal law".

                  In my opinion what should be understood in talking about love in
                  respect to Buddhism is that the Buddha taught we must love and
                  respect ALL people and cause no harm to ANYONE. The love expressed
                  in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism, as they are today, is very
                  limited in their concept of love.

                  I understand where you are coming from Brian and I have often thought
                  about this myself. Love as expressed in Buddhism, as far as I am
                  concerned, takes much more effort and discipline. It's not just a
                  peace and groovy kinda feeling.
                • lazydaisi
                  ... he ... True, but, on the other hand, greed (a form of love of money) has led to the current war in Iraq, as one example. I haven t really studied the
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
                    <bholly72@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "lazydaisi"
                    > <lazydaisi@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > >
                    > > Well, I thought that (apart from domestic violence), that it was
                    > > Love of Money that was behind most wars and violence. No?
                    > > Daisi
                    >
                    > Well, consider the teenage Palestinina suicide bomber -- what is
                    he
                    > motivated by? Surely it is love -- love of his family, love of his
                    > people, love of his religion. His hatred of the Israelis is
                    > precisely proportional to his love. - Brian

                    True, but, on the other hand, greed (a form of love of money) has
                    led to the current war in Iraq, as one example. I haven't really
                    studied the statistics on whether love in general, or love of money,
                    is the chief contributor to most violence, I'm just thinking that
                    greed tops the list.
                    Yes, I pity the suicide bombers, a clear case of love gone wrong, in
                    the form of religious fanaticism.
                    Daisi
                  • ryuei2000
                    ... to ... which ... want ... much ... But my question is this - is metta the same as the English word love ? Or ow about agape ? I do not think they are
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
                      <bholly72@h...> wrote:
                      > I think this is completely wrong. The dangers of love have nothing
                      > to do with with its being conditional or unconditional -- it has
                      to
                      > do with what people naturally do to protect and preserve that
                      which
                      > they love. Talking about "Real" love just means that you don't
                      want
                      > to confront love as it actually is, with both its glorious and its
                      > terrible side. Love is not always simple and warm -- it is very
                      much
                      > more complex and multi-sided. And all love inovolves subjective
                      > thougths and desires. There is no love without them. I believe you
                      > are intoxicated with a word. - Brian
                      >

                      But my question is this - is "metta" the same as the English
                      word "love"? Or ow about "agape"? I do not think they are
                      equivalent.

                      Just sticking with the word "metta", I find that in the
                      Visuddhimagga of Buddhaghosa that its meaning is clearly
                      differentiated from the kind of "love" that leads to attachment or
                      one-sidedness. On the other hand, it also will not lead to awakening
                      in and of itself. It must lead to insight. So even metta without
                      insight can be blind, though metta can create the conditions for the
                      kind of caring and selflessness that might lead to insight.

                      Also, as far as I know (and I would have to check) the word used in
                      Japanese Buddhist for compassion is "jihi" and that word is composed
                      of the characters that separately refer to loving-kindness (metta)
                      and compassion (karuna). Loving-kindness wishes to bestow happiness
                      while compassion wishes to take away suffering. But again, this well-
                      wishing is differentiated from egotistic one-sided passion and
                      attachment. So would "jihi" be the same as "love" the way English
                      speakers use that word? I really don't think so.

                      Namu Myoho Renge Kyo,
                      Ryuei


                      ***************************************************************
                    • Robin Ray Beck
                      ... nothing ... its ... you ... awakening ... the ... in ... composed ... happiness ... well- ...
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 1, 2004
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, ryuei2000
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
                        > <bholly72@h...> wrote:
                        > > I think this is completely wrong. The dangers of love have
                        nothing
                        > > to do with with its being conditional or unconditional -- it has
                        > to
                        > > do with what people naturally do to protect and preserve that
                        > which
                        > > they love. Talking about "Real" love just means that you don't
                        > want
                        > > to confront love as it actually is, with both its glorious and
                        its
                        > > terrible side. Love is not always simple and warm -- it is very
                        > much
                        > > more complex and multi-sided. And all love inovolves subjective
                        > > thougths and desires. There is no love without them. I believe
                        you
                        > > are intoxicated with a word. - Brian
                        > >
                        >
                        > But my question is this - is "metta" the same as the English
                        > word "love"? Or ow about "agape"? I do not think they are
                        > equivalent.
                        >
                        > Just sticking with the word "metta", I find that in the
                        > Visuddhimagga of Buddhaghosa that its meaning is clearly
                        > differentiated from the kind of "love" that leads to attachment or
                        > one-sidedness. On the other hand, it also will not lead to
                        awakening
                        > in and of itself. It must lead to insight. So even metta without
                        > insight can be blind, though metta can create the conditions for
                        the
                        > kind of caring and selflessness that might lead to insight.
                        >
                        > Also, as far as I know (and I would have to check) the word used
                        in
                        > Japanese Buddhist for compassion is "jihi" and that word is
                        composed
                        > of the characters that separately refer to loving-kindness (metta)
                        > and compassion (karuna). Loving-kindness wishes to bestow
                        happiness
                        > while compassion wishes to take away suffering. But again, this
                        well-
                        > wishing is differentiated from egotistic one-sided passion and
                        > attachment. So would "jihi" be the same as "love" the way English
                        > speakers use that word? I really don't think so.
                        >
                        > Namu Myoho Renge Kyo,
                        > Ryuei
                        >

                        ***************************************************************
                        I was thinking on similar lines. "Metta" is a real thing. One way to
                        explain is that comes in spiraling waves from the Amala-Citta. The
                        feeling is that is radiates one from ones heart, or heart of hearts.

                        It has no specific object of attachment. Nor does it require one. So
                        it has no requirements or conditions. It is simply pure bliss. One
                        can sit alone and feel Metta.

                        When Metta sees pain, suffering, or injustice; it feels compassion.
                        Not pity. Not disgust. Not anger. Not a feeling of, "Phew, better
                        him tham me." Not a desire to pin blame, make excuses, or exact
                        revenge. It just heals. Healing Compassion.

                        When Metta sees a job well done, it feels joy. Not envy, like "that
                        could have been me." And it is not just saying "I am happy for you",
                        while the real feeling is something different. Shared Joy.

                        And, always, metta is impartial.

                        Metta Waves

                        Powered by Na Mu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo

                        robin
                      • n2332858
                        I hope that we can respect each other. What I want to say is Buddha Nature and human goodness. Moreover, I deeply trust that we have basic goodness. Good Luck
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 3, 2004
                        • 0 Attachment
                          I hope that we can respect each other.
                          What I want to say is Buddha Nature and human goodness.
                          Moreover, I deeply trust that we have basic goodness.
                          Good Luck to you!

                          Charlie



                          --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
                          <bholly72@h...> wrote:
                          > I think this is completely wrong. The dangers of love have nothing
                          > to do with with its being conditional or unconditional -- it has to
                          > do with what people naturally do to protect and preserve that which
                          > they love. Talking about "Real" love just means that you don't want
                          > to confront love as it actually is, with both its glorious and its
                          > terrible side. Love is not always simple and warm -- it is very
                          much
                          > more complex and multi-sided. And all love inovolves subjective
                          > thougths and desires. There is no love without them. I believe you
                          > are intoxicated with a word. - Brian
                          >
                          >
                          > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
                          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > > Is love has its dangers? Conditional love has its danger.
                          However,
                          > > unconditional and wise love doesn't have its danger. Real love is
                          > not
                          > > dangerous to beings. The reason why love turns into pain is one's
                          > > subjective thoughts. Love is simple and warm. However, through
                          > one's
                          > > subjective thoughts and desires, love is not love. One is
                          > controlled
                          > > by them. When he is mastered by them, he is unable to love
                          himself
                          > > really. Moreover, he spreads his so-called love to others. Then,
                          > > others suffer from this so-called love. The mistake is not love,
                          > but
                          > > one's subjective self or ego. Buddha said that we have inherent
                          > > Buddha Nature. When we awaken our Buddha Nature, love and wisdom
                          > > arise naturally. However, when we are led by desires, greed,
                          anger
                          > > and ignorance, Buddha Nature is hidden. Human essentials are
                          good.
                          > > Love is our essential.
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Holly"
                          > > <bholly72@h...> wrote:
                          > > > --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, n2332858
                          > > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > > > > Love is within us. Let us awaken our inner love and joy and
                          > then
                          > > > we
                          > > > > will spread our unconditional love to others naturally.
                          > > >
                          > > > Well, as wonderful as love is to give and to receive, I think
                          it
                          > > > gets over-rated as a religious notion. Love has its dangers. It
                          > is,
                          > > > after all, love that is behind most of the violence in this
                          > world.
                          > > > It is, ultimately, love of a certain ideal or a certain
                          homeland
                          > or
                          > > > even just of ones' friends and family that motivates
                          Palestinian
                          > > > suicide bombers and terrorists who blow up Russian schools. It
                          > was
                          > > > love that led the US and USSR to build vast stockpiles of
                          > nuclear
                          > > > weapons.
                          > > >
                          > > > People like me who lived through the 60's discovered that the
                          > > > logical conclusion of the "All you need is love" philosophy is
                          > > > Altamont. - Brian
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.