Does Castro have a Buddha nature?

  • gachiriki
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2004
      To give a judgement on a certain country leader we have one of 2
      references: the media perspective or the Buddhist perspective.
      Which of these 2 references affects our judgement is a matter of
      consideration.

      In one recent Group meeting, with the subject of "Activating the
      Buddha nature in evil oriented people" one member said she had a
      difficulty in overcoming hatred to the American President, and the
      discussion then brought Castro and Bush to the meeting. In a recent
      speech, P.Ikeda mentioned that when he met with Castro they argued
      for a long time, and the word "argued" means that the dialogue (on
      democracy, peace etc..) was not a smooth journey.
      P.Ikeda was also creticised for going to meet P. Kossigen of the
      Soviet Union especially at time of border dispute between the
      nuclear powers,
      and was severly criticised for meeting ZhoEnlai the Chinese leader,
      a visit in which as a Japanese, he apologised for war crimes and
      offered a perspective of gradual change of relations from hatred and
      bitterness into mutual cultural exchange. Criticised by the Head
      Temple, he answered that he'll go to meet people everywhere because
      all people have the Buddha nature. Few years after, one chinese
      University (or Museum?), presented the SGI with part of original
      text of the Lotus Sutra, found in some excavations. I don't know
      whether any of Castros crimes equals that of murdering one's father,
      as king Ajatashatru did, but the Buddha's comapssion later emerged
      in his heart and he was later converted to Buddhism.
      gachiriki