Re: Good for you, Kathy Ruby!

  • Christopher H. Holte
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Matthews"
      <patmatthews@s...> wrote:
      > Chris,
      > It is pretty simple. Good friends encourage our faith in embracing
      > Nam-Myoh-renge-Kyo, Evil friends discourage the same. There will
      > always be those opportunities of friends to bring out the good or
      > bad in our life, but that is no more than the environment effecting
      > our life, instead of our life influencing the environment, esho
      > funi.

      Pat, the point of practicing Buddhism, is that your practice is aimed
      at "changing poison into medicine," which means that whether or not
      anyone is a good friend or a bad friend to us depends on our faith.
      If you have strong enough faith you have no bad friends -- only good
      ones.

      > Recognizing those that mean us good or evil is important in our
      > individual life. Looking for clues, if we need them, can be found
      > in people's behaviour, hellish attitudes, hungry for power,
      > animalistic ways of self survival over other's failure. These are
      > attributes of poor behaviour by ourself or others. Observing one's
      > self is the easiest way to see the entire realm of the Ten Worlds
      > at work, I believe.

      True, and if you associate with bad friends and let their thinking
      disrupt your practice, then you are being a bad friend to yourself.
      We practice to fill our environment with friends. We do that by
      befriending ourselves. Recognizing a bad day for what it is, we can
      avoid letting our anger temper our judgement of a person. The anger
      itself is useful, it is telling us we need to judge something.
      However, recognizing what world we are in can help us judge without
      the distortions that life condition gives us. The difference between
      being exhausted and being spiritually exhausted, is that when we are
      merely exhausted we can say to ourselves "the sun will come out
      tomorrow." When we are spiritually exhausted all we can think about
      is the moment we are in. "I'm hungry!" "I'm angry!" No thoughtfulness
      and no distinctions. "I'm hungry but I can wait five minutes for
      Grandma to get her plate, and I can stand near her rather than
      sitting down so she can sit."

      > If we want to truly understand how the ten worlds intereact with
      > life, all we need to do is observe our self, working within the
      > other Ten Worlds of other's lives. We can see a reflection of our
      > own life-state in the eye's of others observing us, I believe. If
      > we want to know what a good or evil friend looks like, all that is
      > necessary is to look in the mirror, I believe.

      And we need to work with ourselves. And yes, you are right. Except
      that if you don't like what you see in the mirror, you have the
      option to put on some "makeup" (or if you are a guy like me to shave
      and comb your hair).

      Chris