Re: [SGI] printing Gohonzon

  • Kathy Ruby
    Message 1 of 89 , Aug 1 11:27 AM
      You may be right -- the downloaded Gohonzon is just a piece of paper or a bit of bandwidth. But the Gohonzon I have enshrined at home is my object of worship. I made it so by practicing to it.

      Kathy

      Tim <tac828@...> wrote:
      But Kathy, the real Gohonzon is not the piece of paper, but is the
      inner truth of our Buddhahood. And this becomes true, and activated,
      so to speak, through one's faith. But without that faith, the
      Gohonzon mandala IS just a piece of paper, and seen in that way can't
      be disrespected.

      Tim

      Kathy Ruby <kathyruby@y...> wrote:
      > What people seem to agree on is the idea of revering the Gohonzon.
      But they do not agree on what revering the Gohonzon means.

      > Allowing the Gohonzon to be available for anyone who wants one, for
      whatever reason, trivial or not? Isn't that akin to just printing
      them out and distributing them as flyers to any passerby? In my book,
      that doesn't qualify as revering the Gohonzon.

      > I've seen downloaded Gohonzon used as "skins" for media players.
      There are probably a million and one uses for them, but how is that
      Buddhism? In my humble opinion, downloading Gohonzon degrades the
      Gohonzon -- it cheapens it and turns it into an amusing screensaver
      and nothing more.

      > Kathy

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Shermaine
      Message 89 of 89 , Aug 7 4:31 PM
        Agreed with you Dan,

        unclepizza <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        people unable to visually see the gohonzon but are able to get benefit EVEN!

        ***You are so... right. During my first 3 years of chanting to blank wall due to ex-communication, this law still "take care" of me. Well, I do travel abit and neglect my gohonzon back home, still... I experience lot of obstacles and breakthrough simply chanting to blank hotel room walls.

        Imagine this, my leaders coming to my home and take away my "paper" gohonzon because I am neglecting it and they can protect it? Gratitude to my senior who taught me that the most important gohonzon is the one within myself, the one and only that nobody can take away from me.

        BTW, do recall my Japanese senior sharing with me about Gakkai exploring the concept of doing away with a gohonzon. Something like Nichiren first chanted facing the sun or east. Of course that was before Nichikan gohonzon came into the picture.

        There is gohonzon experiences from Asia that prove the great compassion of this law to withstand slandering. Been thinking of sharing one.

        shermaine

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT