Re: peace proposal 2003

  • Bob Mann
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2003
      Since Micha use the same gosho quote as I did on this and another
      board I wanted to post the response on this board too. Also, earlier
      on this board I posted an analogy of what if Germany/Japan had been
      the victors in WWII. I said something to the effect that Shinto
      would run supreme. Since we live by the law of "cause and effect",
      can we say that if Japan had won WWII that there would be no SGI, no
      Nam Myoho Renge Kyo in our life?. I think that would be a safe bet.
      I also feel that because of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo we will make our way
      to the Land of Tranquil Light. Anyway, for what its worth, here
      goes....

      You mentioned that you thought I was using the Gosho to show how we
      should always fight evil. Not so, only showing at times that it can
      be justified. You mention a couple times in your post that you are
      angry, or when you're angry, you try to talk to someone.
      Excellent!. Dialogue is great. At the minimum, it only requires
      two people. You go on to say it's evident that both Bush and Blair
      are the evil ones, and that the cause is one of the 3 poisons,
      stupidity. (The other two being Greed and Anger).

      Nichiren says that his followers should wield the sword of Nam Myoho
      Renge Kyo and not to be a coward in its use. Wielding the sword of
      NMRK is shakubuku and compassion for others. So the question is, how
      can we show our compassion for others?

      Yesterday two things happened near where I live in Portland, Oregon,
      on the West Coast of the USA. Early in the afternoon there was
      a "talk radio" show that had a peace activist as a guest. This guest
      was to participate in a peace march scheduled for later in the day,
      so was invited to speak at the station. The guest was very eloquent
      and explained how war is evil and that many innocent people die
      because of it. Other people could call in and talk to the guest
      about the peace march, or the war, both pro and con. An Iraqi
      person called in and said he would join the peace march if the guest
      could guarantee that Saddam would no longer kill innocent people
      within Iraq. The guess became befuddled and had a hard time
      speaking intelligently. Thereupon, the Iraqi took the lead in the
      conversation and told how 32 members of his family had either been
      tortured, murdered, or missing. The guess was speechless, having no
      idea how to protect innocent people living under Saddam's rule. The
      second thing that happened had to do with the peace march itself.
      During the peace march a small segment of the marchers started
      burning the American flag. A young lady of about 19 or 20, one of
      the peace marchers, tried to put out the burning flag, but was
      attacked and violently hit several times by them. The police were
      able to save the girl from being beaten any further. There was a TV
      station crew at the scene and they were able to talk to her right
      way. She explained, as tears were streaming down her face, that she
      was there to demonstrate against war and to pray for peace, but
      couldn't stand by and let her flag burn.

      Both of these examples show that good intentions are not always
      enough. It also shows how some peaceful persons can suddenly turn
      violent and do to others exactly what they are protesting against.

      You ask if it is the prevalent feeling in the USA that Saddam is
      wrong. The answer, Yes. You ask if the USA thinks it is protecting
      the world. The answer, No. What we are protecting is ourselves and
      thereby all other people who want to live in a free society, with
      free speech, with original thought, and the right to protest in a
      civil manner without fear or reprisal. AND without the fear of
      Terrorist attacks now or in the future.

      In regards to your dream about the US and EU at war with one
      another. Rest assured that will ever happen. We hold the same
      ideals and hopes for humanity. It's ok to disagree once in a while.
      One other thing you said was that "if we had more worldly knowledge,
      we wouldn't do the terrible things we do. That we've done away with
      communism, and fascism, and the other big idealism's of the 19th
      century." My question is, how do you think that was accomplished?
      And, are they really gone? What's to stop them from making a come
      back? Here is a factoid to think about…. There are 44 conflicts
      going on in the world at this time. Of the 44, 42 of them involve a
      country or culture that is predominantly Muslim or involving Muslims.

      I feel an awesome responsibility when Sensei says that America will
      lead they way to Kosen rufu. I thought, why would he say such a
      thing? It must have to do with the fact that America is made up of
      all the cultures and peoples of the world. A melting pot of peoples
      where dialogue and the understanding of each person's individuality
      and human rights runs supreme.

      What is America, Evil? Read on…..

      Here is a poem by Emma Lazarus, titled "The New Colossus"
      Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
      With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
      Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
      A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
      Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
      Mother of Exiles. From her Beacon-hand
      Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
      The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
      "Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
      With silent lips.
      "Give me your tired, your poor,
      Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
      The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
      Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
      I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

      My country is not evil, nor is yours. I don't ask for an apology,
      but just to ponder what was said. I pray for the protesters, the
      innocents, and the warriors. I pray for world peace and the
      happiness of all humanity.

      One of my favorite movies is The Wizard of OZ. What a great story.
      People overcoming obstacles and learning lessons of life as they make
      their way to the land of Tranquil Light, oops, Emerald City. I
      remember the Wicked Witch and the spell she cast upon her people.
      They were mean and obeyed her every command. It was gratifying in
      the end, as she melted away, to see the happiness of her people
      return as the spell and the torture she had inflected upon them was
      removed. If the people of Iraq act in the same manner when Saddam is
      removed, then justice has been served. Peace….

      (P.S. The poem above is inscribed on the tablet of our lady, The
      Statue of Liberty)

      --- In SokaGakkaiInternational@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Matthews"
      <patmatthews@s...> wrote:
      > Micha,
      > I do understand the difference between civil disobedience military
      > aggression. Do we don our armor and invade foreign countries
      because we
      > believe they can harm us or they have not met our standard of
      disarmament.
      > The time for dialogue has come to end regarding the combatants in
      this war
      > because the timing was right to strike our enemies before they
      strike us?

      > I have always felt, I do not have enemies, just friends I have yet
      to make.
      > I hold my hand out in peace, not with a closed fist. Soldiers have
      > difficult time with war and personal beliefs. They have to kill in
      the name
      > of nationalism when they are called upon to perform their duties.
      We have a
> [...]
      my ears.
      > I do not believe in invading foreign countries just because someone
      says
      > they could be dangerous. Dialogue is more effective. It seems non-
      violent
      > solutions were working just fine until the USA removed them and
      started a
      > war on other human beings. I sure do not see anyone invading our
      foreign
      > shores and I sure can hear the entire world calling for peace and
      to stop
      > the war. Maybe we should listen to the people of the world for a
      change.
      > Buddhism is about empowering the people of the world to stop the
      violence.

      > Pat
      > oooooooooooooooooooooooo
      >

      > Pat, I found this portion from the Gosho that deals with comparing
      of Shoju
      > and shakubuku to the civil and military used in a government. This
      may
      > clarify some misconceptions we may have regarding this issue.
      >
      > "If, failing to understand this principle, one were to practice
      shoju or
      > shakubuku at an inappropriate time, then not only would one be
      unable to
      > attain Buddhahood, but one would fall into the evil paths. This is
      firmly
      > laid down in the Lotus and Nirvana sutras, and is also clearly
      stated in the
      > commentaries by T'ien-t'ai and Miao-lo. It is, in fact, an important
      > principle of Buddhist practice.
      >
      > "We may compare these two kinds of practice to the two ways of the
      civil and
      > the military used in governing a nation. There is a time when
      military
      > measures should take precedence, and a time when civil measures
      ought to be
      > emphasized. When the world is at peace and calm prevails within the
      country,
      > then civil measures should take precedence. But when the barbarian
      tribes to
      > the east, south, west, and north, fired by wild ambitions, rise up
      like
      > hornets, then military measures should come first.
      >

      > "Though one may understand the importance of both civil and
      military arts,
      > if one does not understand the time, donning armor and taking up
      weapons
      > when all countries are calm and peaceful and there is no trouble
      anywhere
      > throughout the world, then one's actions will be wrong. On the
      other hand,
      > one who lays aside one's weapons on the battlefield when enemies are
      > marching against one's ruler and instead takes up a writing brush
      and ink
      > stone is likewise failing to act in accordance with the time.

      N ( I I )