SGI President Ikeda's New Year's Message

  • win_spirit
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      SGI President Ikeda's New Year's Message

      Happy New Year to all of you on the start of this hope-filled 2003!
      Through your incredible efforts, our SGI network dedicated to peace,
      culture and education has now spread to a total of 185 countries and

      With my deepest respect and appreciation, I applaud you for the way
      you have continued to advance with courage and perseverance despite
      many difficult challenges. What joy your achievements surely bring
      Nichiren Daishonin, the original Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law,
      as well as the Buddhas and bodhisattvas throughout the universe!
      There can be no doubt of the immense benefit and good fortune you and
      your families will enjoy!

      The Daishonin writes: "What does Bodhisattva Never Disparaging's
      profound respect for people signify? The purpose of the appearance in
      this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his
      behavior as a human being" (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p.

      The principles of peace-creation and respect for the sanctity of
      life, which the world is so earnestly seeking, are found in the
      humanistic teachings of Nichiren Buddhism. Now the time has come for
      the SGI to fulfill its true purpose.

      Many thinking people express their support and understanding for our
      movement of human revolution, describing it as a solid source of hope
      for the world in these dark, uncertain times. In your respective
      places of profound mission, please continue to actively contribute to
      your communities as exemplary citizens, further expanding our circle
      of friendship and trust and forging an unshakable solidarity for
      peace and humanism.

      The Daishonin urges us to speak to others to the best of our ability
      about Buddhism, even if only a single sentence or phrase (see WND,
      386). Dialogue that is based on truth and justice is our strongest
      weapon. Only to the extent that we summon forth our courage and
      sincerely talk with others about Buddhism can we plant the seeds of
      Buddhahood in others' hearts and change the times. The mutual
      inspiration and inner transformation that arise from such life-to-
      life encounters set in motion a sure, nonviolent current to world

      The SGI organization, heir to the Buddha's will and decree, serves to
      foster the solidarity of faith. The Daishonin writes: "Although
      Nichiren and his followers are few, because they are different in
      body, but united in mind, they will definitely accomplish their great
      mission of widely propagating the Lotus Sutra. Though evils may be
      numerous, they cannot prevail over a single great truth" (WND, 618).

      This is the Daishonin's eternal guidance. Unless we are solidly
      united in purpose, no benefit will be forthcoming. Please continue
      moving forward wisely, harmoniously and committed to unity above all,
      thereby maintaining a happy and amicable advance, in which all savor
      boundless good fortune.

      My beloved SGI members around the world, let us make this year one of
      great victory on all fronts -- in our daily lives, in our human
      revolution, in our jobs, in our communities and in our activities for
      kosen-rufu -- and let us together lead wonderful lives in which all
      our desires are fulfilled!

      Once again, I wish you all the best for the coming year. My sincerest
      prayers for the good health and happiness of you and your families,
      and for the peace and prosperity of your respective countries and
      territories. Please take care of yourselves!

      New Year's Day, 2003

      Daisaku Ikeda
      Soka Gakkai International
    • wyn
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
        SGI President Ikeda's New Year's Message

        I wish you all a brilliant New Year! Congratulations on your high-spirited
        gathering today marking the start of the Year of Total Victory of Soka.

        Today Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism has spread to 186 countries and
        territories, signaling development on a scale unprecedented in the history
        of Buddhism. Through your commendable activities, more and more people are
        coming to have a profound understanding and appreciation of the SGI's
        commitment to peace, culture, and education.

        How overjoyed and full of praise the Daishonin and the Buddhas and
        bodhisattvas throughout the universe must surely be at the steady, earnest
        efforts each of you is making to advance kosen-rufu in the respective
        places of your mission. There is no doubt that the immeasurable benefit and
        good fortune you are accumulating due to your dedication will continue to
        adorn your lives throughout all future existences. With deepest respect and
        admiration, I heartily applaud all of you, who are carrying out a great
        movement for peace and happiness never before witnessed in the history of

        In the Gosho, it states: "The example of one individual applies equally to
        all people" (GZ, 564). This great Buddhism, which the Daishonin alone
        proclaimed and began to practice, is a philosophy that enables all people
        without exception to attain a state of infinite happiness.

        The Daishonin also describes the way in which kosen-rufu will spread
        throughout the world, saying: "At first only Nichiren chanted
        Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, but then two, three, and a hundred followed, chanting
        and teaching others. Propagation will unfold this way in the future as
        well. Does this not signify 'emerging from the earth'?" (WND, 385).

        The first and most basic starting point of our great cultural movement of
        kosen-rufu is for each person to stand up on their own, self-reliant in
        faith. The great human revolution of one person will lead to the creation
        of boundless joy for both oneself and others and to the expansion of a
        beautiful garden of peace and hope around the globe.

        It is vital, therefore, that each one of us bravely stands up in the place
        we are now. When we recognize what a profound mission we have as
        Bodhisattvas of the Earth and set forth fearlessly to realize kosen-rufu,
        the path ahead will open up before us and many people will follow in our

        At the start of this new year, I would like to reconfirm with you the Soka
        Gakkai's Five Eternal Guidelines. They are:

        1. Faith for a harmonious family
        2. Faith for each person to become happy
        3. Faith for surmounting obstacles
        4. Faith for health and long life
        5. Faith for absolute victory

        With these five immortal guidelines as your basis, please advance in
        beautiful harmony and joyous unity. For where people are solidly united in
        the spirit of "many in body, one in mind," they will enjoy happiness,
        benefit, good health, and victory.

        Let us work hard once again this year as outstanding citizens of our
        countries and communities to contribute to people's happiness, to social
        development, to world peace, and to the security and well-being of all
        humankind. I will continue to chant even more earnestly for the health,
        endeavors, and safety of each precious one of you.

        My very best to you all.

        Three cheers for the noble members of the SGI!

        New Year's Day, 2004

        Daisaku Ikeda
        Soka Gakkai International