Re: questions

  • leah
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2002
      Hi Tim!!
      Awesome questions- I have asked them before myself. I
      would say first, that chanting nam-myoho-renge-kyo is
      not magic. I say this because it sounds like you
      expect your results from your daimoku to have come
      about not by ordinary means. But 'benefit'
      results/growth/ fortun- whatever you want to call it,
      comes from exactly your ordinary everyday actions.
      There are only very few times you chant and 'poof' it
      materializes like a miracle and that is when you just
      start and need actual proof, your life is at a MAJOR
      crucial moment (like life or death).
      Chanting nam-myoho-renge-kyo doesn't mean you won't
      have to go through all the steps (like taking
      medication or seeing a therapist), it means you will
      have the innate wisdom, life force, and courage to
      take the right steps and change twice as much in this
      one life time as you might have otherwise. And you
      change it on such a deep level that it affects
      life-times ahead and behind.
      Daimoku leads to self reflection, which leads to
      unveiling you delusions about your life, which leads
      to action of value, which leads to happiness.

      How daimoku works is very mystical- in other words, I
      can't describe it. For me, it manifests in many ways.
      But I do know that I am fusing my lesser superficial
      self (my ego and single life-time consciousness) with
      a grander eternal self that encompasses all that magic
      stuff we call life in the universe (the law-
      nam-myoh-renge-kyo) and by doing that I begin to move
      my life according to a greater rythem, a greater
      knowledge and ultimately recognize my life -even in my
      little ego self- as a buddha. I do know that every
      time you chant nam-myoho-renge-kyo you are making a
      great cause and developing fortune in your life-
      whether you use it now, or ten years down the road the
      exact whatever you need in your life will be there.
      Fortune gets stored in your life like a bank account
      collecting interest. (maybe a really good money market
      accnt.)

      It manifests differently all the time- sometimes I
      don't even feel it while chanting. Sometimes I feel
      high of life and profoundly changed. Sometimes someone
      walking down the street three days later will say
      something to me out of the blue that was EXACTLY what
      I needed to hear and KNOW it was a direct answer to my
      prayer. I take my medicine (I have manic-depression)
      and it helps- it's my daimoku that gave me the wisdom
      to do what I need to do to protect myself. I tried for
      a long time not to take my medicine- wanted chanting
      to take the problem away magicly and my
      seniors-in-faith always told me 'Buddhism is wisdom-
      take your damn medicine! If you were bleeding to death
      on the side of the road you wouldn't just chant to
      stop bleeding you would get to the hospital!'
      Ultimately Buddhism IS action, it's just what action
      do you take?
      I think the attitude one should strive to maintain is
      sincerety, don't seek this Gohonzon (the power of the
      law) outside of yourself, and honostly be you exactly
      as you are (because you inner life- the Gohonzon,
      already knows anyway!).

      :) Leah

      =====
      Today I resolutely stand up to touch another's heart.
      Today I will couragously stand up against violence, be it verbal, emotional or physical.
      Today I stand up for peace.

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • bholly72
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002