Re: In the Land of the Rose Apple 30

  • chris_holte
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      David,<br><br>Thank you for presenting your
      theories on the meaning of the characters inscribed on the
      Gohonzon. You could have phrased it simpler, and you
      needn't have presumed that this was a first time
      offering. Basically Nichiren used the Chinese Characters
      for these various things to accomplish two things.
      "Goddesses" and Demons, have no independent existence outside
      of their relationship to the Saha world and the
      Lotus Sutra, that "we" (humanities collective and
      individual behavior) give them. <br><br>Second, is that
      through the Lotus Sutra they become emminations or
      functions of Buddhahood and thus manifest Buddhahood within
      the Saha world.<br><br>By listening to, embracing,
      learning, copying and sharing the Lotus Sutra essence
      "Daimoku" all becomes in balance within ones life. Thus the
      symbolism of the Life of the Buddha's joined with the Life
      of the Law through the messenger (also a Buddha) who
      "carries" the Law (votary).<br><br>And third they represent
      the three thousand world modality for this purpose of
      "casting off their transcient identity" and manifesting
      Buddhahood in their "present form" as they did in the Lotus
      Sutra ceremony in the air and as we "promised to do" in
      that same ceremony and "remembered" in this life when
      we started to chant.<br><br>Thus Brahma and Shakra
      (God the Father, God the protector), all have vowed to
      protect votaries of the Lotus Sutra because they are
      votaries of "one great truth" that they themselves are
      seeking to awaken to.<br><br>Chris