Re: A dog for a mentor

  • allathurion
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      Eric's observation about the entomology of the
      Japanese "Sensei" is interesting, but rather than refering
      to reincarnation, might it simply mean that the
      teacher, or "sensei" is older, and has lived through the
      learning process him or herself before? I agree that
      linguistic variations can cast ideas in a new light. I'm
      willing to continue the discussion in German
      ;).<br>Seriously, Mercia I wanted to explain my idea of karma, and
      dog training a little bit.<br>When I take on the care
      and feeding of a dog or any pet, I create a cause,
      and the animal's behavior becomes an effect: my
      karma. Since I am responsible for my karma, I need to
      find a kind way of training my pet. After all, they
      can tell when someone is unkind to them. What I've
      come up with goes like this: certain behaviors by the
      animal are a cause it is creating, and my action is the
      effect. For example, Luby often starts barking around
      supper time. I take that to mean she wants to go out.
      One might guess she wants a morsel, she might act
      like she is unwilling to go out. I comfort her in her
      confusion, and put her out--maybe briefly. She had asked to
      go out. The barking behavior becomes less frequent
      as she learns what it means to me. She starts
      whining instead ;). Kindness and consistency go together.
      Does this make sense?<br>Freedom and responsibility
      are two sides of the same coin. The pets have less
      freedom as a result of being domesticated, but the trade
      off is a human takes responsibility for their needs
      and their training. They make an effort to fit in to
      the "pack", and we work to bring them into our
      family. Unkind behavior is obviously bad karma and
      counter-productive.<br>They teach only by the insights we generate ourselves
      from interacting with them. The relationship is
      satisfying and profound nevertheless.<br>with love,<br>Robin