Re: A dog for a mentor

  • janouche2003uk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hi Robin,<br><br>If you remember, I use the word
      'parent'. <br><br>A child with sticky fingers and a black
      face with food stains all over his/her dress/clothes
      will be put in the bath and get a fresh change of
      clothes. A child that is rude and/or a pain in the
      proverbial back-side, will be asked politely (preferrably)
      to behave in a different manner. All depends on the
      skills of the parents.<br><br>I take my dogs to school
      where they are trained by reinforcement. This mean when
      they offer a good behaviour one clicks and treats the
      dog. By repeating the same action say 50 times and on
      a regular basis, the dog learns, hey, if I sit I
      get a treat and voila you have your behaviour on cue.
      No shoving, pushing and or beating the dog into a
      'SIT'. (Loud, Loud and even Louder SITTTTT), frightening
      the dog out of its wits, so the dog cowards down and
      offers a sit (but out of fear). My dogs offer a sit
      because they get a treat. Once the behaviour is on cue,
      they still offer the sit, but do not always get the
      treat. I have 5 dogs and trying to control 5 dogs off
      the lead is no mean task. I never put my dogs on a
      lead. At least not until they are 7 years old. By this
      time they will have calmed down and the lead is not a
      tool of restriction. It is different when other people
      walk my dogs (which does happen occasionally), but I
      advise to take one maximum 2 at a time. I never walk my
      dogs around the block, they are put in the car and
      driven to the woods, the Farmland and/or the commons.
      They can run, chase rabbits and do the things that
      dogs do. Unfortunately occasionally roll in fox dung.
      Which stinks like high hell. This invites the yuk word
      'BATH'. My Isadora loves me so much, she will give the
      behaviour without argument. She jumps in the bath and no
      problems. The little one's are still naughty, hide under
      the bed, but all they want is to please in return, so
      they give in fairly quickly.<br><br>continued...