Re chanting for a goal

  • Diane Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 2:11 PM
      Chant for anything and everything you want. You'll find yourself naturally
      focusing on the things that are most important, but don't discount the
      apparent negative answer. And don't be surprised if you have more than what
      you wanted without even realizing it. The Mystic Law isn't all about being a
      supernatural vending machine that puts out the more you put into it; it's
      about enabling you to be in the right place at the right time, or having the
      ability to see how to get what you want.

      ++

      Funny (long) goal story:

      I remember chanting for months and months for ichinen -determination-and
      being really frustrated that I wasn't getting it. I couldn't focus on my job
      or cleaning my cluttered quarter, or anything. All I wanted was to have
      enough focus and determination to clean my damned room and follow one task
      through to the end (maybe I'm ADD).

      I got my Gohonzon in Dallas in December 1984 and a couple of weeks later
      found myself in West Berlin (stationed overseas). I was doing badly at my
      job and was therefore denied leave until I got out of training status.
      Oddly, I don't remember chanting to do well at my job, only to have the "get
      up and go" so I could clean my room.

      Anyhow, about June 29 my boss took pity on me and decided that maybe I would
      do better if I took a vacation and relaxed. I had wanted to attend the Youth
      Culture Festival in Hawaii, but that was on July 4th and here it was just
      about that time. I had no money. I had just gotten a my first bank account
      in December back in Boston.

      Berlin was an overnight train trip to Frankfort am Main (which is a 3-hour
      drive, I think, but not the way the military ran it). So everybody was nice
      enough to zip through the paperwork while I went and bought a dress (white
      cotton sailor dress) and my friend sewed me two more wonderful dresses, and
      that night I was on the train to Frankfort, where I went to another Air
      Force Base to get a military airlift flight. Turns out I was too late. But
      I began crying and someone let me have his spot. I don't remember where I
      landed, but somehow got to Boston and home, where my family wondered what
      the hell I was doing. I told them I was going to get a bank loan and go to
      Hawaii. I had no credit and had never had a loan before. I asked my dad to
      co-sign. He didn't want to, but I insisted I wanted to try. He warned me
      that I would be disappointed, because banks didn't hand out money to people
      with no credit, but he came with me so he could be there when I was denied a
      loan. Since my military pay was direct-deposit, I got my loan five minutes
      after I walked in. Dad was in shock.

      Then I went to the travel agent to see about a flight. Again, it fell into
      my lap. A couple of hours later, I was on a plane to LA and then to Hawaii.
      Oddly enough, the flight from California to Hawaii was full of women in
      sailor dresses. I arrived July 3rd.

      When I got to Hawaii, naturally I had no hotel. But a kind Buddhist family
      from Chicago let me park my duffel bag with them and let me sleep on the
      floor. Then, out of all the people in the city, I found the guy who
      shakubukued the guy who shakubuked me, and he offered me a spot on the floor
      in the Royal Hawaiian hotel where he was staying for a week until he left.
      We were friends, and it was great to reconnect. I was all excited. He had to
      go to get ready to be in a parade. We made plans to meet later, and I went
      to sit in my sailor dress and watch the parade. I took pictures.

      The dad of the Chicago family that was so nice to me wound up being pulled
      from the street and got to watch the parade sitting beside Sensei! So his
      kindness to me was paid back. Then I went to meet

      the guy who shakubukued the guy who shakubuked me. He introduced me to the
      woman who shakubukued him. She was stationed in Hawaii. Turns out you had
      to be invited to the Culture Festival, and had to have tickets. Of course, I
      didn't. But she had extra tickets to the festival, the dress rehearsal, and
      dinner with Sensei. I attended all of them, and found out that the sailor
      dress was the uniform for Women's Division and Young Women's Division, the
      only difference being the color of the tie. I had the wrong colored tie, but
      otherwise my dress was remarkably similar to the official uniform, about
      which I knew nothing. While at the festival, I met some women who were upset
      they couldn't see themselves in the parade. It turns out I had pictures of
      them, so I gave them the pictures.

      The woman who shakubukued the guy who shakubukued the guy who shakubukued me
      (did I get that right?) offered me her house, which was on the north side of
      the island and had a private beach, for my second week. So I spent two weeks
      in Hawaii, spent not one cent on hotels, made new friends, reconnected with
      an old one, got a loan in spite of no credit, got a seat on a full flight,
      made it in time for the festivities and attended them - including dinner
      with Sensei -- even though I wasn't supposed to.

      I was bitching about the fact that I had been unsuccessful in attaining
      Ichinen to the woman who shakubukued the guy who shakubukued the guy who
      shakubukued me. She looked at me, recounted what I had done in a matter of
      days, and said "Are you kidding?"

      Turns out I was like the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz, and had what I wanted
      the whole time.

      Diane

      PS I failed at my job and got reassigned. Painful, humiliating, etc. but I
      met my husband as a result.

    • shepherdspie1962
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20 7:24 AM
        **personally** I think one should chant with the goal of attaining enlightenment/eradicating ones karma. I don't know how one can single mindedly focus on the daimoku at the same time they are focused on getting some specific outcome. I think that as we eradicate karma our life condition improves. I'm not so sure we can determine specifically what those improvements will be, as we don't even really know what karma we have created in the past which we are trying to eradicate. just my opinion.

        --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "Diane Howard" <kochefko@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > the island and had a private beach, for my second week. So I spent two weeks
        > in Hawaii, spent not one cent on hotels, made new friends, reconnected with
        > an old one, got a loan in spite of no credit, got a seat on a full flight,
        > made it in time for the festivities and attended them - including dinner
        > with Sensei -- even though I wasn't supposed to.
        >
        > I was bitching about the fact that I had been unsuccessful in attaining
        > Ichinen to the woman who shakubukued the guy who shakubukued the guy who
        > shakubukued me. She looked at me, recounted what I had done in a matter of
        > days, and said "Are you kidding?"
        >
        > Turns out I was like the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz, and had what I wanted
        > the whole time.
        >
        > Diane
        >
        > PS I failed at my job and got reassigned. Painful, humiliating, etc. but I

      • Margaret Blaine
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21 12:20 PM
          Great experiences. You were really in rhythm with the universe.
          I think you just set an intention and then chant without worrying about
          it any more. No forcing. I have learned that I have a Buddha nature and
          can rely on it through the process of chanting for goals. Of course we
          can chant for anything focused or not. But, if I have a project, like
          the book I have finished, /Your Path to Unshakeable Happiness, /which is
          on Nichiren Buddhism for new people, I did focus and came up with oodles
          of ideas for the book. So maybe different times, different types of
          chanting depending on where you are that day.