Re: Dai-Gohonzon

  • William
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2012
      hey Rob...hope you got my earlier email...I was deeply moved by Greg's video...he said basically what Nichiko Hori said in 1939...

      As I see it,there is no such thing as a particular gohonzon inscribed for "all mankind" ("dai-gohonzon no ichien budai soyo").

      "Dai-mandara" and "Dai-gohonzon" are equal and interchangeable terms...Nichiren used the former term on almost half of the 126 or so Gohonzon inscribed in his own hand, and which still exist. Or so I'm told...I can vouch for several myself.

      I'm delighted that Greg made his point so clearly...even though others told me he never did....???

      Here's the excerpts...possibly editied or in error...

      24:49
      "I'd like to take a little bit of a side trip here, not too far off...but I want to talk about the phrase where the Daishonin says "this is the reason for my advent in this world...traditionally, we have all been taught that this phrase indicates the inscription of "the" gohonzon which was accomplished on October 12, 1279, Indeed in another letter altogether, the Daishonin also says that.." I have fulfilled the purpose of my advent."..and it has been traditionally taught to us, especially during the times when we were receiving instruction from the Nichiren Shoshu priesthood that this referred to a speciic object inscribed at a specific time that has specific powers. But here this letter written much earlier than 1279 to Abutsubo the Daishonin makes the same exact claim. That requires of us that we look a little bit deeper into the meaning of the purpose of his advent..Nichiren daishonin's goal is to awaken in people the kind of strong faith explained in this letter. To have them see the treasure tower within their own lives and help others to do so as well. This is his ultimate purpose. The gohonzon itself is a means to that end...an important one. But not the ultimate or the complete purpose for the Daishonin's advent..He didn't appear simply to inscribe an object. He inscribed an object of devotion in order to fulfill, and for us as a tool to fulfill the real ultimate purpose of his advent...that is to awaken each person to their vow to faith in the treasure tower, to see the Gohonzon within themselves, not the Gohonzon outside. In "The heritage of the Ultimate Law of life", the Daishonin says: " All disciples and lay supporters of Nichiren should chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo with the spirit of many in body but one in mind, transcending all differences among themselves to become as inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim.This spiritual bond is the basis for the universal transmission of the ultimate law of life and death. Herein lies the true goal of Nichiren's propagation." That's his goal.That's the purpose of his advent. Create a community of believers that are in this spiritual bond. Where thay can receive the transmission of the ultimate law of life and death another way of saying they can receive or manifest the three virtues of a Buddha….so, the ultimate reason for Nichiren's advent is to create the spiritual bonds of bodhisattvas of the earth….inscribing the Gohonzon, then was an important step toward achieving this goal of liberating people from suffering and achieving Kosen Rufu. Inscribing the Gohonzon was not the goal. It was a step in the journey…an important step for us to have or for the Daishonin to do, but it's a means to get to the ultimate conclusion."