another topic entirely

  • D Mathis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2011
      Hello -- As a relatively new member to this group, I have a question regarding much more tangible Buddhist-related issues:

      Is there anyone out there who re-strings juzu beads?  I have two old pairs with grungy cord but the beads are fine.  I suppose I could go to my local bead store & get the cord & pom-poms (or tassels) & figure out how to do it myself; however I would really rather pay someone who already knows how.

      Cheers.
      Derek in Williamsburg, Virginia
      USA

    • wkallander
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
        Hi Derek,

        One idea is to contact one of the custom juzu sites (a few listed below) and ask them. I know Sun Lotus actually lists the restringing service on their website.

        As a side rant... I'm sure that it can be done in Japan, but for some strange reason American sites all seem to want to replace the round tassels with straight ones (like graduation-mortar-board tassels), or simply replace the tassel with large beads. I'm not a fan of either style myself. The last time I was in Japan, I came across a set of beads that had a monkey's paw knot ( https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Monkey%27s_fist ) for each tassel, which I thought was fantastic. Unfortunately, after several years now, they have recently become unstrung too, so I may be looking to restring them as well - so I'd be very interested in hearing how yours turn out. The beads themselves are not all that special though, so I've been debating about whether to restring, knowing that the tassels were really my favourite part, and it's not likely I'll find any places capable of duplicating that aspect.

        --Will

        Some custom-juzu sites (in random order):
        http://juzubeads.myshopify.com/
        http://myohobeads.com/
        http://www.sunlotus.com/
        http://www.buddhistequipment.com/

        NB: it might be worth contacting the nice folks at the main SGI bookstore if they have any recommendations as well:
        http://bookstore.sgi-usa.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=contactus

        --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, D Mathis <lutesong1@...> wrote:

        > Hello -- As a relatively new member to this group, I have a question regarding much more tangible Buddhist-related issues:
        >
        > Is there anyone out there who re-strings juzu beads? I have two old pairs with grungy cord but the beads are fine. I suppose I could go to my local bead store & get the cord & pom-poms (or tassels) & figure out how to do it myself; however I would really rather pay someone who already knows how.
        >
        > Cheers.
        > Derek in Williamsburg, Virginia
        > USA
      • verrytesty
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
          I have had really good experiences with Arika at Sun Lotus.

          They do great work and have an awesome selection of materials from which
          to choose if you want to add a more personalized look or weight.

          --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, "wkallander"
          <wkallander@...> wrote:

          > Hi Derek,
          >
          > One idea is to contact one of the custom juzu sites (a few listed
          below) and ask them. I know Sun Lotus actually lists the restringing
          service on their website.

          > As a side rant... I'm sure that it can be done in Japan, but for some
          strange reason American sites all seem to want to replace the round
          tassels with straight ones (like graduation-mortar-board tassels), or
          simply replace the tassel with large beads. I'm not a fan of either
          style myself. The last time I was in Japan, I came across a set of
          beads that had a monkey's paw knot (
          https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Monkey%27s_fist ) for
          each tassel, which I thought was fantastic. Unfortunately, after several
          years now, they have recently become unstrung too, so I may be looking
          to restring them as well - so I'd be very interested in hearing how
          yours turn out. The beads themselves are not all that special though,
          so I've been debating about whether to restring, knowing that the
          tassels were really my favourite part, and it's not likely I'll find any
          places capable of duplicating that aspect.

          > --Will
          >

          > Some custom-juzu sites (in random order):
          > http://juzubeads.myshopify.com/
          > http://myohobeads.com/
          > http://www.sunlotus.com/
          > http://www.buddhistequipment.com/
          >
          > NB: it might be worth contacting the nice folks at the main SGI
          bookstore if they have any recommendations as well:

          http://bookstore.sgi-usa.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category\
          _Code=contactus

          > --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, D Mathis lutesong1@
          wrote:

          > > Hello -- As a relatively new member to this group, I have a question
          regarding much more tangible Buddhist-related issues:

          > > Is there anyone out there who re-strings juzu beads? I have two old
          pairs with grungy cord but the beads are fine. I suppose I could go to
          my local bead store & get the cord & pom-poms (or tassels) & figure out
          how to do it myself; however I would really rather pay someone who
          already knows how.

          > > Cheers.
          > > Derek in Williamsburg, Virginia
          > > USA

        • Angela

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
              Dear Will -- Thanks so much for your input re:  juzu bead restringing (I like the monkey-paw knot).  I will absolutely let you know how mine turn out.

              Cheers.
              Derek

              ________________________________
              One idea is to contact one of the custom juzu sites (a few listed below) and ask them. I know Sun Lotus actually lists the restringing service on their website.

              As a side rant... I'm sure that it can be done in Japan, but for some strange reason American sites all seem to want to replace the round tassels with straight ones (like graduation-mortar-board tassels), or simply replace the tassel with large beads. I'm not a fan of either style myself. The last time I was in Japan, I came across a set of beads that had a monkey's paw knot ( https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Monkey%27s_fist ) for each tassel, which I thought was fantastic. Unfortunately, after several years now, they have recently become unstrung too, so I may be looking to restring them as well - so I'd be very interested in hearing how yours turn out. The beads themselves are not all that special though, so I've been debating about whether to restring, knowing that the tassels were really my favourite part, and it's not likely I'll find any places capable of duplicating that aspect.

              --Will

              Some custom-juzu sites (in random order):
              http://juzubeads.myshopify.com/
              http://myohobeads.com/
              http://www.sunlotus.com/
              http://www.buddhistequipment.com/

              NB: it might be worth contacting the nice folks at the main SGI bookstore if they have any recommendations as well:
              http://bookstore.sgi-usa.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=contactus

              --- In SokaGakkaiUnofficial@yahoogroups.com, D Mathis <lutesong1@...> wrote:

              > Hello -- As a relatively new member to this group, I have a question regarding much more tangible Buddhist-related issues:
              >
              > Is there anyone out there who re-strings juzu beads? I have two old pairs with grungy cord but the beads are fine. I suppose I could go to my local bead store & get the cord & pom-poms (or tassels) & figure out how to do it myself; however I would really rather pay someone who already knows how.
              >
              > Cheers.
              > Derek in Williamsburg, Virginia
              > USA

            • wkallander
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
                Thanks for the recommendation, maybe it's about time I got around to getting a custom pair.

                Time for some Juzu Bling!

                --Will