Re: Gratitude Re: [SGI] Re: Actual Proof and Heretical Chants

  • jodine richards
    Message 1 of 146 , Jul 1, 2010
      wow too...if you read me correctly, I askd Ryuei if that was correct coz he
      belongs to Nichiren Shu priesthood n has lots of knowledge like Robin....:p

      ________________________________
      Message 146 of 146 , Jul 14, 2010
        Background segment from the WND p. 1058

        This letter was written at Minobu in the seventh month of the third year of Koan
        (1280) to a woman called Myoichinyo, about whom very little is known. One theory
        identifies her with the lay nun Myoichi, a relative of Nissho, one of the
        Daishonin’s senior disciples. Employing a question-and- answer format, the
        Daishonin addresses the issue of whether it is the Lotus Sutra or the esoteric
        True Word teachings that represents the doctrine that enables one to attain
        Buddhahood in one’s present form; hence the writing’s title. This letter
        reflects the Daishonin’s conviction that explanations of doctrine should rest
        firmly on the authority of the Buddha’s own words as recorded in the sutras and
        not on the arbitrary opinions of later teachers...

        My understanding of the Passage:

        When Nichiren refers to the Lotus Sutra in all of his writings, he refers to the
        intent of the Lotus Sutra which enables all people to attain enlightenment in
        their present form without undergoing austere practices for countless of
        millions of years. Nichiren made this possible for all of us by revealing what
        was hidden in the Lotus Sutra to be its intent and establish the very practice
        that leads directly to enlightenment for all people in their present form. It is
        none other than his inscription of the Gohonzon for all of us and revealing that
        the center core of the Lotus Sutra is none other than the Daimoku hence
        Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

        He stated not to seek other way to attain supreme enlightenment other than
        having faith in the Gohonzon by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to observe our
        minds and manifest our eternal Budhahood.

        This is why Nichiren inscribed down the center of the Gohonzon:
        Nam-myoho-renge-kyo-Nichiren. and stated: " I, Nichiren, have inscribed my life
        in sumi ink, so believe in the Gohonzon with your whole heart. The Buddha’s will
        is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than
        Nam-myoho-renge-kyo." (reply to Kyo'O wnd. p.45)

        Only Nichiren was able to perceive what was hidden in the Lotus Sutra and  able
        to inscribe the Gohonzon. No one else can come after him and claim to be
        Nichiren. We are all Nichiren's disciples from the infinite past to the infinite
        future. This is an undeniable fact, when we sit in front of the Gohonzon and
        chant the daimoku to reveal our eternal connection with Nichiren depicted on the
        Gohonzon as his disciples. This is the meaning of "Our Oneness with the Law"
        makes it possible for us to be in Oneness with our eternal mentor Nichiren" and
        no one else!

        From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
        Wednesday, July 14, 2010:

        Outstanding Principles also declares: "Neither teacher nor disciples need
        undergo countless kalpas of austere practice in order to attain Buddhahood.
        Through the power of the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law they can do so in
        their present form.". . . The purpose of [this passage] of commentary is to
        clarify that the attainment of Buddhahood in one's present form is limited to
        the Lotus Sutra alone.

        Link to the page:

        The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1052

        The Doctrine of Attaining Buddhahood in One's Present Form
        Written to Myoichi-nyo on July 14, 1280

        Segment...

        QUESTION: In Japan, there are the six schools, the seven schools, and the eight
        schools. Among these, which school teaches the attainment of Buddhahood in one’s
        present form?

        Answer: According to the Great Teacher Dengyo, this doctrine is found only in
        the Lotus Sutra, while according to the Great Teacher Kobo, it is found only in
        the True Word teachings.

        Question: What proof can you show to support this?

        Answer: The Great Teacher Dengyo states in his Outstanding Principles of the
        Lotus Sutra: “You should understand that, among the sutras that the other
        schools rely upon, there are none that teach the doctrine of entering
        [Buddhahood] in one’s present form. Although a few of them appear to teach this
        doctrine, they limit such attainment to those who have reached the eighth of the
        ten stages of development or higher. They do not acknowledge [the attainment of
        Buddhahood in] the form of an ordinary person. Only the Tendai Lotus school
        clearly teaches this doctrine of entering [Buddhahood] in one’s present form.”

        Outstanding Principles also declares, “Neither teacher nor disciples need
        undergo countless kalpas of austere practice in order to attain Buddhahood.
        Through the power of the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law they can do so in
        their present form.” It also says, “You should understand that this passage1 is
        inquiring whether there are any persons who have attained Buddhahood, and so
        intends to manifest the great power and authority of this sutra.”The purpose of
        these passages of commentary is to clarify that the attainment of Buddhahood in
        one’s present form is limited to the Lotus Sutra alone.

        Question: What evidence can you show that would indicate the opinion of the
        Great Teacher Kobo?
        Answer: In his Comparison of Exoteric and Esoteric Buddhism, the Great Teacher
        Kobo states, “The Treatise on the Mind Aspiring for Enlightenment says: ‘Only in
        the True Word teachings can one attain Buddhahood in one’s present form, because
        these teachings expound the practice of samadhi meditation. No such exposition
        is to be found in the other types of teachings.’ I would like to point out that
        this treatise represents the secret storehouse, the heart and core, of all the
        thousand treatises written by the great sage

        Nagarjuna. In the passage just quoted, the phrase ‘other types of teachings’
        refers to the various doctrines expounded by the body of beneficence and by the
        various transformation bodies.2 These are all doctrines of the exoteric
        teachings. But the words ‘these teachings expound the practice of samadhi
        meditation’ refer to the teaching expounded by the body whose nature is the
        Dharma and to the samadhi practice carried out in the esoteric teachings of the
        True Word school. These are set forth in the hundred thousand verses of praise
        in the Diamond Crown Sutra and in other texts.”...