Re: The Human Metabolomic Project and GUT

  • amack43
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2010
      I have great hopes that one day Dr. Mills software will be used in such a way. One of ther interesting things about biological function is that almost all biochemical reactions eventually cause their own inhibition via feedback cicuits. If they didn't we couldn't exist. Many diseases are caused by biochemical loops where for whatever reason (genetics, infection, etc) a particular chemical pathway is amplified rather than diminished.

      One of the downsides of current treatments is that pharmaceuticals focus narrowly on a single mechanism of action to soley address their target. Since many pathways in the body use the same chemical for different functions via different receptors this results in terrible side effects. Another drawback is giving a single drug repeatedly often eventually shut down its effectiveness.

      Ideally you would create a software program that graphically models all chemical interations at the same time, taking into account the circadian clock, the more recently discovered liver clock (apparently eating anything (and I assume drinking anything other than water) between 8pm and 8am triggers unhealthy genetic changes!), take into account the dynamic changes of the genome in response to these and chemical signals from ingested food, bacterial and viral proteins, air pollutants, signals neighbouring cells, chemicals in the plasma, health of the major organs and glands and their proper function, the effects of exercise, stress chemicals etc. - a huge job to incorporate it all but that's what computers are for.

      Although sometimes we focus too much on drugs then actually looking at what is going on. Some of you would be aware of the recent controversy of multiple sclerosis and how a vascular surgeon whose wife had the disease is claiming it is a blocked vein disorder that can be cured by unblocking the major veins of the neck that drain the brain. His wife has been free of attacks for several years now after he performed an angioplasty. Another doctor in Isreal is claiming to cure benign prostatic hyperplasia and early prostate cancer ironically by blocking off veins with age related valve failure that causes localised gravity driven high blood pressure in the prostate that traps testosterone rich blood 100 times greater than in plasma and causes the disease and drives cancer development and growth. It's early days and hopefully these claims will be proven by others but it's two examples of thinking outside the box to provide a solution to two terrible diseases.

      The point I'm making here is that physics must be fully integrated into medicine- all aspects of physics. At the moment we have a Quantum Mechanical type solution to medicine- it kinda works but it kinda doesn't. We spend years wasting time in double blind animal studies that may or may not have any relevance to humans. If it sorta works in animals we spend years and billions force feeding these drugs to people and determining their effectiveness not based on cures but on statistical ratios of whether there is a slightly better result than a sugar pill or existing treatment or whether more live than die. And then it might be years after it is licensed for use before side effects are picked up that kill a large number of people, usually by a different mechanism than that caused by the disease the drug was meant to stop in the first place.

      My biostatistician friends say I am naive- that I cannot comprehend the hideous complexity that requires these slow clinical trials with ethical safeguards and multi stage expensive progression. I disagree. A healthy human body is able to regulate itself perfectly. How many active chemicals exist in the body, those that aren't inactive or excreted? Even if there were tens of millions, once Millsian models each one this is child's play to a high performance home pc- a modern GPU can do a trillion operations a second.

      I appreciate Millsian is a work in progress. Perhaps a starting point could be this- the US pubmed database has 19 million papers in its database. Volunteers could reduce the relevant parts of these papers to their biochemical discoveries, such as biochem feedback circuits, interactions and post these to Millsian in a prescribed form. Millsian double checks the results, compares them to other volunteers results for accuracy, creates a 3-D moleculer interaction of the circuit for its reference, checks that for consistency and then automatically sorts the results into a central program that builds a scalable computer model of the human body, perhaps using a criminal intelligence relational database.

      antony