Re: Little Suggestion

  • nihil_est_quod
    Message 1 of 867 , Mar 2, 2000
      This is an incredulous statement: "...tell me
      about one Existentialist figure who indeed practiced
      quietism?" They all except Sartre (he said Existentialism is
      not quietism) who has been the only published
      "Existential" philosopher who has lived his life existentially.
      All before him, all runafters have from the
      classroom, from the published word talked the existentialist
      talk, but could not walk the existentialist walk. To
      say, topple the empire and set out to topple the
      empire are two vastly different things.<br><br>It is so
      American to say words, simple good for nothing words are
      indeed an affirmative action.<br><br>That absurd
      statement has lead me to be haunted unremittingly by the
      question: Why are so many people who does have an iota of
      existentialism in their veins, always find their way to
      Existentialism? I know it is the combination of its sweet
      language and someone in a bit of sorrow thinking they have
      found kith and kin, only to discover later they have
      found their monstrous undoing. This has created two
      classes of "existentialist" one, the classroom and
      leisure existentialist, second, the grunt of
      existentialism. <br><br>The first class set in classrooms
      listening to lectures by overpraised Recitalists, taking
      copious notes, writing wordy term papers and "discussing"
      it on the campus lawn which consist solely of
      regurgitations. After receiving a passing mark, they believe they
      understand Existentialism, then set out in to the world
      misrepresenting it. The leisure Existentialists read a few novels
      or works of Existential philosophy, they too
      mistakenly believe they understand it, set out in to the
      world misrepresenting it. Both groups because they feel
      a bit of loneliness, a bit of hopelessness, a bit
      of powerlessness, a bit of collectivelessness they
      assume that that little bout qualify them as
      Existentialists. They run around in the world proclaiming with
      their morose expressions, using their morose terms,
      "See how I suffer, this makes me an Existentialist."
      Poppycock! But, sooner or later they get what they are owned
      - annihilation. If this is not so, ask Kierkegaard
      who it sent quaking and snivelling to God. If this is
      not so, ask Nietzsche (the greatest of all liars) who
      it sent quaking and snivelling to a black madness.
      If this is not so, ask Heidegger who it sent quaking
      and snivelling to "...I am important too.." he died
      in this state of mind. If this is not so, ask Camus
      (Monsieur It Is All Absurd) who it sent quaking and
      snivelling to God who he had denied all his life until he
      became close to the grave. If this is not so, ask du
      Beauviore (Sartre's plaything) who sent it sent quaking and
      snivelling to a spinsterhood, senile and alone unto death.
      Read the latest postings by the runafters, they too
      are being sent quaking and snivelling to Mysticsm.
      This is what Existentialism does to the quietist
      (classroom and leisure) who make up almost all of the
      existential population.<br><br>Sent quaking and snivelling
      because they cannot look it directly in the eyes, without
      averting their face away in fright. They lack the iron
      fortitude to accept Existentialism as it is cold,
      unremorseful, providing or promising no answers, so they are
      sent quaking and snivelling to sects: Christain,
      Atheist, Agnostic, now Mystical Existentialism...
    • zooink
      Message 867 of 867 , Jun 26, 2000
        Hey, that's cool. It ain't my cup of tea, but as long as the sky ain't falling, nothing is wrong with looking up.