Re: states of consciousness

  • nanzo2000
    Message 1 of 867 , Feb 5 10:46 AM
      You're asking L.M. and me a very good and crucial
      question, Monica! I will give you my own personal opinion
      on the anthropological and cultural differences in
      mystical consciousness in my next post.<br><br>But first
      though, I do not know if you are aware of the works of
      various scholars, scientists and organizations who are
      devoting research in the field of "consciousness studies."
      There have been essays and scholarly papers written
      dealing with some of the issues you and others have
      raised in these posts. I do not know if you have the
      time to do a lot of web browsing, but here are a
      couple of web pages that I think will give you food for
      thought, if you have not run across them:<br><br>CENTER
      FOR INTEGRAL
      relating to science, mathematics, philosophy,
      transpersonal psychology, religion, and mysticism. Obviously,
      as the name of the center implies, the people
      running this web page seek an "integral" approach - they
      are sympathetic to mysticism and know people who have
      experienced higher states of consciousness. You'll be able to
      find some of their personal accounts among the links,
      if you have the time to browse though
      them.<br><br>Here is an example of one of the links you will find
      in the above web page:<br><br>JOURNAL OF
      CONSCIOUSNESS
      neurobiology and higher consciousness. I'm sure the articles
      you'll find in this website touch upon issues in your
      own field of academic study.<br><br>Finally, and this
      relates to the question you are asking L.M. and me, I
      would recommend the book both L.M. and I recommended to
      Wordist: Robert K.C. Forman's "The Problem of Pure
      Consciousness." This book contains a series of essays dealing
      with just the very thing you're asking L.M. and me.
      The introduction in the back cover of this book
      says:<br><br>"Are mystical experiences formed by the mystic's
      cultural background and concepts, as "constructivists"
      maintain, or do mystics sometimes transcend language,
      belief, and cultural conditioned expectations? Do
      mystical experiences differ throughout the various
      religious traditions as the "pluralists" contend, or are
      they somehow ecumenical? The contributors to this
      collection scrutinize a common mystical experience, the
      "pure consciousness event" - the experience of being
      awake but devoid of intentional content - in order to
      answer these questions. Through the use of historical
      Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, and Jewish mystical
      writings, as well as those of modern mystics, the
      contributors reveal the inconsistencies, and inadequacies of
      curent models, and make sighificant strides towards
      developing new models for the undestanding fo the mystical
      phenomenon in particular and human experience in
      general."<br><br>From what I've read in this book, the contributors
      take issue with the "mystical contructivism" of Steven
      T. Katz, who contends that mystical experience does
      not escape the influence of culture and belief. Katz
      says there are no "pure mediated experiences" as
      opposed to those scholars saying that there is a "pure
      consciousness" which is unmediated by culture. So you can see,
      Monica, that there are different schools of thought on
      this matter. I place myself among those of the "pure
      consciousness" school. I'll try to explain my view better in the
      this book. You might want to find the book there and
      read the reviews.<br><br>By the way, I'll look forward
      to seeing the paper you wrote and which you plan to
      post on your web site. Please post the web address
      here when you have posted it on the web.
    • zooink
      Message 867 of 867 , Jun 26, 2000
        Hey, that's cool. It ain't my cup of tea, but as long as the sky ain't falling, nothing is wrong with looking up.