'The Outsider'.....(looking in)

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
      "Ever since I was twelve, I had been preoccupied
      with the question of the meaning of human existence,
      and whether all human values are not pure self-
      delusion. No doubt this feeling was intensified by
      my dislike of the vain, brainless, cowlike drifting
      of the people around me. My main interest was in
      science - particularly atomic physics - so that I
      was obsessed by the idea that there must be a
      scientific method for investigating this question
      of human existence."

      (Postscript to 'The Outsider' by Colin Wilson - 1967)

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2007
        'Outsider-ishness' is not a symptom of some strange
        disease, but is a sign that his healthy soul was
        being suffocated in a world of trivial, shallow,
        corrupted fools. (Colin Wilson - 'The Outsider')

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2007
          "The 'Outsider' sees too much and too deeply....
          ...Because they have glimpsed another, deeper
          dimension to life, they are not satisfied to be
          automatons. They are driven to self-discovery,
          even self-inquisition. They put themselves to
          tests of imagination and action that awe more
          'sensible' people. "I doubt whether such pain
          improves us," Nietzsche said, "but I know it
          deepens us." And Rilke wrote, "May I, emerging
          at last from this terrible insight, burst into
          jubilant praise."

          "And so long as you haven't experienced this:
          to die and so to grow, you are only a troubled
          quest on this dark earth." (Goethe)

          (Preface to 'The Outsider' by Marilyn Fergusion - 1981)

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
            This book has been a study chiefly in men who
            'wrecked' for different reasons, men who cared
            too much about something or other, and cracked
            under the strain.....What we cannot have failed
            to notice is that the greatest men have been
            those who were most intensely concerned about
            the Outsider problems, and the question of how
            not to wreck. The Outsider must keep asking the
            question: Why? Why are most men failures? Why
            do Outsiders tend to wreck? We lack the
            'concept of an enemy': that is the trouble. We
            talk vaguely of 'the Outsiders's problems', and
            we even get around to defining them in terms
            of 'freedom', 'personality', but that only leads
            us into metaphysical discussions about meaning.
            What we haven't yet got around to is a bare
            statement: 'This' is where the 'Outsider' is
            going, and 'this' is where he often falls over,
            breaking his neck! That is what we need, to
            sort out some of the threads we have unravelled
            in previous chapters: a statement of destination
            and a concept of an enemy (or of an 'obstacle',
            if the word fits the metaphor better).

            (From 'The Outsider' by Colin Wilson)