Re: [Soar Like An Eagle 2] To be a CHRISTIAN.....

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 30, 2007
      Hi Jose,

      It's been said down through the ages that
      with God all things are possible.

      Perhaps for the sake of the 'Atheist' and/or
      the 'Agnostic' it could be said that with a
      quiet mind all things are possible.

      Therefore we could equate God with the quiet
      (or still, rather than being caught up in the
      movement of thought) mind and consider them
      one and the same thing.

      Perhaps there are no universal truths, but
      there are indeed truths. One of them, and from
      my own personal experience, being that the way
      out of living a mediocre life of quiet desperation,
      as do the vast multitude, is to conscientiously,
      unendingly, and at all costs embark upon the
      journey of becoming authentically fully human
      and fully alive.

      And I feel that all 'movements' that have this
      very end foremost in mind are valid.

      Bob M.

      P. S. Perhaps we could go on to say then that
      God, Love, Truth, and the Quiet Mind are all
      one and the same thing.

      --- In Soar_Like_An_Eagle_2@yahoogroups.com, Jose Teran
      <aarseth_170@...> wrote:

      > Well i understand the lyrics of the song and i said i agreed with
      them, the only thing i said is i dont like the band. And regarding
      the thing you said that love that connects to people always comes
      from god, that depends on your beliefs.

      > I suppose you dont think atheists are in a lower spiritual level
      and therefore wont have a chance of finding what you say is true
      love, am i right?

      > The way we see life makes us different, and i think thats a
      really important statement for existentialism, there are no universal
      truths.

      > If this is not existentialism for you, tell whats your personal
      meaning of this philosophical movement.

      > Jose

    • Bob Michael
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 15, 2008
        "Unless a man be born again..." - this was the
        keynote of Gurdjieff's science, his works, his
        effort, his example. For this reason he had no
        patience with the man who merely "philosophizes";
        his interest was in the man who "CAN DO."
        [Margaret Anderson - 'The Unknown Gurdjieff']

        --- In Soar_Like_An_Eagle_2@yahoogroups.com, "Bob M."
        <new_trail_blazer@...> wrote:

        > "First of all it is necessary to understand that a
        > Christian is not a man who calls himself a Christian
        > or whom others call a Christian. A Christian is one
        > who lives in accordance with Christ's precepts. Such
        > as we are we cannot be Christians. In order to be
        > Christians we must be able 'to do.' We cannot do;
        > with us everything 'happens.' Christ says: 'Love your
        > enemies,' but how can we love our enemies when we
        > cannot even love our friends? Sometimes 'it loves'
        > and sometimes 'it does not love.' Such as we are we
        > cannot even really desire to be Christians because,
        > again, sometimes 'it desires' and sometimes 'it
        > does not desire.' And one and the same thing cannot
        > be desired for long, because suddenly, instead of
        > desiring to be a Christian, a man remembers a very
        > good but very expensive carpet that he has seen in a
        > shop. And instead of wishing to be a Christian he
        > begins to think how he can manage to buy this carpet,
        > forgetting all about Christianity. Or if somebody
        > else does not believe what a wonderful Christian he
        > is, he will be ready to eat him alive or to roast
        > him on hot coals. In order to be a good Christian
        > one must be. To be means to be master of oneself.
        > If a man is not his own master he has nothing and
        > can have nothing. And he cannot be a Christian. He
        > is simply a machine, an automaton. A machine cannot
        > be a Christian. Think for yourselves, is it possible
        > for a motorcar or a typewriter or a gramophone to be
        > Christian? They are simply things which are controlled
        > by chance. They are not responsible. They are machines.
        > To be a Christian means to be responsible.
        > Responsibility comes later when a man even partially
        > ceases to be a machine, and begins in fact, and not
        > only inwords, to desire to be a Christian."
        >
        > G. I. Gurdjieff
        >
        > http://www.bardic-press.com/thomas/fourthway.htm
        >
        > Bob M.

      • Bob Michael
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 18, 2008
          "To attain the 'Sanctum Regnum', in other words
          the knowledge and power of the Magi, there are
          four indispensable conditions - an intelligence
          illuminated by study, an intrepidity which nothing
          can check, a will which can not be broken, and a
          prudence which nothing can corrupt and nothing
          intoxicate. To KNOW, to DARE, to WILL, to keep
          SILENT, - such are the four words of the Magus."

          [Eliphas Levi - 'Transcendental Magic']

          Bob M.
        • Bob Michael
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 18, 2008
            "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs,
            neither cast ye your pearls before swine,
            lest they trample them under their feet,
            and turn again and rend you." [Matt 7:6]

            "Here Jesus speaks of the necessity for guarding
            the ideas of esotericism and not giving them
            forth indiscriminately, for there are people to
            whom these ideas in their essence are inaccessible,
            who, in so far as they can grasp them, will
            distort them, make wrong use of them and turn
            against those who are trying to give them
            these ideas."

            [Ouspensky - 'A New Model of The Universe']