'The Natural State'.....

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
      Q: "You talk of a state that is entirely natural to man.
      I want to know if that natural state can be acquired by
      effort - if it can be acquired at all - or is it simply
      a chance occurrence?"

      UG: "When I use the term `natural state' it is not a
      synonym for `enlightenment', `freedom', or `God-
      realization', and so forth. Not at all. When the
      totality of mankind's knowledge and experience loses
      its stranglehold on the body - the physical organism -
      then the body is allowed to function in its own
      harmonious way. Your natural state is a biological,
      neurological, and physical state.....Anyway, the
      problem lies in our psyche. We function in a thought
      -sphere, and not in our biology. The separative
      thought structure, which is the totality of man's
      thoughts, feelings, experiences, and so on - what
      we call psyche or soul or self - is creating the
      disturbance. That is what is responsible for our
      misery; that's what continues the battle that is
      going on there [in the human being] all the time.
      This interloper, the thought sphere, has created
      your entire value system. The body is not in the
      least interested in values, much less a value system.
      It is only concerned with intelligent moment-to-
      moment survival, and nothing else. Spiritual `values'
      have no meaning to it. When, through some miracle or
      chance you are freed from the hold of thought and
      culture, you are left with the body's natural
      functions, and nothing else. It then functions without
      the interference of thought. Unfortunately, the
      servant, which is the thought structure that is there,
      has taken possession of the house. But he can no longer
      control and run the household. So he must be dislodged.
      It is in this sense that I use the term `natural state',
      without any connotation of spirituality or
      enlightenment."

      (U. G. Krishnamurti - 'No Way Out')

      http://www.ugkrishnamurti.net/

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
        "The natural state is not the state of a
        self-realized, God-realized man. It is not
        a thing to be achieved or attained. It is
        not a thing to be willed into existence.
        This state is just the functional activity
        of life. By 'life' I do not mean something
        abstract. IT IS THE LIFE OF THE SENSES,
        FUNCTIONING NATURALLY WITHOUT THE INTERFERENCE
        OF THOUGHT. Thought is an interloper, which
        thrusts itself into the affairs of the senses.
        It has a profit motive. Thought directs the
        activity of the senses to get something out
        of them, and uses them to give continuity to
        itself"

        (U. G. Krishnamurti - 'The Mystique of Enlightenment')

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2007
          "What makes one person come into his natural
          state, and not another? I don't know. Perhaps
          it's written in the cells. It is acausal. It
          is not an act of violition on your part. You
          can't bring it about. There is absolutely
          nothing you can do. You can distrust any man
          who tells you how he got into this state. One
          thing you can be sure of is that he cannot
          possibly know himself, and cannot possibly
          communicate it to you. There is a built-in
          triggering mechanism in the body. If the
          experiencing structure of thought happens to
          let go, the other thing will take over in
          its own way. The functioning of the body will
          be a totally different functioning, without
          the interference of thought, except when it
          is necessary to communicate with somebody.
          To put it in the boxing phrase, you have to
          'throw in the towel', be totally helpless.
          No one can help you, and you can not help
          yourself."

          (U. G. Krishnamurti - 'The Mystique Of Enlightenment')

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2007
            "A person who lets life act in its own way
            without the interference of thought has no
            self to defend. What need will he have to
            lie or cheat or pretend or to commit any
            other act that his society considers immoral?"

            (U. G. Krishnamurti - 'The Mystique Of Enlightenment')