"I was LOVED, therefore I AM".....

    Message 1 of 5 , May 24 9:03 AM
      "Where does my story, or yours, begin? When I trace the
      roots of my being, at what point do I distinguish between
      'my' self and the soil in which I was planted? When can I
      first say 'I am'?.....I could begin with the birth of self-
      consciousness. One day, when I was nine years old, I was
      walking down Court Street in Maryville, Tennessee. Near
      the bottom of the hill, fifteen feet from an apple tree,
      on a part of the sidewalk that was smooth enough for skating,
      I knew suddenly and with blinding clarity that I was
      different than my parents, my brothers and sisters, and
      my playmates. Self-consciousness descended on me like a hawk.
      In a sense, I might date the origin of my self from this
      moment.....But my consciousess was swaddled in a cradle made
      by nature and culture long before I knew myself to be a
      person apart from others. I was neither father, mother, nor
      architect of my own being. No self-made man. I grew like a
      seed in humus that was composted of the residue of
      generations. A nexus of communication of the living and
      the dead wove the tissue of my mind and body. My
      individuality was born from a web of life too intricate
      to unravel. Thinking back on the context that created me,
      I can only conclude that I must start my story with this
      affirmation: I was loved; therefore I am. As Martin Buber
      put it, "In the beginning was relationship"."
      (Sam Keen - 'The Passionate Life: Stages of Loving')