Re: 'Only The SENSITIVE Can Face The Actual'.....

  • peterquinnn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2006
      Excellent lines from Krishnmurti, Bob. But is he correct when he says
      that sesnitivity is not the result of experience and thought? I think
      it can sometimes be the result of these things. There can be dangers
      in generalizing at times. Awareness can swell out where it influences
      our behaviour. This is what the possiblility of change is all about.
      Peter
      --- In Soar_Like_An_Eagle_2@yahoogroups.com, "Bob M."
      <new_trail_blazer@...> wrote:

      > Sensitivity is wholly different from refinement; sensitivity is an
      > integral state, refinement is always partial. There is no partial
      > sensitivity, either it is the state of one's whole being, total
      > consciousness or it is not there at all. It is not to be gathered
      bit
      > by bit; it cannot be cultivated; it is not the result of experience
      > and thought, it is not a state of emotionalism. It has the quality
      of
      > precision, no overtones of romanticism and fancy. *Only the
      sensitive
      > can face the actual*, without escaping into all kinds of
      conclusions,
      > opinions, and evaluations. Only the sensitive can be alone and this
      > aloneness is destructive. This sensitivity is stripped of all
      > pleasure and so it has the austerity, not of desire and will but of
      > seeing and understanding. There is pleasure in refinement; it has
      > do with education, culture, environment. The way of refinement is
      > endless; it is the outcome of choice, conflict, and pain and there
      is
      > always the chooser, the one who refines, the censor. And so there
      is
      > always conflict and contradiction and pain. Refinement leads to
      > isolation, self-enclosing aloofness, the separation which intellect
      > and knowledge breed. Refinement is self-centered activity, however
      > enlightened aesthetically and morally. There is great satisfaction
      in
      > the refining process but no joy of depth; it is superficial and
      > petty, without great significance. Sensitivity and refinement are
      two
      > different things; one leads to isolating and the other to
      LIFE
      > THAT HAS NO END. (J. Krishnamurti - 'Krishnamurti's Notebook' Oct.
      25)

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2006
        Not exactly Peter. Good as the old boy was, as time went on he seemed
        to have lost the capacity for ongoing and unending self-critical
        introspection, understanding, refinement, and change.

        Sensitivity (i.e. a finely-formed mind, heart, and sensate system) is
        essentially a product of good and loving nurture (experience-
        observation-feeling-reflection/thought) in the critical formative
        years. And this 'proper' nurture has become a considerably rare
        thing, especially in these last days. Jesus should be here to see
        just how terribly cold the 'love of the many' has waxed. And global
        warming will be of no help here either. Save perhaps for the supra-
        heat of nuclear holocaust when the abomination that maketh desolate
        finally takes place.

        Real and therefore radical 'change' is prompted by pain, and only the
        *few* more finely-formed and thereby sensitively-souled can truly
        experience (deeply feel) the pain of not living true to their own
        authentic self-nature and then hopefully acting on it. That is if
        they don't numb their senses chemically or by madly chasing after
        worldly schemes and dreams. The *many* who are unfortunately not so
        finely-formed and sensitive will experience little or no real pain
        from their ways of error and inauthentic being. Hence no real change
        can or will ever occur in them. Of course they have no solid
        foundation (soul-sensitivity) to fall back upon and rebuild on
        either. In K's better days he called these kinds the 'weak' and
        the 'momentarily discontented'. The latter term I especially like.
        Never-the-less, in these final days it still remains, as it was said
        long ago, that 'many are called - but few are chosen'. And it too
        remains my view that even the very best of the 'chosen few' are
        having an awfully tough time of 'breaking through' (or rising above
        it all) in this present cold, dark, robotic, and loveless age.

        'What is the greatest thing a man can experience? It is the hour of
        great self-contempt. The hour in which your happiness becomes
        loathsome to you, and so also your reason and virtue.' (Nietzsche's
        Zarathustra)

        'If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and
        wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life
        also, he cannot be my disciple." (J.C.)

        No pain - no gain (change), no sensitivity (conscience - 'feel' for
        things) - no pain.

        And much like the O.T. Preacher, I too have and continue to see the
        many cold-hearted and desensitized and thus wicked men and
        women 'prolonging their lives in their wickedness'. Many of them held
        in high-esteem by the multitude. Where on earth is God?

        --- In Soar_Like_An_Eagle_2@yahoogroups.com, peterquinnn