Has Mr. Nietzsche still no readers.....with ears to hear?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      "This book (The AntiChrist) belongs to the most rare of men. Perhaps
      not one of them is yet alive. It is possible that they may be among
      those who understand my "Zarathustra": how could I confound myself
      with those who are now sprouting ears?--First the day after tomorrow
      must come for me. Some men are born posthumously."

      "The conditions under which any one understands me, and necessarily
      understands me--I know them only too well. Even to endure my
      seriousness, my passion, he must carry intellectual integrity to the
      verge of hardness. He must be accustomed to living on mountain tops--
      and to looking upon the wretched gabble of politics and nationalism
      as beneath him. He must have become indifferent; he must never ask of
      the truth whether it brings profit to him or a fatality to him... He
      must have an inclination, born of strength, for questions that no one
      has the courage for; the courage for the forbidden; predestination
      for the labyrinth. The experience of seven solitudes. New ears for
      new music. New eyes for what is most distant. A new conscience for
      truths that have hitherto remained unheard. And the will to economize
      in the grand manner--to hold together his strength, his
      enthusiasm...Reverence for self; love of self; absolute freedom of
      self."

      "Very well, then! of that sort only are my readers, my true readers,
      my readers foreordained: of what account are the rest?--The rest are
      merely humanity.--One must make one's self superior to humanity, in
      power, in loftiness of soul,--in contempt."

      Friedrich W. Nietzsche (Preface to 'The Antichrist')