Re: [The Existential Society] What's the holdup Mr. Twain?

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
      Pardon me for asking, but this group isn't just about religion, is it? I mean "existentialism" is famous for its atheistic writers. And while I do not want to rain on anyone's parade, I really have no patience for evangelists. Let me know.

      Will
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
        I would like to think it's about becoming fully human, fully alive,
        and fully 'selfless' and incorporating and utilizing whatever it
        takes to achieve this great goal.

        And so far as the age old atheist/theist monkey-business goes I would
        submit the following:

        "Most atheists are just as egotistical as religious folks. They might
        have discarded the crude delusion that is the Christian God, but very
        rarely do they dig any deeper than this and discard the underlying
        egotism that leads people to worship the Christian God in the first
        place. The Christian God is just one of the many branches which grow
        out of the trunk of egotism. After having hacked off this rotting
        branch, most atheists are more than happy to spend the rest of their
        lives nurturing other branches - e.g. that of family, career, sex,
        women, possessions, sport, etc - that is to say, anything that can
        create an illusion of happiness, meaning and security for their egos,
        just as the belief in the Christian God once may have provided these
        things. Atheists rarely ever attempt to root out the entire tree from
        their mind." A. U.

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
          Yeah, well... The group name is The Existential Society, isn't it? Not you being the arbiter of faith.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
            Yes that is correct my friend. And yet I feel I'm still functioning
            well within the founding bounds and principles here. However there just
            may be some changes upcoming. Thanks for your input.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
              Why keep me guessing?