What's the holdup Mr. Twain?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
      "I am the only man living who understands human nature; God has put me
      in charge of this branch office; when I retire there will be no one to
      take my place. I shall keep on doing my duty, for when I get over on
      the other side, I shall use my influence to have the human race drowned
      again, and this time drowned good, no omissions, no Ark." (Mark Twain)

      Bob M.
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
        Pardon me for asking, but this group isn't just about religion, is it? I mean "existentialism" is famous for its atheistic writers. And while I do not want to rain on anyone's parade, I really have no patience for evangelists. Let me know.

        Will

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
          I would like to think it's about becoming fully human, fully alive,
          and fully 'selfless' and incorporating and utilizing whatever it
          takes to achieve this great goal.

          And so far as the age old atheist/theist monkey-business goes I would
          submit the following:

          "Most atheists are just as egotistical as religious folks. They might
          have discarded the crude delusion that is the Christian God, but very
          rarely do they dig any deeper than this and discard the underlying
          egotism that leads people to worship the Christian God in the first
          place. The Christian God is just one of the many branches which grow
          out of the trunk of egotism. After having hacked off this rotting
          branch, most atheists are more than happy to spend the rest of their
          lives nurturing other branches - e.g. that of family, career, sex,
          women, possessions, sport, etc - that is to say, anything that can
          create an illusion of happiness, meaning and security for their egos,
          just as the belief in the Christian God once may have provided these
          things. Atheists rarely ever attempt to root out the entire tree from
          their mind." A. U.

        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
            Yeah, well... The group name is The Existential Society, isn't it? Not you being the arbiter of faith.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
              Yes that is correct my friend. And yet I feel I'm still functioning
              well within the founding bounds and principles here. However there just
              may be some changes upcoming. Thanks for your input.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 25, 2006
                Why keep me guessing?