Re: [The Existential Society] The Chains of Attachment.....

  • deb1785@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2006
      Man is born attached -- to the world.
      We are all one. It is in growing up, learning behaviors and beliefs that we
      separate and as evidenced in your quotes, seek that attachment we had lost. We
      seek to reattach for our entire lives. And I believe what Christ was speaking
      of (in my Bible it doesn't use the word, 'hate', but 'leave') was being
      attached to a greater good, a family of all mankind. You must denounce, give up the
      material things to truly live as one with all man. And that is exactly what
      the disciplines did later in the early Christian communities where they shared
      everything. They realized that we are all one, we need to clothe, feed others
      to feed and clothe ourselves. Wasn't that the message? So is it that we are all
      alone, or that we are all one, but live as if we are alone?

      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2006
        While Christ admonished us to love both our friends (neighbors) and
        our enemies (which I well suppose would also include his "ravening
        wolves in sheeps clothing"), I really don't think he had in mind
        feeding the latter or even some of our neighbors or being all that
        close to them all that much either.

        I have no problem with the word 'hate' as used by Christ. I also put
        it into another J.C. and paralleling Nietzschian framework as follows
        and as has been too my experience:

        "What is the greatest thing a man can experience? It is the hour of
        great 'self'-contempt." Nietzsche

        "He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life
        in this world shall keep it unto life eternal." J.C.

        In any case I find that Christ came that we ('chosen [sensitive]
        few') may have (find/be granted) life more abundantly.

        We should therefore be keenly watchful for those among us who are
        skillful at twisting (and watering-down or 'safely' ignoring) his and
        other's words in order to keep us in chains or at their own beck and
        call.

        Bob M.

        P.S. Seems here that for every 100 mere Jesus believing Christians,
        there's but one or two who are sincerely searching for that glorious
        Christ within themselves. Actually for that matter I feel not too
        many anywhere are really built for this tremendous 'self'-
        destroying/overcoming adventure and the genuine bursting forth of
        that Inner Light and Fullness of Being!

        Indeed with God a man is never really alone. But for a woman without
        a good, loving (Godly) man in her life, it isn't all that easy.
        Especially in these last dark days.