Where on earth are his 'true readers'?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2006
      This book belongs to the most rare of men. Perhaps not one of them is
      yet alive. It is possible that they may be among those who understand
      my "Zarathustra": how could I confound myself with those who are now
      sprouting ears?--First the day after tomorrow must come for me. Some
      men are born posthumously.

      The conditions under which any one understands me, and necessarily
      understands me--I know them only too well. Even to endure my
      seriousness, my passion, he must carry intellectual integrity to the
      verge of hardness. He must be accustomed to living on mountain tops--
      and to looking upon the wretched gabble of politics and nationalism
      as beneath him. He must have become indifferent; he must never ask of
      the truth whether it brings profit to him or a fatality to him... He
      must have an inclination, born of strength, for questions that no one
      has the courage for; the courage for the forbidden; predestination
      for the labyrinth. The experience of seven solitudes. New ears for
      new music. New eyes for what is most distant. A new conscience for
      truths that have hitherto remained unheard. And the will to economize
      in the grand manner--to hold together his strength, his
      enthusiasm...Reverence for self; love of self; absolute freedom of
      self.....

      Very well, then! of that sort only are my readers, my true readers,
      my readers foreordained: of what account are the rest?--The rest are
      merely humanity.--One must make one's self superior to humanity, in
      power, in loftiness of soul,--in contempt.

      Nietzsche (preface to 'The Antichrist')

      http://www.fns.org.uk/ac.htm