Re: Morality

  • icybrethovhecate
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
      Most morality is based on the principle "do unto others as you would
      have them do unto you", so harming another animal for no reason is
      wrong because you would not like them to take the same action against
      your self. If I have rights then you have rights. When it comes to
      situations of life and death, well I feel its okay break the rules,
      all great cultures did this and its thanks to this that we have
      America today.

      --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Reenstjerna"
      <frreenst@...> wrote:

      > The question arises: how do different individuals reconcile
      > conflicting ideas of heightened power?
      >
      > Perhaps 'morality' is the awareness of an individual who is
      > functioning within a community. Even an individual alone, is
      > nevertheless part of a natural community and--if they choose to live
      > morally by sustainable lifestyle--make that choice for morality
      > recognizing their relationship to the community of nature.
      >
      > Now that I think about it, this is like the question about a tree
      > falling in the forest--does it make sound, if no one is there to
      hear it?

      > Can an individual be truly 'moral' living alone and outside of a
      > community?
      >

      > Fred Reenstjerna
      > Oregon
      > USA
      >
      > --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, "icybrethovhecate"
      > <icybrethovhecate@> wrote:
      > >
      > > What is morality? And where does it stem from? In my opinion
      morality
      > > comes from the self. Like Nietzsche I can say "What is good?
      Whatever
      > > heightens the feeling of power in man, the will to power, power
      >
      > itself.
      > > What is bad? Whatever is born of weakness."

    • icybrethovhecate
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24, 2006
        I in no way mean to make light of the atrocities commited against the
        Native Americans, and perhaps we could of done things more
        peacefully. But the fact is that atrocities have always had a way of
        turning out good even for the victims, take slavery for instance.