Misery Loves Company.....

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2006
      "The sick are the greatest danger for the well. The weaker, not the
      stronger, are the strong's undoing. It is not fear of our fellow-man,
      which we should wish to see diminished; for fear rouses those who are
      strong to become terrible in turn themselves, and preserves the hard-
      earned and successful type of humanity. What is to be dreaded by us
      more than any other doom is not fear, but rather the great disgust,
      not fear, but rather the great pity - disgust and pity for our human
      fellows.....The morbid are our greatest peril - not the 'bad' men,
      not the predatory beings. Those born wrong, the miscarried, the
      broken - they it is, the weakest, who are undermining the vitality of
      the race, poisoning our trust in life, and putting humanity in
      question. Every look of them is a sigh, - 'Would I were something
      other! I am sick and tired of what I am.' In this swamp soil of self-
      contempt, every poisonous weed flourishes, and all so small, so
      secret, so dishonest, and so sweetly rotten. Here swarm the worms of
      sensitiveness and resentment; here the air smells odious with
      secrecy, with what is not to be acknowledged; here is woven endlessly
      the net of the meanest of conspiracies, the conspiracy of those who
      suffer against those who succeed and are victorious; here the very
      aspect of the victorious is hated - as if health, success, strength,
      pride, and the sense of power were in themselves things vicious, for
      which one ought eventually to make bitter expiation. Oh, how these
      people would themselves like to inflict the expiation, how they
      thirst to be the hangmen! And all the while their duplicity never
      confesses their hatred to be hatred." (Nietzsche - 'GM')