Re: [The Existential Society] That many are called-few are chosen...as per Kierkegaard

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 28, 2005
      From the mountain top of years of rigorously honest self-
      introspection and much change, I find that one can know others
      extremely well, or surely well enough not to be taken in by their
      ways of weakness, foolishness, dependancy, and self-centeredness. And
      especially and surely those in one's close living and social circle.
      And I also think of Paul's comment to the Corinthians here, that the
      spiritual man has insight into EVERYTHING and this bothers and
      baffles the man of the world and he simply doesn't understand him at
      all. So one could say that God or wisdom is a man's guide,
      protection, and deliverer of the goodness in his life, hence the need
      to shape up in earnest in the ways of truth and righteousness,
      beginning first with himself, if he wants to rise up above the herd
      of mediocrity and live out his days with a real sense of purpose and
      genuine happiness. Kierkegaard is pretty well describing my
      experiences and my outlook in the qoutes of his I placed here
      previously, and I feel I understand both him and myself quite
      clearly, although it's been years since I've read him thoroughly.
      Actually I think reading him hot and heavy, along with Schopenhauer
      some 25 years ago helped take me down to the depths of despair, from
      which a radical transforming spiritual or kundalini experience took
      place. Yet I have no need to stay in the bounds of his works alone or
      know him from head to toe either. And likewise and lastly I find that
      most men who walked the path less traveled had exceptional childhoods
      as, in retrospect, both my own and my wife's were. And we still often
      adopted and only child (having had older parents) and she was the
      forth of five girls in her family. And she turned out to be the
      cinderella of them all, as her dad ironically sometimes called her.
      Two of her sisters had early demises, one a suicide at 39, another
      cancer at 48, and the other two remain unfortunately well-locked into
      the mediocrity of the world and it's soul destroying ways. And
      Laing's works I find were helpful to me in regards to the healthy and
      unhealthy workings of sibling rivalry and the family over the years.
      But of course again it all gets back to first understanding oneself,
      along with a willingness to own up to and rise up above all of one's
      failings, weaknesses, and shortcomings in his own life. I want to
      shout here, but instead I'll be cool and just chill.

      Bob M.
      _____________________________________

      --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, "<none>"
      <jamesrovira@y...> wrote:
      > Eh, Bob, talking in detail about where other people are is yet
      another
      > way of avoiding one's own inwardness, and this is part of the point
      > want to make about Kierkegaard. We can never really know where
      other
      > people are because we can only base our opinion upon external
      > observation, and you've already talked about where that gets you...
      >
      > Jim R.
    • <none>
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 28, 2005
        Bob, I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstand Paul. He does believe
        that the believer can judge various -teachings- by the guidance of the
        Holy Spirit, but he never implies that the believer can judge all
        -people- by the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

        There were times when Paul advised his readers to suspend judgment.
        Those who are so certain of their own judgment are deceiving
        themselves: arrogant, self absorbed, and sinning. Paul considered
        himself foolish for speaking highly of himself even when it was for the
        Corinthians' own good; he had his mountaintop experiences, but
        preferred not to make reference to those, but only to what the
        Corinthians saw for themselves in him.

        Know well enough to not be taken in? Absolutely -- but that's only
        accurate when someone's trying to sell you something. Most people
        aren't.

        Jim R.

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 28, 2005
          Well Jim I think it's vain to haggle over interpretations here. Paul,
          as I see it, also toyed with having the mind of God, but seemed to
          have settled for having the mind of Christ. Personally I believe we
          can have the mind of God at least psychologically speaking. Whatever
          the case though, I would surely hope you get to the end of your days
          without having too much wool pulled over your eyes by life and other
          people Jim. But of course this is your call, your business. I think
          it was Shaw that said quite sometime ago that men don't fully mature
          till around 70, if indeed they ever do at all. And my view is that
          this situation surely hasn't improved since then. When I speak to
          others generally I speak a lot of my own past failings and spiritual
          self-overcoming and character rebuilding. This seems to go over
          better, but then there are always those......well.....unfortunates
          who will wail and flail. I do all in all however admire Paul, as
          sooner or later he got thrown out of every town that he spoke in. And
          I like especially his talk to the Ephesians, I think it was , where
          he essentially commanded men to love their wives just as the Lord
          loves them. Indicating here that he had a real grip on the capacity
          to love and fully be.

          I'm curious Jim. Have you ever had any spiritual revelations or
          awakening experiences along the lines of Paul on the road to
          Damascus? Personally I believe that such an experience or experiences
          are absolutely vital if one is to have a complete psychic change or
          go beyond (and stay beyond) the confines of both self-will and good
          and evil. Or one might say to get out of the recursive loop as
          follows:

          P.S. If one roots out ALL traces of his fraudulently conditioned self-
          will, will he then be fully Holy Spirit driven? Or perhaps then both
          fully human and fully divine?
          _____________________________________

          <jamesrovira@y...> wrote:
          > Bob, I'm sorry, but I think you misunderstand Paul. He does believe
          > that the believer can judge various -teachings- by the guidance of
          the
          > Holy Spirit, but he never implies that the believer can judge all
          > -people- by the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
          >
          > There were times when Paul advised his readers to suspend judgment.
          > Those who are so certain of their own judgment are deceiving
          > themselves: arrogant, self absorbed, and sinning. Paul considered
          > himself foolish for speaking highly of himself even when it was for
          the
          > Corinthians' own good; he had his mountaintop experiences, but
          > preferred not to make reference to those, but only to what the
          > Corinthians saw for themselves in him.
          >
          > Know well enough to not be taken in? Absolutely -- but that's only
          > accurate when someone's trying to sell you something. Most people
          > aren't.
          >
          > Jim R.
          .
        • <none>
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 28, 2005
            Yes, I have had such experiences. They are simultaneously immediately
            transformative and incomplete; the self is completely reoriented, but
            habits of thought and of actions need to be changed, and there is no
            substitute but discipline, practice, failure, and trying again.

            I see failure as a more important discipline than success. Cultivation
            of the ability to endure repeated failure, doubly so. I don't think it
            was an accident that all Christ's disciples forsook him and fled. We
            become disillusioned with who we are, then develop realistic
            expectations, then jettison concern for the self altogether. The self
            in this last stage isn't lost, but simply so God-focused that it no
            longer spends most of its time thinking about itself. I see myself as
            being in the second stage: realistic expectations of myself and others,
            but willing to be surprised.

            Have you read Joakim Garff's biography of Kierkegaard? I think you
            would find his self questioning and self interpretation at the end of
            his life illuminating.

            I suspect we approach these issues from within the context of widely
            divergent traditions, and I also suspect -- but I could be wrong --
            your primary orientation (monist) wouldn't view them as divergent,
            while mine would (theist).

            Jim R.
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 28, 2005
              Indeed I've had many, many failures (learning experiences) since my
              first spiritual awakening some 28 years ago. Actually I've had many
              such spiritual experiences as a child which got lost in the shuffle
              of the rat race, but returned again as the fog of self-will lifted.
              And likewise there are also the many successes. And being perfectly
              one with God or the holy spirit is presently a rather common
              experience for both myself and my wife. She's undergone her own dark
              night of the soul experiences some 5-6 years ago. And I'm glad I
              finally had the maturity and understanding to be there for her,
              rather than as previously happened a couple of times, short-
              circuiting them via the mental health and medication route.

              No I haven't read Garff's book on Kierkegaard, but I think my own
              self-questioning probably exceeds his and that so did Nietzsche's.
              This is not to say that I couldn't learn something of value from it
              though. Actually I want to put reading to a rest as I find for myself
              it still can be an escape from or avoidance of doing far more
              spiritually productive things. So far as stages go, I never really
              placed much, if any, importance on them. Actually I think this could
              be dangerous. My path was essentially one of rip, shit, or bust,
              rather than getting caught up in the mechanics of a program or
              the 'law'.

              Again I'm curious Jim. In your journey have you ever been reduced
              materially for a time to having possessed nothing, or let's say
              nearly nothing? Like living for a time on the streets or in a
              mission, after having had a good grip on the so-called American
              Dream? Or should I say here a real hands-on Luke 18: 29-30 experience?

              Bob M.

              P.S. Personally I see many good souls failing to get the gold in life
              simply because they lack the courage to make major life changes,
              including steeping out of all present existing patterns, and going it
              alone at least for a time (the real live action leap of faith). To
              the point of actually spending much time being a child again in order
              to re-establish the feeling of feelings once again. My wife and I
              spent 3 and 6 months living in a friend's remote and secluded
              mountain home some 16-17 years ago. This I feel was very vital for
              authentic self-discovery and re-establishment, especially for her, as
              I only met her a year or so previously and she was considerably shell-
              shocked at the time, as a result of recently leaving a bad 15
              marriage. Orientation you say? How about, by the grace of God, real
              f___in' down to earth Jim?

              <jamesrovira@y...> wrote:
              > Yes, I have had such experiences. They are simultaneously
              immediately
              > transformative and incomplete; the self is completely reoriented,
              but
              > habits of thought and of actions need to be changed, and there is no
              > substitute but discipline, practice, failure, and trying again.
              >
              > I see failure as a more important discipline than success.
              Cultivation
              > of the ability to endure repeated failure, doubly so. I don't
              think it
              > was an accident that all Christ's disciples forsook him and fled.
              We
              > become disillusioned with who we are, then develop realistic
              > expectations, then jettison concern for the self altogether. The
              self
              > in this last stage isn't lost, but simply so God-focused that it no
              > longer spends most of its time thinking about itself. I see myself
              as
              > being in the second stage: realistic expectations of myself and
              others,
              > but willing to be surprised.
              >
              > Have you read Joakim Garff's biography of Kierkegaard? I think you
              > would find his self questioning and self interpretation at the end
              of
              > his life illuminating.
              >
              > I suspect we approach these issues from within the context of widely
              > divergent traditions, and I also suspect -- but I could be wrong --
              > your primary orientation (monist) wouldn't view them as divergent,
              > while mine would (theist).
              >
              > Jim R.
            • <none>
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 29, 2005
                Hmmm...no, I haven't been reduced that far. I have been in
                circumstances where I lived under constant pressure for a long time;
                that's a different kind of discipline. The need for it varies person
                by person. Christ called some rich people to abandon everything
                (reduce themselves to poverty) and follow him. Others weren't required
                to do this.

                I think this isn't a decision we're supposed to make for ourselves.

                Jim R.
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 29, 2005
                  Yes this is so Jim, yet unless one fully surrenders (and repeatedly)
                  even God Himself can't make it for us, even as much as He really,
                  really wants to. Here again, as I clearly see it, that unwillingness to
                  actually 'let go' being the death of a many a good souls. My experience
                  once again being, no break-a-way, no solitude, no genuine
                  breakthrough/transformation. And for those who are at least half-awake,
                  history also makes this quite clear.

                  Bob M.

                  P.S. I must add here that I gave up the bottle (alcohol) back in '77
                  which I feel was also vital for my own transformation and spiritual
                  awakening to occur.

                  > I think this isn't a decision we're supposed to make for ourselves.
                  >
                  > Jim R.
                • <none>
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 29, 2005
                    You know I was speaking of the decision for poverty in that sentence
                    below, though, right? It is perfectly possible for us to choose
                    poverty for ourselves. My comment is that it's not up to us to make
                    that choice: I think God leads us into poverty when he wants that for
                    us, and keeps us out of it when he wants -that- for us. There are
                    ethical concerns -- like legitimate responsibility to one's family --
                    that may mediate whether or not we endure periods of poverty for the
                    sake of spiritual growth.

                    This is spoken from a position of privilege, not a position of one who
                    endures poverty because forced to by circumstance, family or not.
                    Poverty under these conditions is not desireable.

                    We can let go while still having things, you know. That's the hardest
                    kind of letting go to do, of course, and the most easiest to lie to
                    ourselves about accomplishing.

                    But I agree with you about even God not being able to make the decision
                    about letting go of the self for us -- that we need to make it
                    ourselves, but make it with divine assistance. Perhaps it is better to
                    say God is always making the decision for us to let go of ourselves for
                    us, but that it won't be carried out until we agree with the decision.

                    Jim R.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 29, 2005
                      I'm not directing this at you Jim, but when one is given the gift of
                      life and love there comes with it a tremendous sorrow from the clear
                      realization that virtually everyone, everywhere is terribly stuck in
                      the darkness, the lies, and the spirit destroying patterns of the
                      world. And today I was especially troubled again by this awareness. I
                      see no one anywhere breaking through and remain deeply tormented at
                      times as to how to ever be genuinely instrumental in the conversion
                      of others. I've mentioned previously the great number of mistakes and
                      failures I made in the journey, but today I came the realization of
                      the magnitude of the suffering I too experienced over the years.
                      Surely this is all behind me, yet I find much of the suffering, at
                      least in part, stemmed from the fact that there was no encouragement
                      from or examples by anyone around me who were themselves truly
                      growing in the light of Truth. There are times too yet that I look
                      back on my travels and seeing what I've been through that I just want
                      to throw in the towel and write everybody and the whole damn trip
                      itself off and mahamasadhi myself out of here like some others in
                      fact did, they too having reached the point of having had enough of
                      it all. Nietzsche felt it would be extremely difficult for the
                      authentic self-overcomer to hold together his strength and
                      enthusiasm, and he surely was right in this. I said to my wife again
                      today how great it would be if we knew just 2 or 3 other people who
                      themselves clearly 'knew' and were truly growing in the light of the
                      Truth. But this is not yet to be and I continue to seek direction as
                      to how to begin to form an ever increasing body of genuinely realized
                      souls. Those who will let go of all rationalizing of security-seeking
                      and in fact 'let go' absolutely. Both Yogananda and the term self-
                      realization come to mind here. A fine man was he till he had enough.
                      I continue to be loosely involved with the AA fellowship, which was
                      quite helpful to me over the many years, but unfortunately I find it
                      has become pretty much a complete non-event so far as it being a
                      launch pad to a new freedom and a new happiness for anyone as I
                      believe it once truly was. More and more I think some sort of
                      concentrated monastic or classroom type setting is necessary for
                      genuine transformation. I think here of a Gurdjieff type of soul with
                      the 12 step plan in both his hand and his heart.

                      Bob M.

                      P.S. It's surely not all that much fun having the gold in life when
                      everyone around me is satisfied with mere pocket change.

                      <jamesrovira@y...> wrote:
                      > You know I was speaking of the decision for poverty in that sentence
                      > below, though, right? It is perfectly possible for us to choose
                      > poverty for ourselves. My comment is that it's not up to us to make
                      > that choice: I think God leads us into poverty when he wants that
                      for
                      > us, and keeps us out of it when he wants -that- for us. There are
                      > ethical concerns -- like legitimate responsibility to one's family -
                      -
                      > that may mediate whether or not we endure periods of poverty for the
                      > sake of spiritual growth.
                      >
                      > This is spoken from a position of privilege, not a position of one
                      who
                      > endures poverty because forced to by circumstance, family or not.
                      > Poverty under these conditions is not desireable.
                      >
                      > We can let go while still having things, you know. That's the
                      hardest
                      > kind of letting go to do, of course, and the most easiest to lie to
                      > ourselves about accomplishing.
                      >
                      > But I agree with you about even God not being able to make the
                      decision
                      > about letting go of the self for us -- that we need to make it
                      > ourselves, but make it with divine assistance. Perhaps it is
                      better to
                      > say God is always making the decision for us to let go of ourselves
                      for
                      > us, but that it won't be carried out until we agree with the
                      decision.

                      > Jim R.
                      >
                      > --- "Bob M." <new_trail_blazer@y...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Yes this is so Jim, yet unless one fully surrenders (and
                      repeatedly)
                      > > even God Himself can't make it for us, even as much as He really,
                      > > really wants to. Here again, as I clearly see it, that
                      unwillingness
                      > > actually 'let go' being the death of a many a good souls. My
                      > > experience
                      > > once again being, no break-a-way, no solitude, no genuine
                      > > breakthrough/transformation. And for those who are at least
                      > > half-awake,
                      > > history also makes this quite clear.
                      > >
                      > > Bob M.
                      > >
                      > > P.S. I must add here that I gave up the bottle (alcohol) back
                      in '77
                      > > which I feel was also vital for my own transformation and
                      spiritual
                      > > awakening to occur.
                    • <none>
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 30, 2005
                        Bob -- I will always question our ability to really know where most
                        people around us are.

                        Jim R.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 30, 2005
                          That's good Jim. I still do the same myself. There are still some 2+2s
                          here that don't yet add up to precisely 4, but I'm continually
                          observing, weighing, and questioning. Yet I feel I have a pretty keen
                          sense of discernment of who is and isn't capable of breakthrough, or
                          the return to and the redevelopment of love. But of course ultimately
                          as we know, or should know, self-knowledge and understanding is the key
                          and being fully 'Other' or intuitively driven the goal. Have you read
                          much of Nietzsche or Otto Weininger Jim?

                          <jamesrovira@y...> wrote:
                          > Bob -- I will always question our ability to really know where most
                          > people around us are.
                          >
                          > Jim R.
                        • <none>
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 30, 2005
                            I've read Nietzche. He's a first rate writer with second rate ideas.
                            Kierkegaard was better.

                            Haven't read Weiniger, though. Suggestions for a place to start?

                            Jim R.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 30, 2005
                              K over N, you say? Not here. I think N fully searched every last nook
                              and cranny of the abyss and in this regard outdid K. But here again
                              it's been ages since I read K. Did you know Freud felt that Nietzsche
                              had a more deeply penetrating insight into himself than any man who
                              ever lived or perhaps ever would live?

                              Weininger? Some of his biggie 'Sex and Character' should suffice. I
                              think you can find at least a pretty lengthy excerpt of it here
                              online (maybe even the whole thing). I'd suggest you don't have any
                              guns close by when you get into it.

                              Bob M.
                              ___________________________________

                              <jamesrovira@y...> wrote:
                              > I've read Nietzche. He's a first rate writer with second rate
                              ideas.
                              > Kierkegaard was better.
                              >
                              > Haven't read Weiniger, though. Suggestions for a place to start?
                              >
                              > Jim R.
                            • <none>
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 30, 2005
                                There's more to existence than the abyss, Bob. That was Nietzche's
                                problem. Kierkegaard saw the abyss then saw something else beyond it
                                that made it look very pale and small in comparison. Funny that
                                Nietzche never read K...even one of N's contemporaries said to him,
                                "you gotta read this guy."

                                Thanks for the W. link, though. And I'll take your advice :).

                                Jim R.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 30, 2005
                                  But again I find that one must go there (abyss) first in order to
                                  ever truly soar like an eagle. Abyss, kundalini awakening, dark
                                  nights, K or Paul's fear and trembling. Whatever one calls it. My
                                  view? Few are they who've gone fully through it and thereby having
                                  set up permanent residence in the Kingdom ('beyond'?[good & evil?]).
                                  Do you consider yourself to be one Jim?

                                  There'll be little debate or argument from here. Not good to hide or
                                  help another to hide in knowledge or rightness. Life's too short.
                                  Absolute 'self'-knowledge and transparency is the goal, remember? Of
                                  course surrender is a part of the mix too.

                                  BTW, here's a dynamite link by David Quinn that you might like that I
                                  ran across looking for O.W. Actually his whole sight ain't bad at all.

                                  http://home.primus.com.au/davidquinn/Books/Jesus01.htm

                                  Bob M.

                                  P.S. I find it's not good to put all one's eggs in the same basket.

                                  <jamesrovira@y...> wrote:
                                  > There's more to existence than the abyss, Bob. That was Nietzche's
                                  > problem. Kierkegaard saw the abyss then saw something else beyond
                                  it
                                  > that made it look very pale and small in comparison. Funny that
                                  > Nietzche never read K...even one of N's contemporaries said to him,
                                  > "you gotta read this guy."
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for the W. link, though. And I'll take your advice :).
                                  >
                                  > Jim R.
                                  >
                                  > --- "Bob M." <new_trail_blazer@y...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > K over N, you say? Not here. I think N fully searched every last
                                  nook

                                  > > and cranny of the abyss and in this regard outdid K. But here
                                  again
                                  > > it's been ages since I read K. Did you know Freud felt that
                                  Nietzsche

                                  > > had a more deeply penetrating insight into himself than any man
                                  who
                                  > > ever lived or perhaps ever would live?
                                  > >
                                  > > Weininger? Some of his biggie 'Sex and Character' should suffice.
                                  > > think you can find at least a pretty lengthy excerpt of it here
                                  > > online (maybe even the whole thing). I'd suggest you don't have
                                  any
                                  > > guns close by when you get into it.
                                  > >
                                  > > Bob M.
                                • <none>
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 1, 2005
                                    "If I choose that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You
                                    follow me." Continual worry about where other people are is just
                                    another way of avoiding one's own growth.

                                    Of course I agree the dark night is a stage. So is betrayal and
                                    failure. It eradicates all pretense about ourselves. Nietzche refused
                                    to face this, so I think his facing of the abyss as negation was BS.
                                    What he needed to do was negate himself, and that was the very thing he
                                    was unwilling to do.

                                    I don't think absolute self knowledge is the goal, though. I think
                                    it's a by-product. There are far more interesting things to know in
                                    the universe than ourselves.

                                    Jim R.
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 1, 2005
                                      There's certainly always some sorrow here to see good souls miss
                                      their mark Jim. But continual worry.....no. At least not anymore.
                                      What value has it (another heavy lesson here)? I was just refreshing
                                      myself with some K quotes as a result of looking for that link for
                                      you. HEAVY! HEAVY! HEAVY!. Yet I'm there (immersed head to toe in
                                      Kierkegaardian-likeness and beyond). Now to get a few others (that 1
                                      in 10,000 according to K - I think he said somewhere ) to 'let go'
                                      and get there themselves.

                                      If I'm correct you're 39 Jim. Good time for the leap. Don't wait too
                                      long. The mind crystallizes and the heart hardens with time. Many
                                      good souls, as I see it, tough it out through these critical years
                                      and as a result forever miss taking the leap. As I said before my low
                                      ebb in life came at 36, as did Nietzsche's. But essentially I
                                      suffered another 4 or 5 years in what then came to be a 22 year
                                      marriage. But at 41 I took the leap, packed it all in (the American
                                      Dream) and took up residence in a nearby mission. And from there I
                                      began to grow up and discover life all over again in a brand new and
                                      wonderful manner. And herein casting off all the old worldly
                                      conditioning and making being true to mine own self job one.

                                      "Far more interesting things to know in the universe than ourselves."
                                      You are right Jim. The greatest of them being LOVE!

                                      How was it said, 'know thyself' and ye shall know the universe and
                                      the gods? To which I would add, yes indeedy, and in a totally brand
                                      new and wonderful way.