Re: [The Existential Society] Did Kierkegaard influence my relationship?

  • Will Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
      James, if I can enquire, what do you mean here? What connotations do
      you give to 'self-absorbed' and 'full of it'? It may help to explain
      our absolute disconnect in things Kierkegaardian.

      --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, "<none>"
      <jamesrovira@y...> wrote:
      > I think if he did, he was just as self absorbed and full of it as
      > Kierkegaard was in his own decision with Regine Olson.
      >
      > Jim Rovira
      >
      > --- Melissa Lane <melissalane@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What do you think?
    • <none>
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2005
        We don't have an absolute disconnect that I can see, Will. We
        interpret one passage differently, but both believe the leap brings
        about an absolute change. I simply qualify that statement a bit (all
        this is in reference to a discussion we're having on the Kierkegaard
        list). But to the point, I don't think Kierkegaard had good reason to
        dump Regine, perhaps even wasn't sure of his reasons himself at the
        time, although there were some comments about her forwardness. I think
        that event was an exercise in bad faith on his part. I could work it
        out to the point where I saw -why- he may have felt the need to do so:
        he needed to devote himself to writing, he didn't want the
        distractions, he was married to philosophy, etc. But all this ignores
        why he proposed to her to begin with. He never quit loving her that I
        can see: he was faithful to her, emotionally, all his life, even trying
        to leave his estate to her. He was just a dummy on this point, I
        think.

        Jim Rovira