The Greatest Thing.....

    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2005
      Nietzsche's Zarathustra says that 'the hour of great [self]-contempt is
      the greatest thing that a man can experience'. That point of the total
      realization of the utter vanity of a life run on self-will [complete
      defeat - in the AA tradition] that must precede actual and complete
      psychological death & rebirth. Yet I find it is only those
      more 'intelligent and finely formed' [using Schopenhauerian terms]
      among us that have the manifest sensitivity to ever get to this point
      [bottom]. Krishnamurti also reached this same conclusion stating it as
      follows:

      "Only the sensitive can face the actual, without escaping into all
      kinds of conclusions, opinions, and evaluations. Only the sensitive can
      be alone and this aloneness is destructive. This sensitivity is
      stripped of all pleasure and so it has the austerity, not of desire and
      will but of seeing and understanding." J.K.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2005
        I shall add Christianity's main man's take on the matter here as
        follows:

        "If anyone comes to me and does not HATE his father and mother, his
        wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, EVEN HIS OWN LIFE--
        he cannot be my disciple." J.C.

        --- In theexistentialsociety@yahoogroups.com, "Bob M."